advertisement

Rega io not quite as good as 6k SET!

MVV

pfm Member
Just bought one of these from a fellow fish as a back up for the bloody Audio Note SET pre-power and have to report it is not quite as good.
Using it with Epos ES14s and the lovely little thing doesn't get very warm. The AN would allow you to fry an egg and therefore has to go to be mended a lot. It's got a loose connection now.
An absolute future classic.

I use 80mm computer fans, run at 5-6V*, to cool any valve or class A amps that I use. Quiet and effective.
* Basically, the lowest voltage that will allow the fans to start reliably.
Yes I noticed your post and plan to get one. I will be buying on-line, do you have a recommendation?

The Rega might well be a more reliable beast and definitely less electrically greedy (in its own power consumption and in the amount of air conditioning needed).

I definitely do not regret taking valves out of the power side of my amp and am looking for a good sounding solid state pre to rid my hifi of valves altogether.

I had one valve power amp than caught fire in front of me and a hybrid that emitted white smoke twice - both took annoyingly long to come out of standby...

The Rega might well be a more reliable beast and definitely less electrically greedy (in its own power consumption and in the amount of air conditioning needed).

I definitely do not regret taking valves out of the power side of my amp and am looking for a good sounding solid state pre to rid my hifi of valves altogether.

I had one valve power amp than caught fire in front of me and a hybrid that emitted white smoke twice - both took annoyingly long to come out of standby...

please make a thread if you find a preamp that you like. I’d be curious.

my favorite amp I’ve had in house was an 845 SET amp from Line Magnetic. My second favorite was a GaNfet amp. A class D/hypex/purifi/GaNfet will definitely be my next amp.

It was a bit light hearted. I literally bought it to stand in when the AN needs fixing. it was small enough to sit on the rack so no faff.
I thought I'd give it a go this morning and it always surprises me how good some budget stuff is, by three sides of Tracy Chapman I was tiring however, just a bit glassy and one dimensional but come on £400 vs £6000? We do live in a world of diminishing returns. Still the hobby tis what it is.

Yes I noticed your post and plan to get one. I will be buying on-line, do you have a recommendation?
I use more than one, and they came out of old computers, which is why I use 80mm, and they are suspended on elastic hair ties to avoid vibrations being transmitted through the cabinet. At the moment I am using 4, 2 blowing and 2 sucking, as the Accuphase E-800 is in a cabinet with doors, so would definitely overheat otherwise. 2 would probably be plenty in an open stand. I also have various old variable voltage PSUs, so I set one for around 6 volts. You may need to experiment to get the voltage right. My whole system runs off a master switch (for my wife) so they come on with everything else.

Reactions: MVV
Maybe the next amp in the Rega range would better the AN & you can do away with the hassle.

Or go the middle path of class A s/s amplification; Sugden, e.g. Okay, more s/s than SET valves and still a leccy-guzzler, but would give that 'middle ground' compromise. Even an A21 should be okay for ES 14s.

At a bake-off recently, a newly-bought pair of 300B SET amps and a breathed-on WAD 300B were heard with newly acquire Goldenears speakers (via vinyl and CD). Another friend's WAD 300B p/p heard in the previous bake-off was also very good, yet there was no issues expressed with excess heat; only the cost of 300B valves !!!! Is A-N stuff a bit prone to prob's?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Or go the middle path of class A s/s amplification; Sugden, e.g. Okay, more s/s than SET valves and still a leccy-guzzler, but would give that 'middle ground' compromise. Even an A21 should be okay for ES 14s.

At a bake-off recently, a newly-bought pair of 300B SET amps and a breathed-on WAD 300B were heard with newly acquire Goldenears speakers (via vinyl and CD). Another friend's WAD 300B p/p heard in the previous bake-off was also very good, yet there was no issues expressed with excess heat; only the cost of 300B valves !!!! Is A-N stuff a bit prone to prob's?
I think AN stuff is prone to problems. I wouldn’t have a pure class a amp myself but that is purely personal choice

advertisement

Back