advertisement

Quad 303-What speakers work well with it?

The 33 works perfectly well with a CD player. Use the Tape input after moving the sensitivity screws to the H position. I use my Quad CDPwitj it’s full 2.4V output into my 33 and can easily get up to volume level 5, 6 or 7 for normal listening.
Mmm..I was thinking about a situation where the tape input is already in use for something else. The question I was really asking was whether anyone has experienced having their 33 "modernised" by Amplabs?

Mmm..I was thinking about a situation where the tape input is already in use for something else. The question I was really asking was whether anyone has experienced having their 33 "modernised" by Amplabs?

I’ve got an Amplabs-serviced 33 but it’s back with Rob right now after I made a mistake thinking there was something wrong with it. It’s still got the standard rear panel. PSU is updated to 16V, new smooth volume control, plus a few other changes. It’s a late one so the earthing arrangement is different to earlier 33s, and so I ended up with a ground loop somewhere but thought it was something gone wrong so sent it to Rob. Should get it back soon.

I do have another 33 here that’s been serviced too but the filters aren’t quite right.

Tempted by the back panel upgrade?

Nah, I love the DINs! I got some very nicely made cables for it from this place:

https://www.designacable.com/audio-visual/quad-cables.html

I also have two Amplabs 303s - one with the new rear panel, the other all original. I’ve got a DaDa 34 (with DINs) which is great with both of these two.

** I spoke to Rob at Amplabs about the Quad 33 and told him I’m using a Quad 99 CDP-2 via its variable analogue outputs into the 33, with the output knocked down by about a third. He thought this was a great idea, as it stops overloading on the 33 inputs and means the volume control is used at its best area. If you have a DAC with volume control that would be a good choice too.

advertisement

Back