advertisement

Prime Suspect: Is this the worst thing I’ve ever seen?

I don’t mind non-demanding drama but really don’t like jolting shifts of tone. Who thought that the idea of a forensic scientist singing ‘Angel’ at the end of an episode was a good idea?

I watched with the sound off as suggested in the title but witnessed only that silent movies haven't come on much.

Not being a big TV viewer only this thread taught me that these two series aren't the same thing. Silent Witness is that one with the horrid theme tune sung by a male soprano or countertenor. I was under the impression that somewhere down the line Helen Mirren had been in Silent Witness and Prime Suspect was something entirely different; I was thinking of that other La Plante series Widows.

It's complete BS, and the UK version of Quincy. There are 2 problems with the show:
1/ No pathologist anywhere would get involved in police cases to the extent of carrying out such investigations as shown in the programme e.g. hunting down & interviewing suspects etc.
2/ After the first 3 times when the pathologist pointed out gaps/mistakes etc in the police work, and was later proved correct, any subsequent interventions from the pathologist would be met with 'you're probably right, you have been on every occasion previously, so we'll take your word for it'. Bingo, no show.

It's complete BS, and the UK version of Quincy. There are 2 problems with the show:
1/ No pathologist anywhere would get involved in police cases to the extent of carrying out such investigations as shown in the programme e.g. hunting down & interviewing suspects etc.
2/ After the first 3 times when the pathologist pointed out gaps/mistakes etc in the police work, and was later proved correct, any subsequent interventions from the pathologist would be met with 'you're probably right, you have been on every occasion previously, so we'll take your word for it'. Bingo, no show.

It's almost like it's a work of fiction. A drama almost... ;)

Sadly Dr. Green, the pathologist in the Yorkshire ripper case repeatedly told the police that the non prostitute attacks were the work of the same guy

Poor. It’s made like they have half an eye on selling it to American tv without the latter having to put themselves out to make their own version. The female lead is particularly one dimensional. I did like the seriously ugly guy leading the investigation, the corpse was pretty good too.

Well last night, Emilia decided to suspend her long distance relationship with some bloke in the USA and resort to banging one of her students. Sadly, I was in typical dozing off mode at the time, so I may have to re-watch that bit...

Well last night, Emilia decided to suspend her long distance relationship with some bloke in the USA and resort to banging one of her students. Sadly, I was in typical dozing off mode at the time, so I may have to re-watch that bit...
Instant sacking.

Pete

I'm not sure. Is she a 'guest lecturer'? Does the fact that her students are all over 21 make a difference?

Wifey and I have an agreement whereby we watch the telly together an hour each evening. A bit more if it’s Inspector Montalbano or the like. She quite likes Silent Witness so I’m destined to watch the whole series. Just for a break after episode two ground shakily to a conclusion, I negotiated an episode of Wycliffe. We both like this as it’s filmed in our area so we can play spot the location (they hired our house once for a day: £400 twenty years ago).
Its steady, slightly old fashioned stuff with proper goodies and baddies that over-egg it a bit. Anyways, it turned out to be the most bizarre, unbelievable episode ever, like the director was on acid. So that’s my only avenue for avoiding back to back SW blocked.
We have ‘Cracker’ box set. Maybe I can negotiate a story off that after we watch SW episode four tonight !

Well wasn't it a beaut!! And the most horrific thing was the return of 'Professor' Sam Ryan.. a.k.a. Amanda Burton, in the trail for the next episode.. the one who used to spend at least 50% of each episode squinting quizzically into the middle distance...

Hmm i've always felt it was 'ok', if on a downward spiral of naffness over the years but the rave reviews posted above made me have a look at 'my brother's keeper' on iPlayer; Jesus help me, it is shockingly bad, sub afternoon ITV bad, cliched, box ticked, hair dyed, corny crap. I gave it 20 minutes and had to turn it off.

advertisement

Back