advertisement

Rega P8 or Technics SL1200G

Technics SL1200G or Rega Planar 8

• Technics

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Rega

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
Report back won't you. Wife would be very pleased if I traded in the Gyro for one of these.

Yes, I have a Gyro. And very fine it sounds. But I do wonder if life wouldn't be easier with a Technics and with good sound too. I've never heard one but judging from the comments on this thread and the conviction expressed, I think if I had the choice, I'd have gone for the Technics.

I did make me relieved I'd plumped for the GR after a few weeks agonizing over whether to find the extra £££ for the G. Couldn't live with the wonky platter in some of those videos.

I couldn't live with those wonky platters either, some owners/posters in that thread seemed ok with it though! :confused: One unhappy owner returned his £3000 SL-1200G to Technics who found the platter to be running .28mm out of true and said it was within Technics tolerance...unbelievable! o_O

I couldn't live with those wonky platters either, some owners/posters in that thread seemed ok with it though! :confused: One unhappy owner returned his £3000 SL-1200G to Technics who found the platter to be running .28mm out of true and said it was within Technics tolerance...unbelievable! o_O
0.28mm? Maybe he was used to Regas. ;)

Although the 1200G arm is perfectly fine, it can be made magnificent with $169 for the KAB 1000 Fluid Damper.

Its very easy to fit and completely reversible. I was considering replacing the perfectly good 1200G arm with something like a Jelco 850 or even an SME IV - but if either of these had given me half the improvement the damper has given, I would have been very pleased - but much poorer!
Yes, I had spent some time on the KAB website, as long as my 1200G doesn't have the wonky platter I'll probably be fitting an arm damper.

On another note, the comparisons between various Rega turntables and the older SL1200s don't have any relevance to the SL1200G - it is a completely different machine.

0.28mm? Maybe he was used to Regas. ;)

Has anyone got vinyl flat enough to notice a 0.28mm "wobble" .

Although the 1200G arm is perfectly fine, it can be made magnificent with $169 for the KAB 1000 Fluid Damper.

Its very easy to fit and completely reversible. I was considering replacing the perfectly good 1200G arm with something like a Jelco 850 or even an SME IV - but if either of these had given me half the improvement the damper has given, I would have been very pleased - but much poorer!

The stock arm is good however you can get better , I put a Jelco TK950S on mine and it is a better arm all round .

Use a 1210 in my cafe played 7 day's a week from 9am to 5pm. Has never put a foot wrong how old is it 20 30 years old ? You should really listen to them. You also want a good cart try to budget in a decent one or your wasting money on any of your choice of turntables if sound quality is high on your list which it should be.

What is the origin of the wobble? Is the bearing shaft off vertical or something else?

I have voted Technics. So much more sophisticated and no belt.
An extraordinary bargain.

When did people start reporting the wobble? I got mine 2.5 years ago and I would definitely have noticed that immediately.

I had a 1200 mk2 platter whose markings wobbled but not the platter itself, which was true.
It was nevertheless annoying (it was brand new) so I sold it.

When did people start reporting the wobble? I got mine 2.5 years ago and I would definitely have noticed that immediately.

No idea when people started reporting it. I chanced upon a running thread on the Steve Hoffman forum a couple a month or so ago. A couple of posters attached videos of their SL-1200s showing varying amounts of wobble.

I tried attaching the thread but no joy, probably due to my limited PC skills.

advertisement

Back