advertisement

Record Cleaning Machines.

Has anyone with a project machine ever emptied the catch tank? I use it so rarely that it never manages to build up, I guess it just evaporates away.

I have, and it is amazing how much black gunk is hoovered up, Once cleaned I flush through with tap water.
Furthermore, I should add that if you do not empty it is will start getting heavy, but it does depend on the number of records you clean, I would say every 500 records cleaned it would need draining.

I have, and it is amazing how much black gunk is hoovered up, Once cleaned I flush through with tap water.
Furthermore, I should add that if you do not empty it is will start getting heavy, but it does depend on the number of records you clean, I would say every 500 records cleaned it would need draining.

I can understand it if you're doing loads in one go, but I only do them when I buy them, two maybe three at a push. Then it sits idle and I presume it dries up as we aren't talking about gallons of liquid here.

I just turned mine upside down and it's bone dry. I might have cleaned 6 sides in the past week or so and I'm heavy with the fluid too.

I can understand it if you're doing loads in one go, but I only do them when I buy them, two maybe three at a push. Then it sits idle, and I presume it dries up as we aren't talking about gallons of liquid here.

I moved on from my U/Sonic machine as I had a number of issues with it. I bought my current Project machine in November last year, and I must say it is one of my better investments. I have a very large collection of vinyl of which I have cleaned approx 1,200 records to date. And as I am selling off most of my collection via Discogs, E-bay and Privately, I clean my vinyl upon a sale, so it is in use virtually every other day. The downside is that I have to constantly move it from my conservatory into the Kitchen and if it is not emptied then you begin to notice the weight!!

I'm guessing this is as good an all purpose record cleaning thread as I'm going to find.......

I have a few records, all pre-mid 70's, that, even after a couple of thorough vacuum cleans, still gunk up the stylus with some non specific debris.

I allow lightly soiled records to marinate in cleaning fluid for 2 minutes and more heavily soiled vinyl for 4 minutes. I currently have one soaking for a lot longer to see if this sorts the problem.

Anyone else had this issue with vacuum RCMs?

A couple of record retailers have advised me to try wet playing vinyl as the very best way of clearing all crap out of the grooves of old vinyl. Anyone here tried this?

cheers

try a 2step clean or change your cleaning fluid
1st x Wash - cleaning fluid & 2nd x Rinse with distilled/Lab grade water

Before I switched to an ultrasonic I found Vinyl Shinyl Heavy Duty to work the best with gunk. I would give it a very liberal spraying then a steady clean with the felt. Next a good rinse under the tap before doing a standard clean and rinse.

I now use a Humming Guru ultrasonic. Much quieter and a lot less faf. Usually one wash then rinse cycle is enough for most records. The rest might need one or two more cycles. They say not to use any cleaning agents but Ive ignored this and it's been working great for nearly a year. Something like the Degritter could probably clean up in 1 cycle but costs neary five times as much.

I have played very "damp" LPs, off my Moth machine, a few times - no problems - the cleaning solution is just IPA, water and about 0.000000000001% surfactant (the liquids that people add are WAY dilute solutions already), what could that do?

If you are getting loads of crud after cleaning though, something is wrong............. (although a ball of fluff on first play after cleaning is not uncommon, but is removed from the stylus with either a gentle puff or with a swipe of a brush).

My moth - mount the record, apply the liquid and "scrub" pretty damned hard (the moth "brush" is actually a short length of long fibre draught-excluder) in both directions. Wait anything upto as long as the cleaning liquid takes to evaporates (go back to start), fllip etc.

I do not clean new records - never seen any benefit whatsoever - and either one cleaning cycle cleans S/H records or achieves 90% or so. Anything left after that is damage.

advertisement

Back