advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Hi,

Since 2 weeks I own the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2. Thanks to the information I found here I know now how to handle the various settings. I use an iMac running Audirvana Plus 3 USB out. I modified the OSX High Sierra so that Audirvana can run up to DSD256 in direct mode. Preferred settings on S2: Distortion Compensate On / Fast Roll off. Between the iMac and the S2 I have an iFi USB power USB 2.0 which leads to a firmer bass and a good wide soundstage. Even with the iMac off the S2 stays on 24/7 thanks to the iFi USB power.

That's interesting I haven't yet played with the S2 settings I'll try your recommendations (remembering to press to confirm the settings as detailed above!)

Hi,

Since 2 weeks I own the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2. Thanks to the information I found here I know now how to handle the various settings. I use an iMac running Audirvana Plus 3 USB out. I modified the OSX High Sierra so that Audirvana can run up to DSD256 in direct mode. Preferred settings on S2: Distortion Compensate On / Fast Roll off. Between the iMac and the S2 I have an iFi USB power USB 2.0 which leads to a firmer bass and a good wide soundstage. Even with the iMac off the S2 stays on 24/7 thanks to the iFi USB power.

That's interesting I haven't yet played with the S2 settings I'll try your recommendations (remembering to press to confirm the settings as detailed above!)

@Einstein thanks for the report! Looking forward to hearing your listening impressions.

@slavedata yes please do try those settings — Distortion Compensation on, Fast Rolloff filter — and let us know if you hear a difference and if you like them.

Those settings are also recommended by the developer of HQ Player after extensive testing in his lab. (He posts on ComputerAudiophile as "Miska". But I think we've discussed other forums enough today. :—)

OK I'll PM you a link to the update, but MQA local file playback problems are usually an issue with foobar2000 setup. See my note on the user manual in the same download folder.
Thanks for the files. s2 is now playing MQA via foobar2000. Updating to firmware revision v2.12 did the trick for me.

A few things that I observed:
1. Without ASIOProxy, foobar2000 volume control doesn't work. Volume is held at maximum. To control volume via foobar2000, I installed ASIOProxyInstall-0.9.4.exe.
2. With s2 connected via USB (Windows 10), computer screen will not automatically go on standby (turn off) when there is no keyboard or mouse activity (Power & sleep - Screen - When plugged in, turn off after setting).

Have you or anyone played DSD512 via foobar? I can only play DSD512 via the DSD Processor with output set to DSD256.

Many thanks again.

OK I'll PM you a link to the update, but MQA local file playback problems are usually an issue with foobar2000 setup. See my note on the user manual in the same download folder.
By the way, out of curiosity, tried playing DSD1024 via foobar2000. It crashed foobar2000.

Thanks for the files. s2 is now playing MQA via foobar2000. Updating to firmware revision v2.12 did the trick for me.

A few things that I observed:
1. Without ASIOProxy, foobar2000 volume control doesn't work. Volume is held at maximum. To control volume via foobar2000, I installed ASIOProxyInstall-0.9.4.exe.
2. With s2 connected via USB (Windows 10), computer screen will not automatically go on standby (turn off) when there is no keyboard or mouse activity (Power & sleep - Screen - When plugged in, turn off after setting).

Have you or anyone played DSD512 via foobar? I can only play DSD512 via the DSD Processor with output set to DSD256.

Many thanks again.

By the way, out of curiosity, tried playing DSD1024 via foobar2000. It crashed foobar2000.

Interesting about ASIOProxy. I don't know why it would fix that volume problem, but it did, so let's just be happy. Sometimes I think every Windows installation is unique... (I mention ASIOProxyInstall in my notes because, if you follow the Pro-Ject directions, that file is not included in any download, most of us haven't installed it, and haven't needed it.)

Regarding DSD, if you have installed the latest 4.38.0 driver then DSD512 should work with no further adjustment. Funny about DSD1024: although it was mentioned in early marketing materials for the Pre Box S2 Digital, that appears to have been a mistake and it is not supported. DSD512 should work though. I only own DSD256 files, and have done no upsampling, but many others have. I believe some have done so with foobar2000, and many with HQ Player.

The Windows standby issue may be caused by something designed into that PC. Perhaps one USB port has a priority of some kind. Try plugging the "S2" into a different USB port. #Computers...

I also have that problem, I think the DAC or my iFi nano iUSB3 keeps the computer from going idle. Not a big issue though, and I imagine some Windows USB settings could solve it.

I use PreBox S2 for a while now.
I really like the box, I use it purely as DAC, feeding dedicated headphone amplifier and Beyerdynamics Amiron Home headphones. As I transport I use USBridge.
After few weeks of testing and listening to a lot of different music I can recommend this as a very decent DAC.
For TIDAL streaming (FLAC 16/44,1) via Roon I use Minimum Phase Fast RollOff or Linear Apodizing. (I am not doing any software upsampling in Tidal).
For hi-res music I (24/192) I use the Optimal Transistant.
For MQA from Tidal, well, built in MQA filters. A lot of people do not care about MQA, or even think this is very bad. Well. I won't buy digital download in MQA for sure, but for streaming via Tidal, for me it is nice feature, because I can always choose: FLAC or MQA. So for me support for MQA in Pre Box S2 is added value. At least I can have my own opinion on that topic.

All 3 options work fine, I am satisfied with sound quality of the whole headphone system. And with the remote control it is so easy to switch the filters. Distortion Compensate I set to Enabled.
I also did some test with DSD64/256 files, no issues with playing in Native or DoP modes.

Final verdict, it stays together with Allo USBridge/Roon/Tidal as my digital music source. I see no need for better DAC for my system.

PS. I was thinking about this yesterday, what a time, how lucky we are. With all modern digital music downloads, streaming services, software like Roon, DAC we can just listen to almost every piece of music someone recorded all over the world. Amazing. All of this for a reasonable price. When I was young, in Poland the only way to get some "Western world" music was to listen to the radio and record onto the analog tape. Then after 1989 some dedicated shops appeared, so for premium price you ware able to order some music from US, and get it after few weeks of waiting. Then Amazon ordering. And now? Click and enjoy. Perfect time for music lovers!

PS2. I also ordered LPSU for the DAC, Nostromo 5V/1,5A. Now I am convinced it stays so it is worth investing additional 90 EUR.

PS. I was thinking about this yesterday, what a time, how lucky we are. With all modern digital music downloads, streaming services, software like Roon, DAC we can just listen to almost every piece of music someone recorded all over the world. Amazing. All of this for a reasonable price. When I was young, in Poland the only way to get some "Western world" music was to listen to the radio and record onto the analog tape. Then after 1989 some dedicated shops appeared, so for premium price you ware able to order some music from US, and get it after few weeks of waiting. Then Amazon ordering. And now? Click and enjoy. Perfect time for music lovers!

So so true. For under USD$2000 total for a complete system, you can have access to the sound quality and library size (via Tidal or Deezer) that 10-20 years ago would only be a dream.

This is a really wonderful DAC. A couple of very minor quirks remain.

John W discussed some screen display things he was working on (like level meters and other things).

I wonder if Pro-Ject are still engaging with him for some additional work on this DAC or if John is now 'off their books' :-(

Bought an S2 a few weeks ago essentially to run a Raspberry Pi. I also run TV through the Optical input.

First problem was that It wouldn't run two UBS's (the Pi and the hard drive attached to Pi) which I solved by using an adapter to power USB With a Teddy Pardo Power Supply.

Now I get something weird. Every now and again, when I've been listening to the pi, I get no sound when I switch back to optical for TV. If I leave it alone, after about 2 minutes, sound will suddenly come back.

Am I doing something wrong? is set up wrong? is S2 faulty?

It seems to me that John W is not so proud of this Dac, he doesn't post as often as with the Mdac, or is it because he's not working for the Project anymore?

It seems to me that John W is not so proud of this Dac, he doesn't post as often as with the Mdac, or is it because he's not working for the Project anymore?

I'm sure he's as proud of it as he can be given Pro-Ject's dubious sourcing and support, but he did this on a development contract and he's not paid to help us. I don't know whether Pro-Ject told him to stop posting, or if he decided there'd be no end to this unless he pulled back, or if he's simply overwhelmed with his MDAC2 project. But I do know he's very active on the MDAC2 thread.

Bought an S2 a few weeks ago essentially to run a Raspberry Pi. I also run TV through the Optical input.

First problem was that It wouldn't run two UBS's (the Pi and the hard drive attached to Pi) which I solved by using an adapter to power USB With a Teddy Pardo Power Supply.

Now I get something weird. Every now and again, when I've been listening to the pi, I get no sound when I switch back to optical for TV. If I leave it alone, after about 2 minutes, sound will suddenly come back.

Am I doing something wrong? is set up wrong? is S2 faulty?

I just switched between a USB source (a Windows PC) and an optical source (a Squeezebox Touch) multiple times with no such problem. There are a few seconds of delay before I can adjust the volume control after switching, but that's not the same thing. Can you try using different sources? Then you'll know whether it's your S2 or something else.

I'm not convinced running the S2 and the Pi from a linear power supply is a good idea. The Pi seems to feed back noise that negates the benefit of the linear supply. My system with a Pi with an Allo Digione is best with just the S2 on the linear supply. As the Digione has been carefully designed to isolate audio from the Pi's noise this is no hardship.

I'm not convinced running the S2 and the Pi from a linear power supply is a good idea. The Pi seems to feed back noise that negates the benefit of the linear supply.

Absolutely. Linear power supplies are great for analog circuits, but less ideal for high-speed switching digital systems.

I found some more post on the Roon forum, so he's indeed proud of it.
Since everybody is praising usb input as the best input, can someone test spidf in. Is this good too? Does it support 192khz on the optical input?

advertisement

Back