advertisement

Rega 50th anniversary: what’s next?

Runs for cover

I believe Rega will sell many Naia to P8/P10 owners.
Good for s/h prices if your in the market for one of those.

LP12 owners that change over to Rega will surely happen.
You never know what level LP12.

Maybe even Solstice owners might be tempted.

When I was an undergraduate in the mid 70s pocket calculators were getting cheap and seemed to be getting cheaper each week. I really wanted one and eventually succumbed, of course the spec increased and the price dropped the following month.

I am getting a new turntable this year and am eyeing up the P3 Anniversary as a "not quite 6" which is what I'd really like/could afford. What I am hoping for is a P6 Anniversary, is that just silly? We have just over 4 months left and the Naia still to come, have we had all the announcements?

Am I going to end up ordering a Planar 3 Anniversary in December (and I expect there will be a deluge of such orders)?

Thats no surprise.
I'd not expect more turntables released for anniversary but you never know.

There were rumors of a flagship pre/power or revised Osiris and speakers.
Speakers makes sense since they currently have Kyte and RS10 range only.

In years 25 and 40, we got one turntable for the year. I can't see 50 being any different.
Not to mention that there would be some impact on Rega's annual turntable production income were they to make discounted anniversary packages out of every deck in the line. As things stand, Planar 3 50th Anniversary Edition is rather generous, and there is a new über-deck on the way. What more should folk be expecting?

Can't imaging the market for £9,200 turntables to be so huge so as to create a flood in P10 trade-ins
It’s all relative as Rega top end TTs don’t sell too sell that well on the 2nd hand market. Lots of Rega fans out there so eager to see how this all pans out.

The Right Angle Films Rega doc is now available for viewing...

https://www.rightanglefilms.co.uk/featured-video

I tried the link but it won't play on my 2017 Mac. SHMBO came to the rescue and allowed me to view on her phone using her ear pods.

Rega are different and I feel so proud and fortunate to be of an age to have experienced some of that since 1978.

Thank you to Roy and staff for a wonderful achievement.

Starting at 7:07 in I see that my prediction that Roy and Co. would be developing a new MM prototype employing a variation on the Ania/Ania Pro moulded body style with metal shield on has proven to be correct (if not obvious), this being based upon Roy's comments in a previous interview regarding them having been looking at magnetism and how it relates to MM cartridges. What isn't so obvious is whether or not they've incorporated their own take on induced magnetism via an ultra lightweight permalloy tube within the back of the cantilever, or stuck with a permanent magnet, possibly one that has somehow been improved from a reduction in mass without subsequent reduction in magnetic gauss perspective.

Rega-MM-new-prototype.png

Last edited:
It is interesting what one can pick up via being a virtual fly on the wall whilst watching these videos. For example, did anyone notice the Brio on a half clamshell with new Kytes on the window sill in Roy's room at the shop? I've still got one of these amps and it is a lovely thing to listen to. How about the torque setting on the Gedore Ergo QS series driver that was being used to fit RB3000 to P10?

advertisement

Back