advertisement

Politics and hi-fi

With hindsight, the whole hifi 'thing', with its upgrade ladders, interminable tweaking and audiophilia nervosa was a bit bonkers anyway. 'It's all about the music', we'd claim, as we cluttered up our living spaces with ever-increasing boxes and wires.

... the whole hifi 'thing', with its upgrade ladders, interminable tweaking and audiophilia nervosa 'It's all about the music', we'd claim, as we cluttered up our living spaces with ever-increasing boxes and wires.

That sums up everything I love about it!

With hindsight, the whole hifi 'thing', with its upgrade ladders, interminable tweaking and audiophilia nervosa was a bit bonkers anyway. 'It's all about the music', we'd claim, as we cluttered up our living spaces with ever-increasing boxes and wires.

006_zpscs11xils.jpg

An thats just the half of it. A phone and a one box solution? These kids dont know what they are missing!

Ive been served with a divorce petition. The mad prof :D

I think its all been covered very well on this thread. The times they are a changing

I would say that very few can afford to live (around here in the SE of England) in a home large enough and detached enough to truly consider enjoying a big pair of loudspeakers playing their favourite music at levels that make the expense worthwhile Tony.

This is a very good point. The age at which a person / couple can get their own house is becoming significantly older. I'm 28 and I know 3 other couples between 26 and 33 years. They all live in flats where a room filling music system would probably cause issues with neighbours. Every one of them works a full time job so wouldn't have much time for a non-portable system. Only the oldest couple own their flat (have a mortgage). Getting one's own home is a serious issue for todays youth and it has nothing to do with needing to work harder!

Edit: Actually there is one exception; my brother and his wife just bought their first house. They are both early 30's, but both are very highly educated / qualified and earn well above average wage.

Minstrel, there's both purple and pink accents going on in that photo there. I think that has WAF covered. As far as I can see, no problem at all.

I can remember the day I said to a hi fi salesman as a young person ..... "You know...people might find me strange...but I personally think , a really good Hi Fi system is more sexy than anyone seeking to have a wife". I never changed from that opinion. Today I have three full sized Hi Fi systems in my main listening room. besides (plus) having a stack of new boxes of very respectable full size high current Hi Fi amps / speakers/ tuners/ CD players -some still in boxes (plus more arriving) waiting to be to assembled and somehow integrated and accommodated around the house.

True Hi Fi enthusiasts today- are being lead into doubt about their interest, by forever seeing -quickly changing "compressed miniaturization gadgets or all-in one type convenience fads", that play 'noise' . Totally incapable of reproducing - the real depth / scale /size and dynamics of musical performances - as recorded. That is, to feel the visceral physical slam that musical crescendos produce in big orchestral and epic works - if the written Music Score itself , demands it . Where days later, if one has such an experience , it stills musically burns in one's brain as an 'private special event', one had.
I fear, we are seeing a generation of 'computerized sensory zombies' being developed. Just take a look anytime on some public commuter vehicle and notice the large percentage of passengers...not sitting in what should be / and once was 'relax - free time looking about at the pasting surroundings and privately thinking......instead , feverishly flicking through their phones and computer gadgets
Catering to this market, we then have manufacturers creating hideous "Bozo" matchboxes on ridiculous towering stilts/ or mistaken mod - mind boggling 'new wave patio- styled "Bo & Bo gram" speakers' so revolting in looks..one immediately would want to drop-kick them into the nearest pool as floatable dummies / 'sound- bars' and the like ....many trying to defy the Laws of Physics regarding Sound, in homes with doll -house dimensions. Countering this fact - perhaps by also - desperately - wiring up the various rooms with devices that offer non - descript 'server -programmed musick' as if homes are but like .... joined sections of connecting elevator cubicles .

006_zpscs11xils.jpg

An thats just the half of it. A phone and a one box solution? These kids dont know what they are missing!

Ive been served with a divorce petition. The mad prof :D

I think its all been covered very well on this thread. The times they are a changing
The heartening sight of a serious - in - earnest "means business" form of spaghetti ....that can only thrill any true hi fi enthusiast.

If truth be told - Hi Fi was and still is usually seen as "secret men's' business".
How many women have any of us experienced, that went about -raving about the sound equipment they own? Instead, we have heard all the "to please the wife" accommodation stories -to keep the peace in married households. Persuading.... 'wives, that vases with flowers and water do not go on top of speakers' / that NO!....those speakers will NOT perform as well in that so called -more convenient living room spot, she picked out'...etc etc.

Minstrel, there's both purple and pink accents going on in that photo there. I think that has WAF covered. As far as I can see, no problem at all.

Yep its a rainbow of fun :) Its the sort of pottering about I enjoy at the moment. The racks have rear access :) Im usually quite good but it needs a dusting at the back there.

Im not really bothered about minimalism. I thin it down when Im good and ready.

Lemme see now, politics and hifi; not a lot about the politics so far, so my take is:

Hifi with blue lights = Conservative

Hifi with red lights = Labour

Hifi with green lights = obvious, and

Hifi with other/mixed colours = Lib. Dem., not really gelling with anything.

Never thought of myself as Lib Dem, but there y'go.....:)

If truth be told - Hi Fi was and still is usually seen as "secret men's' business".
How many women have any of us experienced, that went about -raving about the sound equipment they own? Instead, we have heard all the "to please the wife" accommodation stories -to keep the peace in married households. Persuading.... 'wives, that vases with flowers and water do not go on top of speakers' / that NO!....those speakers will NOT perform as well in that so called -more convenient living room spot, she picked out'...etc etc.

The role of women in hifi is two-fold:

a) to be draped over equipment (steady now!) in hifi advertisements

b) to 'not normally notice these things' but to nevertheless be amazed at the improvement wrought by the latest wire/stand/component change

Lemme see now, politics and hifi; not a lot about the politics so far, so my take is:

Hifi with blue lights = Conservative

Hifi with red lights = Labour

Hifi with green lights = obvious, and

Hifi with other/mixed colours = Lib. Dem., not really gelling with anything.

Never thought of myself as Lib Dem, but there y'go.....:)

I'm basically all Labour upstairs and mostly Tory downstairs, though with a bit of LibDem and Green.

advertisement

Back