advertisement

post rock

In a rare example of impeccable taste, Death in Vegas have produced a pretty good Kraut-inspired new album, Satan's Circus.

None of their previous stuff has interested me but this is miles away from anything else they appear to have done. Difficult to say if this is a "new direction" or just a novelty but pretty good all the same and the live album that's thrown in with the CD is surprisingly lsitenable as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Fascinating thread, I missed it until it got puled to the top again. Could someone put a definitive list of post-anti-rock or whatever the correct definition is together so I don't buy any mistake. If it's anything like bloody Kraftwerk it will save me walking back for the refund.

Seriously though, good music shows itself up in all genres doesn't it? It matters not whether its the innovators or technicians, popular or underground, widdly-widdly or illiterate strumming, guitars or erm, a pile of junk. Only that it makes the emotional connection with us. Musicianship and many other factors are a bonus.

I don't think Paco de Lucia deserves to be be brought down to this level by the way. His playing of classics is just a masterclass to beginners like me. His later years simply on a level I m yet to relate to other than brilliant musicianship. I gave a rather innovative CD of his to my guitar teacher saying that the day I understand it I am ready to listen to it again.

Since when has musicianship got in the way of good music by the way? Clapton is not exactly a great guitarist (cue the baloney about timing and minimalism) but some of his music is damned good and that's all that matters. Conversely, Hendrix is revered as a God and must have been a hugely innovative breakthrough when he arrived. New sound, sure, but the mistakes in his playing...

Paul

Paul

Two more recommendations:

Skipafone "El Hombre Trajaedo" -- This was my first intro to post-rock (courtesy of Jawed who some of you may know/remember) and it remains one of my favourites. Up there with Dianogah's "Battle Champions".

Battles"B EP" -- Which is firmly at the "math rock" end of the genre and not a million miles away from Dionogah (but with added weirdness) I am fairly confident Tony will like this a lot.

Some MP3s available here although they are just the first minute of each track which doesn't really give them change to get going.

Review on today's Pitchfork here

(Note that I found this quite hard to get hold of and had to order it from in-sound and it tooke about a month to arrive -- if you have problems tacking it down try here.)

Matthew

I just thought I'd mention the new Circle lp called Empire just out on Riot Season. It's a live job (well recorded though), two side long tracks – Dragon and Empire – 500 copies, vinyl only. A great record, which you know you need.

I failed completely to get a copy of that. They had sold out at Norman Records, but he kindly made sure I got a copy of the next absurdly limited Finnish 2xLP ‘Golem / Vesiliirto’… it turned up today. Very different to the amazing Prospekt, far more ‘ambient space noodling’ than the banging post-Düül II full tilt psyche space rock I was expecting. The first two sides are live, the second two studio, and all sounds like quite meandering drone stuff on first listen. If anything it probably has more connection to Acid Mothers Temple. Nowt wrong with that.

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
I failed completely to get a copy of that. They had sold out at Norman Records

I hope they're getting more back in stock, because I have an order in with them for Joel...

-- Ian

Just heard from Norman, nope, it's out of print already but they forgot to tell me.

Sorry Joel, I tried. I did manage to get you a copy of the Prospekt album on CD, but the vinyl of that is out of print too.

-- Ian

Originally posted by Paul L
Hendrix is revered as a God and must have been a hugely innovative breakthrough when he arrived. New sound, sure, but the mistakes in his playing...
Cough...splutter..choke.... Mistakes you say? What and where exactly do you think he made mistakes?

Originally posted by sideshowbob

Sorry Joel, I tried. I did manage to get you a copy of the Prospekt album on CD, but the vinyl of that is out of print too.
No probs Ian, thanks for trying and thanks for the CD. I'm interested in hearing what you're all going on about, and am not too fussed about the format TBH.

Scrub that, I've just ordered you a copy from Reveal. Thanks space cadet!

I've got a few Circle spin-off things, at least one of which (Ektroverde) I'm pretty sure you'll like, so I'll chuck in a few other bits too.

-- Ian

I think Peter Fonda had a hand in the invention of post rock.

For the soundtrack of his 1971 western The Hired Hand he hired wizz session guitarist Bruce Langhorne, who came up with a load of snail paced cyclicical guitar picking, droning violin and pinging chimes that sounds remarkably prescient.

He thought the film projector was too noisy, so he recorded the projection on the big screen with a little black and white camera and improvised over that at home.

Thanks Ian and thank you Space Cadet. I'm looking forward to hearing the album.

The drummer for Mogwai is an effing genius. Maybe not the greatest chops in the biz, but he knows when to do what.

Just thought it needed to be said.

Sorry to drag this old thread back to life, but I thought there was some good ideas amongst the argumentative off-topic stuff (which droned on far too long - I wish I could edit 75% out, to keep the good post-rock stuff ;-). space cadet even had the cheek to throw on thirty or so bands names to juggle with then f**ked off to bed without even giving us a taster of where they were at. That list will keep me going for a while (reply #46).

Tony, Eric, and Erik (amongst others) have sparked my interest here. Being a fan of Mogwai and having recently purchased the gybe catalogue, I realise there is a hell of a lot of stuff I have never heard before, waiting to be unearthed.

I think my original reason was to look up anything on Slint. Following a nod on another thread I bought and have just finished playing Spiderland, which is excellent. Very much stripped back and raw when I compare it to Mogwai. Top stuff!

Yep, only 2 LPs. They also made a fantastic 2 track self-titled EP, which is possibly the best thing they ever released. But that is all there is, Slint-wise, apart from live bootlegs.

-- Ian

Oh-oh! Double recommendation time. I will, I will.

I have also just received The For Carnation - S/T, which is currently in the stacking system awaiting landing clearance. I badly need to start pruning my collection of the unlistened-to to make room for all this stuff I keep buying.

I'm resisting temptation to reel off more before bed...

The last track of the The For Carnation cd is really nice btw.

DUH DUH duhduhduhduhduhduh DUH DUH duhduhduhduhduhduh DUH DUH duhduhduhduh! (The great great Slint track off the ep sung in the style of Beavis and Butthead)

advertisement

Back