advertisement

Preamplifier necessity?

In your experience, are ladder type attenuators with a constant impedance better performers than the variable impedance shunt type?

I haven't compared them for sound quality but there are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each type. Much would depend on the output impedance of the source. The ladder type is more complicated and expensive to make as well. With a reasonably low source impedance I wouldn't really expect much difference between them.

I haven't compared them for sound quality but there are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each type. Much would depend on the output impedance of the source. The ladder type is more complicated and expensive to make as well. With a reasonably low source impedance I wouldn't really expect much difference between them.

Appreciated. Thanks :)

A TVC like this one http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/am_rs_e.html

However I'd rather call it a control unit rather than a preamplifier and nish!I don't like a silver finish!

Cheers,

DV

Interesting piece of kit, Lewis, but, like Jez's offering below (a passive pre.), it doesn't have enough inputs for me.

Tried a passive pre. in the eighties, though my memory is vague on details (think I had Naim 32.5 (maybe 82) with 250 at the time). That it was totally insipid still stays with me; an utterly lacklustre sound. just one early example, I know, but I've never been interested in passives since

I was thinking of using my Benchmark DAC2 straight into my power amp, but I wonder if any experts can tell me about matching impedance? (I recall that people used to say that you shouldn't mix non-Naim pre's and Naim power amps for that reason) What numbers if any do I need to look for - should the output impedance of the pre-amp be very different from the input impedance of the power amp, and what happens if you get it wrong? Lucid technical explanations gratefully received.

I was thinking of using my Benchmark DAC2 straight into my power amp, but I wonder if any experts can tell me about matching impedance? (I recall that people used to say that you shouldn't mix non-Naim pre's and Naim power amps for that reason) What numbers if any do I need to look for - should the output impedance of the pre-amp be very different from the input impedance of the power amp, and what happens if you get it wrong? Lucid technical explanations gratefully received.

In unbalanced mode that I'd guess you are using the output impedance is 30 Ohm. That'll drive anything.

I plug both my DAC and phono stage straight into my power amps. Just remember to power up the DAC before the amp.

Cheers,

DV

In unbalanced mode that I'd guess you are using the output impedance is 30 Ohm. That'll drive anything.

I plug both my DAC and phono stage straight into my power amps. Just remember to power up the DAC before the amp.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks, yes I'd use the unbalanced mode. So it should work, just need to try it. I use the preamp as my MC stage, so I have to try two comparisons. 1. DAC2 into pre-amp vs DAC into power amp. 2. MC pre-amp into power amp vs MC pre-amp into DAC2 analogue stage into power amp. And of course in the latter case I could by-pass the pre-amp volume control and take a signal from the tape out. Hmm, looks like trying all that could easily pass a quiet weekend...

There's no need to match impedance. In 90% of cases it's a matter of any pre amp will work fine with any power amp and a passive can be placed between any source and any power amp.... The latter is sometimes limited by some power amps being too insensitive but this is rare.
Most of the other 10% of cases will be certain valve phono stages (and other valve sources) which need to see a high input impedance in the thing they are driving.

There's no need to match impedance. In 90% of cases it's a matter of any pre amp will work fine with any power amp and a passive can be placed between any source and any power amp.... The latter is sometimes limited by some power amps being too insensitive but this is rare.
Most of the other 10% of cases will be certain valve phono stages (and other valve sources) which need to see a high input impedance in the thing they are driving.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. On with the experimentation.

I used an Icon PS3 phono direct into a Naim 250 with great effect (like DV's Brinkman phono it has a volume control) taking the 52/Scap out as I was vinyl only. Only got rid because ultimately I found the valve sound, although beguilingly lucid, too smooth and went back to SS.

Naim were very unhelpful when I asked what the input sensitivity of the 250 was so I could check it would work

advertisement

Back