advertisement

post rock

Told you so!
Sadly I missed them this time around, something came up...
I did however see Alan Silva the last week though (with Roger Turner on drums) which was pretty cool.

Alan Silva sounds like a cool gig.

Bought a few Circle spin-off records at the gig, one album (Ukkossalama) by a side-project called Ektroverde, which is playing at the moment and is truly excellent, less heavy than Circle, more jazz rock than space rock, highly recommended.

I might have to move to Finland, they obviously know a thing or two about good music.

http://www.circlefinland.com/

-- Ian

Finland does indeed seem to churn out some great stuff lately. There's the Circle-scene – check out all these free, legal mp3s.
There's also an interesting psychedelic folk thing going on with bands like Kemialliset Ystävät, Kiila, Päivänsäde and The Anaksimandros. I need to investigate further myself.
They seem to be centered around Fonal Records.

Pity.

I thought I’d found a few fellow aficionados of this type of music.

It’s not very easy to get hold of. Not many artists experimented in this direction.

Anybody got a video of the scene where Colonel Dearing is dancing at the disco on Vegas in Space. Good price paid.

I did however see Alan Silva the last week though (with Roger Turner on drums) which was pretty cool.

Was'nt Silva connected with the free end of the jazz spectrum (now with jazz/space rock?).I have him playing along side Andrew Hill and Freddie Waits on Hill's 1980 trio album Strange Serenade on Soulnote. Side one challenges with dense interplay, side two relaxes with Waits swiching to brushes. Great jazz and wonderful studio recording by Giancarlo Barigozzi.

Originally posted by dave charlton
Was'nt Silva connected with the free end of the jazz spectrum

Certainly is. He's one of those players who seems to have played at some time with nearly everyone in free jazz since the 60s, as well as heading up his own groups like the Celestial Communication Orchestra.

-- Ian

Luna Surface by The Celestrial Communication Orchestra is certainly one of the more bonkers records I've got. It certainly has that 'Orchestra tuning their instruments' feel.
Alan has now swapped the double bass (or whatever other string instrument he could get his hand on) for the highly unfashionable synthesizer. It was great to see how he got into it, hands moving faster than the eye over the keyboard, big toothless grin, howling like the mentalist he undoubtedly is.
The gig also showed me why hardly anybody plays in Derby as about 25 people made the effort to see such a legend.

I just thought I'd mention the new Circle lp called Empire just out on Riot Season. It's a live job (well recorded though), two side long tracks – Dragon and Empire – 500 copies, vinyl only. A great record, which you know you need.

WOuld it be worth my while investing in some Circle? I don't seem to get on with Krautrock too well for some reason., but this seems interesting, and I *really* like unusual time signatures.

I bought it at the gig. :)

They've already got another album recorded for Faust's Klangbad label, not sure when it's due out, but it's the first album to be recorded in Faust's new Scheer recording studio.

Check out Pharoah Overlord, one of Circle's many spinoffs. Great, quite a bit heavier than Circle.

-- Ian

Originally posted by joel
WOuld it be worth my while investing in some Circle? I don't seem to get on with Krautrock too well for some reason., but this seems interesting, and I *really* like unusual time signatures.

Bugger, should have put some in the parcel now heading Japanwards.

-- Ian

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Bugger, should have put some in the parcel now heading Japanwards.
Nevermind, next time... It would be fun to get some on vinyl, but I suppose it's logical to test the water with a CD first.

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Check out Pharoah Overlord, one of Circle's many spinoffs. Great, quite a bit heavier than Circle.

-- Ian

I've already got PO's first cd, which is pretty good, though I think I prefer Circle as a whole. I will get some more of theirs some time though. Which have you got and which do you think are best?

Originally posted by space cadet
I've already got PO's first cd, which is pretty good, though I think I prefer Circle as a whole. I will get some more of theirs some time though. Which have you got and which do you think are best?

I've only got one, The Battle of the Axehammer, a live album. Definitely biker music, for bikers with taste.

-- Ian (not a biker)

Oh, and have I mentioned S/T yet? If not, I'm a twit, they're one of my favourite of the current wave of krautrock groups. Most of their music gets released on limited edition CDs with beautiful handmade artwork. They're a seriously good classically krautrock group, with a great sense of humour too:

http://www.get-happy-records.com/ST.htm

-- Ian

advertisement

Back