advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been sort of enjoying this but to be frank, its a pale shadow of the first two series which were produced by the BBC before it went over to Netflix. Now its worse than "The Vikings", and that is saying something. The dialogue, acting and writing are various shades of wooden in series 4, and obviously the production budget has been slashed since the BBC days. I very much doubt that there will be a further series.

One of the best things about the earlier series was the portrayal of King Alfred as a great king, but a flawed peevish man. Now he's gone it has lost a lot of its mojo.

Michael Wood did a good documentary on his daughter Aethelflaed, the Lady of the Mercians - Uthred's love interest in series 4 of the Last Kingdom. But its currently unavailable. Probably be on BBC 4 next week then!

Yes, have seen the Aethelflaed documentary - Michael Wood's excellent.

Must admit, I enjoyed series 3 & 4. Agreed - Alfred was a superbly complex character and the show does miss his presence, and perhaps it has gone a bit "Saxon Sharpe" (silly really, I'd never spotted it before - Finan = Pat Harper!!).

I just finished watching Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees Broke: a Requiem in Four Acts on Youtube; it was probably on terrestrial TV or Netflix etc at one point but I've obviously missed it, and I don't have Now TV, the service where it's currently available.

Anyway, the documentary is about the devastation of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina and the (abject) humanitarian response that (barely) ensued in the aftermath. The documentary is in four parts, with two parts in each of the videos below:

Reactions: vuk
The Silence of the Lambs on Netflix - the scenes between Foster and Hopkins are gripping, as is the denouement. In a word, recommended viewing!

Watched Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods last night. Hmm.... I wouldn't recommend it tbh. I was kind of expecting an emotional film about 4 black Vietnam vets coming to terms with the past in the light of the present. And to be fair... there was a bit of that. But what was also there was a sort of sub-Quentin Tarantino heist movie.. and it just was not very good. Its as if Spike Lee was trying to make 2 films for the price of one. And both failed. It may hopefully inspire someone else to give us a more considered treatment of the African-American Vietnam experience and its aftermath.

The Silence of the Lambs on Netflix - the scenes between Foster and Hopkins are gripping, as is the denouement. In a word, recommended viewing!

We saw that at the cinema when it was released.

I have seen it a few times since via dvd, but the cinema viewing stuck in my head.

Well worth reading as well.

Binge watched the Wire last month, missed it 1st time round, thought it was excellent, will queue this one up - cheers!

We haven't seen The Wire yet, but I picked up series 1 & 2 of The Wire on dvd from a local charity shop before lockdown - 50p.
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgot about it.

We watched all of Bosch and enjoyed it. Couple of Wire actors in it and he has an interesting vintage system he plays jazz on. I'd never really listened to Art Pepper before but have done after watching this.

We watched all of Bosch and enjoyed it. Couple of Wire actors in it and he has an interesting vintage system he plays jazz on. I'd never really listened to Art Pepper before but have done after watching this.
Likewise I’d never heard of Art Pepper, now have a couple of LP’s. I’m not familiar with the speakers look like omnidirectional ones, the Amp/Tuner is McIntosh and the TT is Marantz.

We haven't seen The Wire yet, but I picked up series 1 & 2 of The Wire on dvd from a local charity shop before lockdown - 50p.
Thanks for the reminder, I had forgot about it.
The Wire is an absolutely extraordinary experience, one of the greatest tv works I’ve ever seen. It says on the cover of the DVD “Listen carefully”. Do so! You will not catch all the intricacies of the plot or dialogue the first time round, it’s unlike any tv cop show you’ve ever seen.

It’s based on real people/events, apparently they had to reshoot stuff as it was too accurate and would have given the crooks an advantage using Nextel phones as some sort of walkie talkie, so untraceable.

Real police, good police :)

It’s based on real people/events, apparently they had to reshoot stuff as it was too accurate and would have given the crooks an advantage using Nextel phones as some sort of walkie talkie, so untraceable.

Real police, good police :)
Yep, Ed Burns, one of the creators, was a Baltimore cop for 20 years, then a teacher, and David Simon, the other creator, was a journalist on the Baltimore Sun, so they know their stuff. Some of the actors, like Method Man, were the real thing too.

Yep, Ed Burns, one of the creators, was a Baltimore cop for 20 years, then a teacher, and David Simon, the other creator, was a journalist on the Baltimore Sun, so they know their stuff. Some of the actors, like Method Man, were the real thing too.

There’s an earlier series On The Corner that covers some of the same ground and has involvement by Burns and Simon.

The Wire and Soprano's are the best I've seen.
My preference initially was always the Soprano's but watching the Wire again last year.. it's certainly the best so far imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back