advertisement

Rega io not quite as good as 6k SET!

I have no idea what a POA strategy is.
Price On Application.

Well done that man; I knew I recognised the abbreviation but couldn't place it.;) Those dealer ad's, maybe a decade or so ago, which showed POA against a piece of kit (Naim, frequently as that's where I was at the time) were counter-productive. Too many ad's with prices for anyone to bother finding out, surely. Initial impressions of POA ad's were that it wouldn't be competitive. Silly practice !

Well done that man; I knew I recognised the abbreviation but couldn't place it.;) Those dealer ad's, maybe a decade or so ago, which showed POA against a piece of kit (Naim, frequently as that's where I was at the time) were counter-productive. Too many ad's with prices for anyone to bother finding out, surely. Initial impressions of POA ad's were that it wouldn't be competitive. Silly practice !

Price on Asking or Price on Application would be quite common in the Art world and frequently used in the sale of classic cars or classic bikes but it seems a most peculiar approach for selling a retail item like an amplifier, CD player, etc

I recall Audio Notes' head designer was/is Andy Grove, I understood him to be a competent individual.
The issue with valves is that it has all been done and I don't see anyone developing things further, (Nelson Pass had something to say about this), in fact it seems that the Valve amp world actively trades on the nostalgic element, thus products seem to be a remake of old designs. I had understood that AN pride themselves on the quality of their transformers both in design and in use of materials, how much of this is true, or just price setting I don't know, but it is true that most of the performance 'issues', for want of a better expression, with valve amplification are set by the magnetic components and so it seemed like a laudable aim to me.

I understand that many of their more up market designs are built in the UK (Hove) and thus will be expensive.

On a personal level, I have been fascinated by Valves since I started experimenting with them as a kid, in addition to their look, I found the technology more relatable compared to solid state and even the added danger of HV made them more attractive! But as a HiFi user I have all but sold on my Valve kit, (I used to own some AN electronics), the experience was fun, much like most box swapping, but I found it offered nothing other than looks and the feeling that it needed me to nurture it, (it is relatively high maintenance) compared to solid state. After all, when designed correctly valve gear should do much the same job as solid state.

I can't really come to terms with its weaknesses being seen as a virtue, other than when you need a sound effects machine like a recording studio valve compressor or a guitar amp when the valve gear becomes part of the performers instrument and not the reproduction equipment. In this instance the performer has already applied the intended colouration/distortion, surely it is not for the listener to apply butter to their sandwich when the flavoring is already peanut butter. In the 30's, 40's, and 50's the listener had no choice, but we do have this choice now.

I recall Audio Notes' head designer

How many Audio Notes are there, I wonder. :D

My journey started with valves (Jason amp circa 1964) through early sand amps back to valves in the early 70s (RCA mono's), on to quadraphonics and thence up the Naim ladder and back to valves (EAR 509s) a few years ago. I guess, when you get into Vitus territory, the different presentational attributes are of an equal order, but no wonder valve amps have had such a comeback as they offer ambience, holography and insight simply lacking in many s/s alternatives.

My own EARs are just about the solid state version of valved amplification, but they were designed initially for studios. My aural intro to 300B SETs is to come as bake-off friends have variations of these (mono's as well) and I look forward to the experience (if they can drive my PMCs !!!) Highish maintenance and running costs, yes, but at least amps are turned off after a session, unlike the 24/7 Naim kit (we all learn :()

I must have been lucky with my valve amps. They just sound like good amps to me. Anyway, not buttered peanut butter.

Anyway, not buttered peanut butter.

Thar be peanut butter and peanut butter! I live on the stuff but don't give a monkey's for those with palm oil and additives. My Meridian is the aural equivalent of valves; pure, succulent and wholesome. :D

Mary, the one who stole my RME, gets through about a gallon of Pip n Nut a week. She does some disgusting oat thing.

advertisement

Back