advertisement

Raven One part II

Chaps

Not herd much of the raven1 turntable for some months now. All you Raven owners anything to report? How is your raven sounding these days? Mine is sounding really good just as it was when I bought it from Graham 2 years ago.

jim....:)

Chaps

Not herd much of the raven1 turntable for some months now. All you Raven owners anything to report? How is your raven sounding these days? Mine is sounding really good just as it was when I bought it from Graham 2 years ago.

jim....:)

Still very happy with mine, with the Ortofon 309D arm and Benz Micro LP cartridge on top.
An improvement I have found and would like to report, without starting World War 3, because it envolves cables. I have to say I believe in the benefits good cables can bring, particularly power cables. I have baulked though, at power cable upgrades on turntable power supplies. The Raven has a great slab of precision German engineering, that only has to shift a platter at 33 1/3 or 45. How could a power cable upgrade improve on that? Well let me tell you it certainly does. I acquired a second hand Lessloss DFPC power chord recently and the seller suggested trying it out on the power supply.The difference was instantly clear. I have always had a niggling feeling about the Raven's clarity, a hint of lack of definition at the leading edge of notes. That completely resolved with the power chord, along with better base definition. The difference was obvious to me. I recommend trying out a cable upgrade yourself, you might be suprised yourself.

Still very happy with mine, with the Ortofon 309D arm and Benz Micro LP cartridge on top.
An improvement I have found and would like to report, without starting World War 3, because it envolves cables. I have to say I believe in the benefits good cables can bring, particularly power cables. I have baulked though, at power cable upgrades on turntable power supplies. The Raven has a great slab of precision German engineering, that only has to shift a platter at 33 1/3 or 45. How could a power cable upgrade improve on that? Well let me tell you it certainly does. I acquired a second hand Lessloss DFPC power chord recently and the seller suggested trying it out on the power supply.The difference was instantly clear. I have always had a niggling feeling about the Raven's clarity, a hint of lack of definition at the leading edge of notes. That completely resolved with the power chord, along with better base definition. The difference was obvious to me. I recommend trying out a cable upgrade yourself, you might be suprised yourself.

May be you should get 2 of this to radiate on your Raven 1 to go with your Lessloss power cable. It might rid of the thickness and improve the clarity no end.:D:rolleyes:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

David12....in the beginning I did try a reference 2m Kimber cord (i.e. braided) but couldn't hear any benefit at the time - probably because it was plugged into a power conditioner?
However, I've been using the Raven plugged directly into the Ring Main for a while now so perhaps it's time to check again.
Past experience showed that with a combination of susceptible gear and dirty Mains, Mains cleaning/normalising devices can still affect things which are plugged into remote parts of the Ring so the experiment may be a damp squib. Another thing to consider is the cable might be suppressing any hash being injected back into the Mains by the device it's powering (i.e. Switch-mode PSUs - not that I'm suggesting the Raven is doing this!) :) I will re-try the cable and report back....
Thanks for reminding me............Bill.

This review was done without permission and was not sanctioned by TW Acustic

It also compared the Raven-one to 2 turntables costing more than double the cost of the Raven-one

For clarity: the Raven-one arm board is made from aluminium, not bronze.

The rest of the Raven is made from a special polymer formulated by TW and made by Dupont, not "anodised aluminium" as stated in the article.

The turntable can only be fitted with two tonearms and one motor - not "two tonearms and three motors."

"The motor controller gets situated next to the motor. It’s quite large but does not interfere much" – there is a 1.2 metre length of cable so the motor controller can be mounted anywhere within 1 metre of the turntable.

Pretty much a worthless bit of text really - loads of factual inaccuracies.

Results with the braided Mains cable inconclusive I'm afraid. The power conditioner is still only 1m away from the wall socket in question so the result is unsurprising. I've checked recordings that I got to know well during the setup of the tonearm and I can honestly say that performances I was enjoying then I'm still enjoying equally now. This isn't a cop out but merely a way of saying that if I added up all the "5% incremental improvements" that my imagination may have wrought over the years, my system would be +200% beyond the 100% max vinyl data retrieval capability by now :)

Sometimes these threads sound more like religious sects than open minded discussions. There are lots of first class decks around..the Raven is just one of them. No more, no less.

Sometimes these threads sound more like religious sects than open minded discussions. There are lots of first class decks around..the Raven is just one of them. No more, no less.

There are a lot of first class decks around its just that the Raven-one happens to be better than most!

And if you can't believe what the distributor says about his product being the best who can you believe?

Could you point me to the dictionary where integrity is described as "spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about sourcing goods via less expensive channels, damning competing brands and always taking every opportunity to talk up your own lines."

I might be witless, but you're clueless.

advertisement

Back