advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

I was surprised that I enjoyed Baby Reindeer. Everyone told me it was weird, with some really messed up scenes, so I wasn't sure I'd like it.
They were right, but it was an interesting story too.

Have been working through the 4 seasons of You on Netflix, about a serial killer who is trying to wean himself off the killing. First 3 seasons are pretty good, but the 4th season transfers the action to the UK, and comes across as a half- hearted homage to Guy Ritchie.

A family friend, Josh Finan is in it and talks passionately about the community spirit of the cast - series one was excellent
Your family friend is a superb young actor. A bright future is absolutely on the cards, IMO.

Watched Oppenheimer on Sky last night, way too long and not a great movie, good cinematography though but usual American we won the war shite.
I’ve watched it 3 times so far, thought it was so good I bought the BluRay. Like many of Christopher Nolan’s movies it isn’t easy, you have to get your head around the time-shifts, but I think it’s a great movie for sure. Cillian Murphy is outstanding, delighted he got the Oscar, the music is superb - worth hunting down the YouTube films about the composing process. Enjoyed Dunkirk very much also - another Nolan movie.

Last edited:
People have encouraged me to watch it (as they know about my interest in all things sciencey), but when I found out that it had a "sex scene" in it I decided to ignore it. I know the actual story of the bomb from various documentaries etc, I don't need to watch some "titilated" version.
As sex scenes go it isn’t much to get excited about, and certainly not a reason to either watch or not watch the movie. Scientists are as allowed to be as horny and unfaithful as anyone else. I don’t think it is intended to be the story of the bomb, surely it is the story of Oppenheimer, who he was and how he was treated.

I found it very dull & bailed after an hour. One of those films designed to win Oscar’s?

I thought it was a great opportunity missed I came away totally confused as to what Oppenheimer the man and scientist was all about but then it wasn’t really about him it was about the American military and that clown Strauss.

I‘d have much preferred to have watched a biopic of the man himself he did, after all, have a pretty shitty personal life wrt his wife’s death and his daughter’s suicide plus the death of Jean Talbot.

I’ve watched it 3 times so far, thought it was so good I bought the BluRay. Like many of Christopher Nolan’s movies it isn’t easy, you have to get your head around the the time-shifts, but I think it’s a great movie for sure. Cillian Murphy is outstanding, delighted he got the Oscar, the music is superb - worth hunting down the YouTube films about the composing process. Enjoyed Dunkirk very much also - another Nolan movie.
Aye I think it needs further viewing don’t think I could sit through it again to be honest.

Can‘t stand that jingoistic shite Trueman came across as an especially arrogant little shit.

As sex scenes go it isn’t much to get excited about, and certainly not a reason to either watch or not watch the movie. Scientists are as allowed to be as horny and unfaithful as anyone else. I don’t think it is intended to be the story of the bomb, surely it is the story of Oppenheimer, who he was and how he was treated.

Florence Pugh was very good but as I said above it was an opportunity missed. Having read a bit about Oppenheimer after watching the film I can see why they didn’t focus on him per se he was a bit of a mystic and he was all over the place in his life and in his science.

They basically portrayed him as an administrator.

certainly not a reason to either watch or not watch the movie
It is when it's gratiutous and there's simply no point to it as it adds exactly nothing to the point of the film. We all know people have sex, so what?

I’m enjoying Blue Lights on BBC. About NI policing.

Not seen any of it before - so started at series 1. Just started series 2 last night, series 3 just released. So plenty to get your teeth int/get bored of.

Heads up that the 9th and final (it had to be didn’t it?) series of Inside No.9 starts on Wednesday at 22.00 on BBC 2.

It is when it's gratiutous and there's simply no point to it as it adds exactly nothing to the point of the film. We all know people have sex, so what?

I agree however Oppenheimer ‘put it about a bit’ so I suppose in that context you can see why they put that scene in the film but they made a mess of everything so it’s obviously there to keep people interested.

Frankly I’d have liked to have explored more of Jean Tatlock’s life rather than just looking at her nipples as Oppenheimer was reading her Sanskrit, as I said a complete mess, they only used that scene to use the killer of the world thing.

“Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

A scene in the film “Oppenheimer,” in which the physicist is quoting a Bhagavad Gita verse while making love, has upset some Hindus. The information commissioner of the Indian government, Uday Mahurkar, said in an open letter the scene was a “direct assault on religious beliefs of a billion tolerant Hindus” and alleged that it amounted to “waging a war on the Hindu community.” He also said that it almost appeared to be “part of a larger conspiracy by anti-Hindu forces.”

It is hard to say how many Hindus were offended by the Gita quote in a sexually charged scene, but there were those who disagreed with the views expressed in the tweet. Pavan K. Varma, a former diplomat, wrotethat the controversy was a “misplaced outrage.”

Some others were not offended, just disappointed that the context of the lines quoted from the Bhagavad Gita was not brought out well. I should also add that Hindu texts composed over 1,000 years, starting around the sixth century B.C.E., have Sanskrit mantras for every occasion, including reciting some ritually before having sex. But they are context-specific, and certainly the Bhagavad Gita would not be used.

Just discovered a charming comedy on Apple called Trying. Hadn't heard of it before but a nice light hearted show about a couple trying to adopt.

Spy/Master on iPlayer looks very classy.

Wasn't someone asking about good spy films (or TV series) recently?
It’s pretty good, I’m a sucker for anything 70s & Cold War though.
I thought it was a great opportunity missed I came away totally confused as to what Oppenheimer the man and scientist was all about but then it wasn’t really about him it was about the American military and that clown Strauss.

I‘d have much preferred to have watched a biopic of the man himself he did, after all, have a pretty shitty personal life wrt his wife’s death and his daughter’s suicide plus the death of Jean Talbot.
There is a doc on him, thinks it’s on the BBC? I struggle with films this long, they rarely justify the investment of time.

advertisement

Back