advertisement

Record Cleaning Machines.

My VPI 16.5 is, unscientifically, twice as noisy as my house vacuum. It makes an awful, awful racket. I have a set of headphone style ear protectors that does not leave its side; my ears will ring when I’m done if I don’t use them. This is not an exaggeration. It cleans very well, and has served me well for about 17 years, but the second I find a quieter - or, preferably, quiet - solution, it’s going up for sale.

I think some of the Loricraft machines are supposed to be reasonably quiet.

The VPI 17i isn’t too bad at all, I’d not choose to listen to it, but it’s right next to the right Tannoy so I tend to have music on whilst cleaning. It’s certainly no worse than my Miele vaccum cleaner on its middle setting. I borrowed a Moth at one point and that really was crazy loud. The Loricraft ones are quiet but painfully slow, now way in hell could you use one in a professional context.

My VPI 17F vacuum is loud and I have no doubt prolonged exposure to it will be detrimental to hearing. Thankfully it only needs to run in short bursts. I find the Clearaudio smart matrix cleaner to be much quieter.

On the other hand, I find the hissing sound of my ultrasonic cleaner makes me feel ill even when it sits 50 ft away in a separate (but not enclosed) space. And the cleaning cycle is usually 5 mins or more. There's some evidence that ultrasonics can be damaging to hearing even though the high pitch hiss seems less annoying to most people than vacuum noise. I am thinking of moving the cleaner into a room.

With the ProJect VCE my tip is to only use the plastic disc under the just cleaned side of the record so that it doesn't end up with any dust, so side 1 directly on to the platter, side 2, use the disc.

This is the other advantage of the Project VC-S over the VC-E. The exhaust pipe is on the side of the unit so no need for a disc to protect the underside of the LP. Together with the larger top plate capturing inevitible spills off the side of the LP, it makes the additional £100 a no brainer.

This is the other advantage of the Project VC-S over the VC-E. The exhaust pipe is on the side of the unit so no need for a disc to protect the underside of the LP. Together with the larger top plate capturing inevitible spills off the side of the LP, it makes the additional £100 a no brainer.

Thanks to Matt J of this parish (save £97 of those £100)
IMG-20200202-112556.jpg

It would be relatively easy to fit a tube over the outlet pipe, but I can't say i've noticed any contamination from the outlet on records I've cleaned thus far.

In normal use, cleaning a record or two at a time, there's really no need for anything. Just keep the surface of the machine clean or static will attract the dust.

As is the general consensus, get yourself some ear defenders if you go for one of the Pro-Ject or likewise vacuum ones. I've had one and it was unusable due to living mid terrace. I've also had a DIY Ultrasonic but couldn't be bothered with the faff involved, and a vacuum was needed after anyway for best results. Had a Knosti manual thing, and for the price it did a great job.

Then I landed the ultimate bargain by chance. I picked up a mint condition Keith Monks Archivist Duo machine for £180 and now I won't ever need another machine. Quite, and bloody effective. Buy a used one, no you won't get one as cheap as I did but I'd have happily paid way way more than I did

I suspect a lot depends on where you use the cleaner. Mine is on a carpeted floor, it is propped up a little for airflow, but only by a couple of cm. It is nowhere near the level I’d wear earplugs, and I tend to use them in even slightly noisy pubs (plus obviously all rock gigs). By saying that some cleaners are far noisier, I borrowed a Moth at one point and did use plugs with that as it was so loud. If at all possible I’d try and listen to whichever you are thinking about.

Hi Guys, Another vote for the VC-E here superb machine it is..

I bought mine from a bloke off eBay last year and found the VC-E came with a plastic 12” platter which the record sits on. My question is, does this come a standard when new? Because some guys I know who’ve got these RCM’s didn’t have the plastic platter..

Hi Guys, Another vote for the VC-E here superb machine it is..

I bought mine from a bloke off eBay last year and found the VC-E came with a plastic 12” platter which the record sits on. My question is, does this come a standard when new? Because some guys I know who’ve got these RCM’s didn’t have the plastic platter..
They didn’t come with it at first, but they do now. I think it was to ‘solve’ the issue of the exhausted blowing damp air to the underside of the record. I glued a half pipe to direct the air away from the record and don’t bother with the platter.*

*I see the platter as another possible source of contamination.

My Project RCM is the older full size black model, no platter included, exhaust out the side and the Project TT lid fits it also to keep it dust free when not in use. Fair enough it's not silent in operation but I clean all records upon opening and treat them to a nice new anti static sleeve, I generally only buy a few at a time and it's a fairly short process to actually 'vacuum' each side, the noise is no big deal really. Having moved house recently I had it packed away, I bought some new records on Saturday so on Sunday morning I got the RCM out and set it up in a few minutes, only to discover I'd packed the little brush somewhere else, it then took me an hour to find the bloody brush, typical :rolleyes:

They didn’t come with it at first, but they do now. I think it was to ‘solve’ the issue of the exhausted blowing damp air to the underside of the record. I glued a half pipe to direct the air away from the record and don’t bother with the platter.*

*I see the platter as another possible source of contamination.

Indeed. Post #87 above has a photo example of one solution to this.

Has anyone with a project machine ever emptied the catch tank? I use it so rarely that it never manages to build up, I guess it just evaporates away.

Has anyone with a project machine ever emptied the catch tank? I use it so rarely that it never manages to build up, I guess it just evaporates away.

That's how it is with my Nitty-Gritty machine.

advertisement

Back