advertisement

Quad 303-What speakers work well with it?

reilly.martin2

Just dug out my quad 303 and have started using it with a pair of Jamo classic 6's which I bought for my son's system.

I was surprised how good this combination sounds and particularly so with clarity of lyrics. Argo recording of Britten's Gloriana-lyrics clear and sharp which has not been the case always with more expensive set ups I have had.

Anyway so pleased I am going to send the 303 off to Quad for a service and then I will give it a go with my Harbeth C7's.

Have used the 33 pre, a Rotel 965BX and Micromega Stage 2 CD which all sound quite analog.

What do you other 33/303 users partner to good effect?

Many Thanks

Martin

The 303 is a lovely amp as long as you don't over-tax it. Keep impedance above 8 Ohms and it's happy enough. It was designed to drive Quad Electrostatics and does that job very well indeed. Other classic partnerings are Tannoys (just about every UK recording studio drove Tannoys with a Quad amp back in the late-60s through to the 80s), LS3/5As / JR149s (the low efficiency is no issue as there are no impedance dips, both are 15 Ohm) and various big old 70s speakers like Ditton 44s, 66s, ARs, Spendor BC1s, Rogers Studio 1s etc etc. I have a 303 driving a pair of Klipsch La Scalas (large very efficient 3-way horns) and it does a very nice job there too. Basically don't ask it to drive low impedance or work too hard and it's a very nice sounding amp indeed - it just gets right out of the way somehow and never draws attention to anything but the music. I'd expect it to sound very decent with your Harbeths.

It's well worth trying an alternate preamp IMO as the 33, whist a truly lovely looking thing, is a bit too far out of it's place, time and comfort zone now. It was designed for far smaller input levels than the 2v modern line level signals and tends to clip in that context, i.e. you need to start messing around with attenuation plugs or cables etc. It's not that quiet either. The good thing is the 303 is an ideal candidate for a passive preamp as it's high gain (0.5v for full output) and has a very usable input impedance (22k). I'd be inclined to consider a little passive such as this as it will sound a lot cleaner, quieter and more open than the old 33. I use an old Audio Synthesis passive with mine, which is the same type of thing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use two 303s for rear and centre on my AV system. The centre speaker is a wilmslow audio gemini. It sounds lovely. I agree completely with Tony.

I went down the net audio update way which gives you a touch firmer bass.

Just dug out my quad 303 and have started using it with a pair of Jamo classic 6's which I bought for my son's system.

I was surprised how good this combination sounds and particularly so with clarity of lyrics. Argo recording of Britten's Gloriana-lyrics clear and sharp which has not been the case always with more expensive set ups I have had.

Anyway so pleased I am going to send the 303 off to Quad for a service and then I will give it a go with my Harbeth C7's.

Have used the 33 pre, a Rotel 965BX and Micromega Stage 2 CD which all sound quite analogue.

What do you other 33/303 users partner to good effect?

Many Thanks

Martin

Harbeth P3ESRs work well with my Quad 34/303 combination.

M Miles.

Thanks for replies and advice on alternative pre amps in particular, I do like the look of the 33 particularly side by side in sleeve with the FM3 but have been aware about it being considered the weakest link in the 33/303 combination . I am also interested in the comments about Net Audio mods I have seen the website and the various upgrades suggested. My understanding is that Quad will service on the basis of labour and any parts needed while the NA approach seems to be to do a comprehensive renewal of caps etc on basis they will be past their best in any case.

Does anyone have an idea what he ballpark figure is for a service with Quad?

Thanks again

Works beautifully with the early KEF Reference range; 103, 103.2, 104.

303....used sensibly, and well matched, is just lovely. I've kept one around for four decades (serviced) and it still sounds superb. I realise the 33 is a bit off the pace, but it's another lovely bit of design. Have it serviced, use an attenuator where necessary, buy the wooden sleeve and the FM3; you will have one of the best designed bits of audio ever made, and it sounds more than good enough.
This is kit which really has earned the title 'classic'. For me, the other bits of true classic UK made kit includes the Quad Electrostatics and the superb SME 3009 and 3012. Wonderful things, with deep engineering and design integrity.
Where did we go so wrong in the following decades? Design flair seems to have been largely ignored. Just an endless series of boxes, black or silver. Very little real charm.

As has been pointed-out, keep a decently high impedance, and avoid seriously inefficient speakers in large rooms, and you won't go wrong. I've used the 303 with a 100db Lowther based system (an ideal 15ohms) and it sounded tremendous, I've also used the 303 with 15ohm ls3/5a (about 83db) and that was fine....but not so loud.
With more modern speakers the impedance often hovers around 4ohm, which is not ideal, although it will work. The best match are surely the Quad electrostatics. Although designed for the 57, the 303 is decent with a 63, but again, not in really large rooms. The pairing of the Quad amp with the Quad electrostatics is about as good as it gets.

303....used sensibly, and well matched, is just lovely. I've kept one around for four decades (serviced) and it still sounds superb. I realise the 33 is a bit off the pace, but it's another lovely bit of design. Have it serviced, use an attenuator where necessary, buy the wooden sleeve and the FM3; you will have one of the best designed bits of audio ever made, and it sounds more than good enough.
This is kit which really has earned the title 'classic'. For me, the other bits of true classic UK made kit includes the Quad Electrostatics and the superb SME 3009 and 3012. Wonderful things, with deep engineering and design integrity.
Where did we go so wrong in the following decades? Design flair seems to have been largely ignored. Just an endless series of boxes, black or silver. Very little real charm.

Fits in with my own way of thinking and I gather in terms of design the Italians think the 33/FM3 combination are wonderful.

Have had the ESL 57's which I loved but the usual tale of their not being popular with my partner. I moved on to Harbeth's as I felt for a box speaker they capture some of the electrostatic midrange, she doesn't like them either but they have stayed. I am certainly sending the 303 for service and may well send the 33 as well

In my experience the 33 sounds rather dull, it also has too much gain for the 2 volt output devices used today. The volume control tends to be poorly balanced at low volumes. A real pain in the bottom for me.

Rob flain at quad is/was a good chap and you get good service from them.

Net audio like others suggest replacing all the electrolytics as most home users (including me) don't have the appropriate test equipment or knowledge to correctly diagnose individual component faults. This worked for my two humming 303s. The Net audio way also puts in better power supply and better output caps. When I use te term better it's because you can put higher values in with better performance than the originals. If I recall correctly quad themselves upgraded the output caps at one point.

Also there are two main board layouts for the 303 and several other upgrades that came from Quad. I look on the new boards available as only that which Quad would have done if they had continued to develop the 303. (They have developed the Quad 22 and QuadII)

Slightly more, IIRC I paid something like £110 for mine about 3 or 4 years ago, though that did include a nice new Quad shipping carton for the return journey. Worth noting Robert here on pfm does Quad kit, and very well too.

Slightly more, IIRC I paid something like £110 for mine about 3 or 4 years ago, though that did include a nice new Quad shipping carton for the return journey. Worth noting Robert here on pfm does Quad kit, and very well too.

Is that Robert of Audiosmile? I am picking up a 405-2 very soon and may need to get it serviced

Yes, he's got his own company (HT Baker Audio) that deals in Quad servicing. He did my 34/306, every electrolytic cap very neatly replaced and now good for another 20 years or so!

I'll vote for Rob, too. He did my 606II last summer, and genuine person that he is, only did what was necessary rather than replacing everything that "might" need it.
I'm using a Tag PA20R (breathed on by Mr. Green of the Audiocellar), the 606 and ESL63s, and everytime I listen, it takes my breath away, pretty much no matter what the music is.

Tempting me to have a try with my Harbeth 7's before the 303 has its service and now have Quad or H T Baker to choose from for service!

passive pre - 405/2 - Harbeth M30.1, Robert lowered the sensitivity on the 405 for me - very happy with the combination (and the service from Robert!)

advertisement

Back