advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

Glad the Duke had a good send off, but my God the fawning coverage on tonight's BBC news with that pompous twerp Witchell would have had seasoned royalists thinking it's a bit much.

Can't our NHS sort that out for you?

I had the (torn) cartilage out of that knee in 1978. It was then fine until about 15 years ago.
13 years ago an orthopaedic surgeon told me I needed a knee replacement. I asked when it would be done and he replied it wouldn't. I asked why. He replied with these exact words. "Because your heart's ****ed and you've just had a stroke." No beating about the bush with that bloke. He gave me a steroid injection as a sort of consolation prize. It worked for about 20 minutes.
I've asked for a few second opinions etc.. but it seems to be down to finding a surgeon AND anaesthetist willing to do the job. I.E. Confident they can do it without killing me. My heart has deteriorated since. Nowhere near critical.. but it's only going one way.
Until a few weeks ago I could usually walk around 6000 -10000 steps every other day... but would be in pain after and useless next day. Now I'm struggling to walk 1500. Getting up and down stairs is a nightmare.. and I have constant knee pain.. which even wakes me up in the night.
I suspect that if this had occurred in the middle of last year.. I'd have had surgeons queueing up to do the job... due to wholesale cancellations due to covid.
Sadly, the backlog has now kicked in..
I have an appointment for a phone consultation with the local physio service next week. We'll see what transpires.
Ohh.. and my other knee.. which has been doing much of the heavy lifting for years.. is now also complaining.
Ageing is a bitch. but it beats the alternative..;)

After fully covering the funeral..they immediately launched into a news bulletin..featuring.. you've guessed it.

we thought the aftershow was great, additional detail we missed before. Analysis, comment and opinion, what else could you want for. We wished it went on until midnight.

Caught the ‘highlights’ on the news. Rather liked the minimalist and sparse COVID aesthetic.

WOW! Was not expecting that.

I was expecting Chelsea to play deep and hopefully get a goal on the break, but Chelsea went toe to toe with Man C. We out Man-Citied Man City. Brilliant team performance, deserved win and a sign of some potential going forward

I know you were excited but was this meant to be posted in this thread? ;)

Classy funeral, pitched just right. The horns choir and bagpipes just superb. Was a bit worried old Liz would wobble into the gaping hole to the crypt...

we thought the aftershow was great, additional detail we missed before. Analysis, comment and opinion, what else could you want for. We wished it went on until midnight.
Indeed. It's a pity the BBC can't take a similarly thorough approach when reporting on UK politics.

Agree about the coverage but is was a nicely judged funeral with some touching moments. It’s relative domesticity,(relative to the usual State type), was refreshing and felt more modern.

I'm an intellectual republican, by that I don't mean I'm a clever chap and that all Royalists are stupid, I just think that logically in this day and age one can't really be anything else. But, whatever, we are where we are, and we could have done a lot worse than the present Queen and Prince Philip.

Anyway, I didn't plan to watch the funeral but in the end I did, and I thought it hit just the right note and was all the more impressive for being scaled down. I did feel very sorry for the Queen who cut such a lonely figure. I wondered why on earth Charles and Camilla couldn't have sat with her. Surely they must be in some sort of Regal bubble? Having said that, I can well imagine the organizers being frightened of putting a single foot wrong with respect to covid for fear of provoking endless whingeing on pfm.

Glad the Duke had a good send off, but my God the fawning coverage on tonight's BBC news with that pompous twerp Witchell would have had seasoned royalists thinking it's a bit much.
I suspect there were a lot of people on TV looking to enhance their chances of appearing in the honours list at some time.

For solid practical reasons the senior Royals have been kept well apart in separate bubbles. You can’t have them potentially at risk of contracting a dangerous virus from each other!

I wonder if he actually banned Johnson from attending, I mean- not just one distant German relation on the invitation list but three ahead of the Prime Minister!

Caught a bit of it by accident, talking of accidents, they might have crashed the land rover for authenticity.

advertisement

Back