advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

I'm watching the BBC News. Five minutes into the news they show footage of our elected Prime Minister giving tribute. The contrast between the two gentlemen was striking.

I remember when Diana died, I was on my way to work at Clouds House Rehab as a chef, it was a bit of a drive and way back in the day and I enjoyed nothing more in those early early hours than listening to a bit of music on the car radio, and they took over the bloody lot, just a dull voice saying diana had died, I was miffed I can tell you. But hey ho, I have not watched terrestrial TV in like 3 years so RIP Phil, you never did me any harm.

Why should a forum be different from life? Just like life, there are always people who have to thrust their views in your face, even when (they have had to be) asked to be respectful. That’s a display of entitlement which seems to do more harm to the poster than good, but then, there are no meaningful consequences for selfish rudeness are there?

This really doesn't make good reading for an anti fascist such as yourself now we've gone beyond the immediate RIP part of the thread...

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/10/the-fascist-sympathies-of-britains-aristocracy
Yes, it's not as though fascism ever had working and middle classes supporters is it? I sometimes wonder how some of the righteous among us would have behaved when faced with the economic ruin and political collapse of the old order in Europe after the Great War.

I'm a republican by instinct, but I worry for the future of this country even more so once the Queen is gone, and I will miss the color Philip bought to public life.

For an RIP thread there sure is a lot of ranting about people and things that that The Respectful don’t like. I guess we’re in for a week or so of this across all media, and it will be disrespectful to point it out.

For an RIP thread there sure is a lot of ranting about people and things that that The Respectful don’t like. I guess we’re in for a week or so of this across all media, and it will be disrespectful to point it out.
There seems to me to be a reasonable balance of ranting between the Respectful and Disrespectful apropos their likes and dislikes. I don't feel it disrespectful to point this out: it's merely an observation.

I remember when the Queen Mother died, I attended a foot by match shortly after. The entire stadium stood for a minutes silence apart from auntie who stayed sat down & insisted her daughter did the same.

I found this rather disrespectful even though I am not a royalist. I think as you get older you realise that even people you don’t care for meant an awful lot to others.

HRH Prince Philip, The Duke Of Edinburgh - An Apology

As editor and proprietor of The Daily Scroat, I would like to apologise for any impression my papers may have given over several years that the late Duke Of Edinburgh was an over priviledged, grumpy old curmudgeon out of touch with the modern world, prone to embarrassing gaffs and not a averse to a bit of casual racism.

I now realise, that he was in fact an inspirational leader and genius military tactician before becoming a thoughtful, altruistic environmentalist who just happened to allow HM Queen to marry him. I unreservedly apologise for any misleading impression my paper may have given prior to yesterday's sad news.

A life of total service to his wife, and adopted Nation, well-lived, for a very long time; not bad for a nominally-titled, but essentially homeless & penniless refugee, reviled as an unsuitable 'foreigner', even a 'Hun' well into his 30s by the Establishment despite his Naval service even then. And his Naval service is worth reading about.

We shall not see his like again.

Agreed, and throw in for good measure WWF and DoE.

He was still active in public service until, 96 years of age. Remarkable.

RIP, Prince Philip.

He started a fine naval career (abridged by his royal career). He didn’t seem to take himself too seriously, and he was probably the hardest-working royal of the lot: charities, inaugurations, etc.

My wife says he was very, very handsome as a young man - the epitome of the dashing young naval officer. No wonder Princess Liz fell for him.

advertisement

Back