advertisement

Rega P8 or Technics SL1200G

Technics SL1200G or Rega Planar 8

• Technics

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Rega

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
Nor me, but you have to swallow it.....I don't think you can match that price anywhere else. I've seen used ones selling for almost the same.
I can't see how Technics are making anything on it. Even the packing is like nothing I have ever seen.
And people were complaining about the price of them !

I was wondering if it was about to be replaced, but if that was the case I'd expect it to be available at that price everywhere.

My only regret is that they didn't style it like an SP10 - and I fully understand that it wouldn't be an SL1200 if they did.

I was wondering if it was about to be replaced, but if that was the case I'd expect it to be available at that price everywhere.

My only regret is that they didn't style it like an SP10 - and I fully understand that it wouldn't be an SL1200 if they did.

'Replaced'..it's only just come out!
The styling is a bit 'bling' for me. There has been plenty of discussion about the appearance, I can see it from both sides.

If you want SP10-style buy the new SL1000. I consider the price very reasonable.
I couldn't justify the SL1000 because I just won't live long enough to wear it out.
I suspect there isn't much difference to hear between 1200G and SL1000.
The 1200G motor is excellent, it seems to have the torque of the SP10.
I have owned numerous top-end Direct-drives, I think the 1200G will be good enough for me to live with.

Brady's called the 1200G 'the sweet spot' of the range.

It is pointless to compare it with the 1200MkII.

There is a less DJ looking SL1500C now.

Technics-sl-1500c_cover.jpg

Er, use the Phono Output terminals instead of the Line Out, and change the cartridge!

Apparently that's too much hard work and they think it will be something like £500 cheaper minus these, it probably costs Technics peanuts to include a cart and phono stage so the idea that you might save about £50 off a £1500 is quite funny.

advertisement

Back