advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

..which may well have contributed to the tension between their two characters to great effect. I found it an even better film watched again decades later, once all the hype had faded.

I was a huge Robert Shaw fan. From Russia With Love is by some distance my favourite Bond film, partly because it stayed relatively close to plausible and also because Rosa Klebb was pleasingly KGB, Putin is probably her bastard love child.

If they had adapted a bit more of the Jaws novel and lost the rubber shark, it could have been even better. There was no attack more terrifying than the initial one. There were also a of couple of other incidents where you didn’t see the shark at all that worked really well. Once the rubber shark appeared it got slightly comical and it was a clunky transition from the brooding menace that had built up.

Watched the first two episodes of 'Them: The Scare' on Amazon Prime. Interesting albeit the plot has yet to coalesce.

Just watched Tramps on Amazon Prime. A documentary on those heady fashion years transitioning from Punk into the New Romatics, talking to the remaining characters.

Loved it, want more like it.

Just remembered I’ve got a “free“ three months of AppleTV merely for spending absolute £lolprice an a new laptop. Any recommendations as to anything essential I should watch?

Just remembered I’ve got a “free“ three months of AppleTV merely for spending absolute £lolprice an a new laptop. Any recommendations as to anything essential I should watch?
Slow Horses (essential!)
Bad Sisters
For All Mankind
Ted Lasso

I was going to say:
Foundation and For All Mankind also, plus Invasion and Silo - but then they're kind of "Sci-Fi" and not that many people like that genre.

Also has anybody else noticed that Apple TV keeps logging out if you don't use it for a while? I can't say how long exactly, but certainly if I don't watch anything for 2-3 months I'll have go through the pain of logging on to the website and entering the code from my TV. None of the other streaming services do it.

I’m picking up on S3 of For All Mankind. I watched the first two series last time I bought something from Apple, though I’ve forgotten who everyone is and what happened!

Any good music docs etc? I’ll have a proper search at some point.

Shogun is top-notch TV. Beautifully filmed and with outstanding kimonos.

Othwerwise I'm struggling through For All Mankind S4. It's packed with annoying characters and indifferent acting.

Also tried Fallout, but it seems terribly mechanical storytelling to me, and quite cynical in its use of violence.

Masters of the Air was patchy overall, but the recreations of the actual bombing raids were nerve-shredding.

Severance, on Apple, is an absolute must. A high-concept show that is funny, sad and tense. They'll probably ruin it with the second season.

I’m picking up on S3 of For All Mankind. I watched the first two series last time I bought something from Apple, though I’ve forgotten who everyone is and what happened!

Any good music docs etc? I’ll have a proper search at some point.
There a really good Louis Armstrong doc with some unbelievable footage & it’s a very balanced, serious portrayal. Severence is also good, Slow Horses is a must & Criminal Record is excellent.

advertisement

Back