advertisement

Professional Cooker Brand?

I would think a Lacanche will probably come in at 3X to 5X that. 'POA' sort of thing.

I love cooking, but not that much :(
Although at that price, I shouldhave bought one 10-20-30 years ago if a genuine reflection of the longevity/reliability of the cooker.

I'll see if I can find a ball park number somewhere.

Our Rangemaster Professional Deluxe is knocking on ten years old now and has been absolutely brilliant.

Its starting to get the same issue as @Alvarado mentioned in that some of the chrome trim is flaking off the knobs, but it’s a very minor irritant.

I think the ‘entry’ models of one of the posh French ranges is actually made by Aga, who also make Falcon and Rangemaster. A search says it’s La Cornue. You’re looking at a minimum of £4K for a better featured 90cm Rangemaster / Falcon range.

Truth be told, something like £4-5K is probably where any cooker should be to compare to the price and reliability of 30+ years ago, not be built down to the price of disposable ironmongery, which is where most are now.

Reactions: gez
Am I mad enough to splash £5K (round figures) on a cooker?
If its something you use everyday and it lasts 20 years then that comes out at £250 pa - peanuts.

Our Britannia dual fuel range is now 18 years old still going strong and never needed a service. It also can spit roast and has an interchangeable chefs plate/salmon poacher section. The Rangemaster that the builders supplied with this house was dumped after 3 years and was serviced twice before it failed the 3rd time.

A couple of years ago I had to replace the very old Carron at my parents' house they'd bought used in the late 70s. It gave sterling service until first the small oven and then the large gave out, by which time both spares and anyone who knew anything about working on them were long gone. Built like a tank. I was amazed to be able to replace it with a serviceable used Rangemaster for £300, including taking away the old one.

$_86.JPG
Pity they don’t make them like this any more. My Mum used one for over 40 years, not one problem.

Funny how everyone claims to be concerned about "the environment," and everything has AAA, AA, AB codes for "clean working," but nobody seems to worry about the massive damage to said environment by machines that last 3 years instead of 30 and the consequent environmental cost of constantly getting rid of old stuff and manufacturing new stuff. We have a 28-year-old AEG washer that works like a dream. When a technician came to replace the programming knob about 5 years ago, he almost went down on his knees to kiss the floor it stood on.
I've seen new washers with about a hundred progammes, with names like "Sweaty socks made of mixed fibres, fast colours, rapid eco-wash" that nobody, but nobody, expects to last more than 5 years.
Lucky you then, not everyone is. Its not our fault if they build in a short life span into appliances

Ultimately you can only buy what fits your needs & see how long it lasts. I wouldn’t pay £5k for a cooker personally but appliances become status symbols in the eyes of some. A mate paid £15k for a Wolf cooker, he has plenty of money.

Ultimately you can only buy what fits your needs & see how long it lasts. I wouldn’t pay £5k for a cooker personally but appliances become status symbols in the eyes of some. A mate paid £15k for a Wolf cooker, he has plenty of money.
And hopefully plenty of Wolves to cook, otherwise that`s five grand wasted.

Ultimately you can only buy what fits your needs

I don't see any logic in that - even the one in post 52 would suit my needs, very few cookers would not.

What I would really like for several reasons, is one that does not start to self-destruct after 2 years and although I could find the money (maybe that is "afford", I am unsure) for a cooker costing, £2K+, I feel very disinclined to do so.

One thought that has just occured to me - cars have gone the diametric opposite way to white goods over the past 20-30-40 years. Why?

Its not our fault if they build in a short life span into appliances

Actually I think it is our fault. The constant drive for cheaper and cheaper products drives the market to produce those cheaper products and the public's nature is to enjoy new things; "it's over 5 years old, I'm bored and I want a blue one"

Companies can only sell what people want to buy.

Reactions: gez
Actually I think it is our fault. The constant drive for cheaper and cheaper products drives the market to produce those cheaper products and the public's nature is to enjoy new things; "it's over 5 years old, I'm bored and I want a blue one"

Companies can only sell what people want to buy.
I think thats just what they want us to think. I dont want to buy a washing machine that has monkey metal as its main bearing holder.
No one ever asked me, and I certainly didnt ask for it.
Its like plasic milk bottles, its still possible, locally, to have milk delivered, and, in a glass bottle. Hardly any diiference in price.
Just saying

companies make stuff to maximise profit that appear attractive to the consumer.

I dont want to buy a washing machine that has monkey metal as its main bearing holder.

no one cares what you want or dont want. You will always need to buy from the choice available or not have the appliance.

around here there is BTW a significant price difference between milk in a glass bottle delivered and that we buy with our shopping

advertisement

Back