advertisement

Professional Cooker Brand?

I read it on here, probably by @stevec67. Apologies if I misremembered
You didn't misunderstand. I've posted on here that the energy cost of glass is such that it needs 7+ reuse occasional to match plastic blow moulding. (Old figures, may have changed). Also, recycled glass is not as simple as you would hope. Put too much in and you shift the chemistry such that modern leers (sp?) can't cope and the moulding operation won't work. It's a complex situation.

Edit - it's "lehr".

Put too much in and you shift the chemistry

Never mentioned in my hearing or in my experience, but suspect that may be related to VAST %s of cullet.

Large %s of cullet are preferred as it acts as a flux and reduces furnace enrgy requirements.

When Thermos had a factory in Brentwood, they ran short of cullet and dug up a large portion of the site to recover the rubble from an old glass furnace so that they could use it in the existing furnace, the saving in energy was that great.

Never mentioned in my hearing or in my experience, but suspect that may be related to VAST %s of cullet.

Large %s of cullet are preferred as it acts as a flux and reduces furnace enrgy requirements.

When Thermos had a factory in Brentwood, they ran short of cullet and dug up a large portion of the site to recover the rubble from an old glass furnace so that they could use it in the existing furnace, the saving in energy was that great.
interestin g. My source is a French oenologue friend, he's a wine technologist like I'm a food technologist. Tough job. I'm not jealous. He knows, well, let's just say a little bit about glass bottle manufacture. He s seen a few. Because the French drink a reasonable quantity of wine (!), the vast majority of it in green glass, they have a well established recycling stream. But there's too much, and they end up using it in roads and all sorts. Apparently it's the green that buggers up the chemistry.
Back home in England, I recently helped a mate build a block wall. I ch opped down a block, it had green glass pieces as a filler. Well we ll, hello again. It makes cut blocks a pig to handle, without gloves you're bleeding in no tjme. I'll have to see if I can't check with my ex colleague who ran the lab at what used to be Redfearns in Barnsley.

Apparently it's the green that buggers up the chemistry.

I only ever came across uncoloured glass through work, but that said, most coloured glass contains very little metal oxide to produce the colour (mostly? always? iron for cheap and cheerful green beer and wine bottles. The green of glazing (float) glass - easyily seen on the edges - is around 0.1% iron oxide).

If recycling coloured glass was really a major hassle, it would have major implications for collection/sorting etc. I have never heard that this is so. In getting a specific tint, it may well be, but otherwise?

Slightly different, but we bought an Everhot 120i a couple of years ago. Best purchase I've ever made, and I would never go back to Rangemaster/Britannia etc. See: https://everhot.co.uk Having solar panels definitely helps though!
We are looking to get an Everhot 110i for our new stable conversion.
Sadly, I don’t think we will live long enough to get any financial benefit from solar, and the local council aren’t too keen on solar panels in conservation areas.

Put too much in and you shift the chemistry such that modern leers (sp?) can't cope and the moulding operation won't work. It's a complex situation.

Having just checked what a lehr is, this sounds even more unlikely - a lehr is just an annealing oven, which all soft (and most hard) glass has to go through after cooling from the machine that makes or works the sheet/bottle/whatever, otherwise you have something similar to toughened glass, but far less uniform/reliable, due to internal stresses.
Even glass bulbs for lamps have to be annealed after making - I watched the ribbon machine at what was Dema/SLi ouitside Chesterfield and as the mould opened on the machine, the bulbs just dropped onto a chain belt of the oven/furnace aka lehr.

All glass-working factories are littered with annealing ovens of one kind or another.

It may not be obvious to anyone not familiar with the process, but there are several shots in this, where the bulbs are dropped onto an annealing oven belt. One weird factoid - the moulds for the molten glass to be blown into were made, internally, from wood and "lubricated" with water (steam), which stopped the wood from burning as it produced an envelope around the glass, so the galss never actually touched the wood.

Just to illustrate what a total can o' worms the bottle debate is this website, https://www.grahampackaging.com/insights/glass-vs-plastic-whats-more-sustainable/

states the following (given that they are in business making plastic bottles......) -

the energy required to produce 1,000 24oz glass bottles is 8,910 Mega joules while creating 1,000 of Graham’s ThermaSet PET plastic bottles only consumes 7,458 Mega joules. In this case, that means there is an 18% reduction of energy used with plastic instead of glass.

In this case, a single re-use (not recycling via cullet) would save (a lot of) energy.

Glass raw materials have to be mined/quarried, but getting as far as monomers for plastic production is far from simple - the monomers basically do not exist in crude oil or natural gas - they have to be manufactured, which takes a lot of energy.

Take all figures with a huge pinch of scepticism.

It’s the ultimate logic, pointless looking for products that don’t exist. I’d generally pay more for something of quality but this does not seem to be the case with appliances.

All you can do is buy with the knowledge that it won’t last so why pay more?

Most cookers are extremely simple and spares usually easily available. I'd tend to go for something basic.

Smeg aren't particularly up market any more but my present oven is definitely better made than the 20 year old Baumatic it replaced. The gas hobs have barely changed at all, when parts of the old one corroded away i kept most of it for spares to fit the new one.

I've replaced all the important bits on our little Zanussi oven over the years.

Most cookers are extremely simple and spares usually easily available. I'd tend to go for something basic.

Smeg aren't particularly up market any more but my present oven is definitely better made than the 20 year old Baumatic it replaced. The gas hobs have barely changed at all, when parts of the old one corroded away i kept most of it for spares to fit the new one.

I've replaced all the important bits on our little Zanussi oven over the years.
The Pink Fish tendency to over think everything is very strong;)

We are looking to get an Everhot 110i for our new stable conversion.
Sadly, I don’t think we will live long enough to get any financial benefit from solar, and the local council aren’t too keen on solar panels in conservation areas.
I think I would still get one even if I didn’t have solar. Should be ideal for a stable - particularly if it’s a large room, as it gives a nice background warmth.

Why not approach a commercial supplier?
For the UK, sorry no idea. We purchased 2 ( for commercial use ) made to measure units 24 years ago. One was sold on in perfect order and the other we brought with us (emigration...again) 8 years ago.
This one has just had its first fault, mainly caused by lack of use and a very harsh climate. A gas valve has failed, seized shut.
A call to the original supplier and they're sending out the new parts ( nothing like it here ). Nice one Repagas.

advertisement

Back