advertisement

Power cable recommendations....

MarkieW

pfm Member
Hi all,

Just thought I would ask your collective wisdom on great sounding power cables in the 300-600ish quid range. I have tried the Puritan Ultimate, Audioquest Blizzard and Thunder, Atlas EOS 4dd and even a homemade jobbie. Any recommendation for your favourite cable of your own?

Hehe, some expected replies there. If you listen to a mixture of cables side by side, you can hear the difference IMHO. Obviously depends on the rest of your equipment, listening environment and your ears which will all vary from mine!

Best to borrow and listen using your own equipment.

What I use would not fit your budget even at 2nd hand prices :)

Hi all,

Just thought I would ask your collective wisdom on great sounding power cables in the 300-600ish quid range. I have tried the Puritan Ultimate, Audioquest Blizzard and Thunder, Atlas EOS 4dd and even a homemade jobbie. Any recommendation for your favourite cable of your own?
Did you mean 3.00 to 6.00 quid? That would make sense.

Depends what you are running. I recently bought one of the cheaper Furutechs (Roxy) for my power amp and it has made a notable improvement to the sound.

It didn't work so well on the pre where I now have a Kimber High Power that works less well on the power but great on the pre. This replaced a Chord that is now on the CD player.

Hehe, some expected replies there. If you listen to a mixture of cables side by side, you can hear the difference IMHO. Obviously depends on the rest of your equipment, listening environment and your ears which will all vary from mine!
Oh well in that case, I have a 'friend' who makes the world's best cables. Really! Just stunning. Currently selling at the ridiculous price of £9000 a meter without plugs or fuses, but with those ears of yours, you really need them. PM me and I'll (sry) he'll CRAFT you a pair in his organic crystal lined workshop.
You know you have to do it.

Out of those 3, the Atlas is best IMHO
Agree , the Atlas is excellent. I was previously using a couple of them. Just don't listen to the Eos Superior ! But if you did listen to them it would give you an idea what they can do. May help you decide how you want to progress.

Such sarcasm above!!
Ha ha. So amusing, and every bit of sarcasm from those who have never done the comparisons.
Well speaking truthfully, and this from someone who doesn’t have golden, highly functioning ears, well one of them!
- A challenge for all the clever dissenters. Go and audition different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables before you come out with your derisory comments. Then come back, and give us your truthful impressions, not your disbelieving, without trying, impressions.
I don’t believe in God. Who in their right mind would, without the evidence, but I have the evidence of my own ears when auditioning different interconnects, speaker cables, and power cables, though I have found that the effect of power cables can be less noticeable with some components, than others, eg. not a massive improvement to my amplifier, but a significant cleaning up of the sound with my phonostage, for example.
I’ve recently upgraded my interconnects, because I could hear the increased levels of details, and therefore realism, and i’ve heard, not imagined, a similar levels of improvement with different, but unfortunately, more expensive speaker cables, such that there was no going back to the old ones.
Now go on amaze yourself.
Now bring on the vitriol. I can see you outside if you think you’re hard enough!

No, I think that they are both duff, one due to age and live concert damage, and the other due to my stapes bone being shattered when I sustained a head injury, falling over a precipice in the Lake District! (Not a very clever thing to do!) but I can still easily hear the differences that cables and interconnects make!

advertisement

Back