advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

The Sound Machine Reading is it. Used to be twice the size and had another shop in Broad St Mall, one for HM, the rest of all music in the other. Used to be Bev, now some other bloke.

Always worth a look, the occasional gem turns up.

There is another shop selling records round the corner in the same Harris Arcade, I think 'The Collectors Centre' Been the once, no joy, old tat, high prices, went back a few years later, same stock, very stale, like a green bit of bread fallen behind the fridge.

DS

No. 1 Berwick Street has been taken over by Banksy. No records but lots of subversive art things. worth a look in.

Funnily enugh there are quite a few 'Art' or installation shops springing up in Bewick St is it.

Vinyl Junkies has been stripped out, painted white, has a few objects strewn around and is much like a gallery there. There are three or four others as well. This is obviously the future.

DS

The most excellent Drop Records is closing at the end of the year. Despite catering mostly to the DJ/dance end of the market, i.e regular, multiple-new-vinyl buyers, there's simply not enough of 'em for Drop to keep going. A sad loss after 5 yrs.

( ...what will I do without new dubstep within bleary-eyed -waddling distance of home ?! )

Martin, that is indeed an arse is it.

I remember buying a 2nd hand Alien Christ and/or Krid Snero vinyls there.

Suppose that will be the last one gone in Bath. I remember there being a couple of 2nd hand record shops up the road there, you know, on the corner and just past it, but gone that last time I tried to find them.

DS

Report From Brizzle.

Bad news is it, Rooted has shut down, shop emptied, no racks, all gone, so nowhere left with a range of D'n'B, Dubstep or modern electronics etc. I was hoping to get some Sandwell District there, but not.

Some good news though - Rise and Fopp are open in the Park Street / College Green area, and Rise had several hundred vinyls at reasonable prices, like the last James Yorkston at £7 there.

Also Prime Cuts had a load of CDs, DVDs and Videos out on the pavement in the rain outside a tiny shop in Cheltenham Road there, looking a bit forlorn.

DS

I found a new (to me at least) secondhand record shop in Reading on Wednesday - Sound Machine on Harris Arcade, off Friar Street. Picked up vinyl form Al Green and Nina Simone in excellent condtion for 3 quid apiece. I'll have to pop back soon when I've got more riffling time.
I go there whenever we go to Reading.

Rapture in Witney (sells a little vinyl) due to open a new shop in Cowley Road, Oxford in mid-February (where Videosyncratic used to be if you know the area). Looking forward to this with interest.

Kevin

Have just visited Sound Machine in Reading for the first time today. What a great shop and very friendly, helpful staff. Definitely one to return to.

Kevin

I have seen reports that DOC Records in Holloway has closed down and been emptied out is it.

Any N. Londoners able to confirm?

DS

Sadly it ends with people like me. I know a good few second hand record dealers and we are all working on line now.

The only reason a physical shop is of any use is that occasionally punters bring records in to sell. A shop is of comparatively limited use as a selling tool now; (a) rent is really expensive, (b) you need lots and lots of stock to fill it up, (c) old stock decays and devalues as punters inevitably bend / damage the sleeves, and (d) inevitably it only works in a comparatively small geographical area. The big city shops like MVE in London and Vinyl Exchange in Manchester will survive the longest along with large independents like Sister Ray and Piccadilly, both of whom almost certainly make most of their sales online.

It is a real shame that the small local record shops can no longer survive, it isn’t that the market is diminishing, just that it is changing. The good dealers are still out there but are now sitting behind their computer screen.

Tony.

The BIGGEST reason to visit a seconhand record shop is to inspect records before buying them. I tried ebay this week and bought two, both of which were filthy and unplayable.

Report from Leeds is it

Not so much an RIP, more a small tear. Crash have closed the downstairs 2nd hand vinyl section and it is now a skateboard shop.

Sort of a Rough Trade Covent Garden in reverse there.

DS

I managed to snag two box sets this week, Supraphon MS 109-3 Beethoven Sonatas and variations for Violonncello and piano- 3lp and the Archiv Production 22722-009 Bach harpsicord concertos - 5lp set. £7.50 per set.

Both in played once or twice condition...

Little shop in Sheffield.

Was that the Record Shop by the University is it there?

It was shut (too late) last time I went there, must try again.

DS

Just seen the new Yellow Pages ad which is an update on the old Fly Fishing ad. The new one is about a DJ who is tracking down a tune he made in '92. Goes to a few shops, naw never heard of that mate etc.
Recognised one of the shops as the stairs in MVE Berwick Street Going down to the bargain basement. Any others recognise the other shops?

I haven't seen that YP ad is it, I will seek out and report back when that has occurred there.

DS

Re Truck on Cowley Road in Oxford - wanted to get the new PJ Harvey last Monday to play in the car on the way to the office. Had a bit of a late start so dropped by at 10 am and it wasn't open! Sadly, had to loop round to HMV to get a copy. I know 10am may be early by some standards, but 4 days after opening I'd have hoped they'd be there. I was in the mood for a mooch and picking up some other stuff, but hey. Hope the shop flourishes but it'll help if it's open. I did wait for 10 minutes, grabbed some food from Tescos and saw 3 other people checking the door.

Slackers! Probably catering to lazy students who (if they're dong it properly) are still in bed rather than wage slaves like me.

K

Opening times for Indie shops can be a bit intermittent is it.

Went into That Ladbrooke Grove for a shop on a Sunday at 10.30am, only to find RTW doesn't open until 1pm! So shopping in the afternoons is what to do.

DS

advertisement

Back