advertisement

post rock

sideshowbob said:
Rod, get Tweez too. It's different to Spiderland. Even better, I reckon.

-- Ian

in my experience thats quite a minority opinion mind you :)

I recently bought spiderland and tweez thanks to Ian. I love spiderland, but IMO Tweez is pretty bad.

That's pfm for you...

Nah! Don't worry, I'll get it anyway. If it's no good, I can always punt it on. Somehow I can't see that happening.

I fired the The For Carnation cd in the car this morning. I'm only a couple of tracks in (15 min drive to work :), but liking it a lot. The bass sure comes through, I guess whoever mixed the album was a basshead. Another result.

Just played Bedhead's first album - WhatFunLifeWas - It's good, I like it...

...but not as much as Labradford - Labradford. A truely excellent album! From "Phantom Channel Crossing"'s clanking chains and gas cylinders rolling around on concrete, through "The Cipher"'s eerie soundscape, and "Lake Speed"'s hauntingly surreal beauty. What's not to like? (if you like this kinda thing...)

Looking forward to picking up more of their back catalogue. There's some good music on that Kranky label! In fact, I have a copy on Pan American's "360 Business/360 Bypass" album on order, so looking forward to that as well. Mark Nelson kept himself busy between the two projects. What's he up to at the moment?

to pick up on the 'what if' french boy band thread, don't forget Noir Desire - sort of u2 meets french boyzone's parents except one's inside for killing his girlfriend.

Just been playing Tweez. Good album, definitely different to Spiderland, but well worth getting. Interesting to see that they used that big name engineer - "some ****in derd neffer"...

Lurk a bit and enjoyed some of the thread. Didn't see any reference to this one

Mono - Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined

Steve Albini as always it seems

Extract from AMG cos I'm lazy

Tokyo's Mono have matured in a most compelling way. They began shamelessly wearing their influences on their collective sleeve, pushing a heavy brand of distorted guitar scree into the stratosphere of sheer punishing noise. On Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined, the band's third full-length on the brilliant Temporary Residence Limited label, they've transformed themselves into something utterly new.

Some Mogwai and Sigur Ros () for reference

Chris

Excellent stuff Chris, another added to the wants list then. Beautiful!

Mono website Touring Japan in March for those of you lucky enough to be out there...

The collaboration album with world's end girlfriend, has just the kind of string music I would like to get a listen to. As I cannot "get into" classical music (i.e. orchestral), I would love some recommendations taking the above album's strings as a cue.

advertisement

Back