advertisement

Politics and hi-fi

quote from tony l
I suspect much of the issue is actually that far fewer people these days get to experience genuinely full-range sound in the home as even if one visits a fancy dealer chances are you are only going to get to listen to some rather bright and thin sounding stand-mounts, certainly nothing that packs anything like the slam of those old 66s, and it was the weight, scale and power that initially hooked me. If I hadn't heard what was possible at such a young age I may well not have been so obsessed in getting a good stereo myself.

it was listening to ditton 66's that got me hooked also, so many people don't seem to want full range speakers

A lot of the problem is todays houses and flats where soundproofing is pants . When living in a detached house I had medium size floorstanders , on moving to a more expensive area I now have a modern terrace house and have to use small standmounts as anything else can be heard 2-3 doors down . This is far from ideal but the only choice and this is why so many people are stuck with small speakers/small system and a generation will be missing out on hi fi sound

I think a generation are getting to experience far better 'hi-fi' sound than ever before. Growing up with crappy cassettes and 'music centers' wasn't that great. I would have given my right arm for an iphone and a pair of buds, or an Apple TV back then. Heard what some of the games consoles are capable of?

Have a look at some of the beautiful headphone dac/amp combinations out there. All that is happening is that a new generation is finding new and better solutions which suit their lifestyles and aspirations. They just aren't the hi-fi down the dealer lot from 1973, that's all.

They don't see audio and visual as separate entities.

They are also dead right.

Back in the day hi fi was more like having the latest tech and new products eagerly awaited . The buzz now is about the latest tv or phone so proper hi fi will continue to decline

Back in the day hi fi was more like having the latest tech and new products eagerly awaited . The buzz now is about the latest tv or phone so proper hi fi will continue to decline

Just like vinyl (I suppose) was claimed to be 'old hat', obsolete .... and expected to fade away into absolute oblivion.

The latest 'phone and other allied computer tech connected wonders' we see released every year, remind me of the ensuing 'junk status' that befell yesterday's s, computer floppy discs / 1980's smelly dirty fire prone vertical food grillers in the kitchen /or what awaits today's present 'fashionable yuppie ' coffee capsule machines which are nothing more that machine-processors of capsules of the ( circa. around WW2) nasty coffee/chicory concoctions that masqueraded as "coffee" ....that used to come in bottles as sweetened or unsweetened. :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back