advertisement

Politics and hi-fi

Perhaps worth bearing in mind the trend amongst the young for actually going to gigs and festivals.
That's because their knees are younger! My wife and I went to see Fink last week, and we are still recovering! Glastonbury (for one example) is out of the question. We are 66 and 69; hitch-hiked to the first Isle of Wight. :cool:

There were around 12 hifi shops in Glasgow that is now down to three or four not many for a large City. Disposable income is in part to blame very few salaries have risen for a long time. Even notice pink-fish classifieds does not shift as much equipment as it used to. The offshore industry is laying off thousands of its work force which was a good source of so called middle income. Technology also plays a part ( mobile phones , iPads and the like also play their part.

If truth be told - Hi Fi was and still is usually seen as "secret men's' business".
How many women have any of us experienced, that went about -raving about the sound equipment they own? Instead, we have heard all the "to please the wife" accommodation stories -to keep the peace in married households. Persuading.... 'wives, that vases with flowers and water do not go on top of speakers' / that NO!....those speakers will NOT perform as well in that so called -more convenient living room spot, she picked out'...etc etc.

This is a good point.
I had always suspected that hifi was more for equipment freaks than music lovers but if what you write is true this must be the case - unless no women love music...

If truth be told - Hi Fi was and still is usually seen as "secret men's' business".
How many women have any of us experienced, that went about -raving about the sound equipment they own? Instead, we have heard all the "to please the wife" accommodation stories -to keep the peace in married households. Persuading.... 'wives, that vases with flowers and water do not go on top of speakers' / that NO!....those speakers will NOT perform as well in that so called -more convenient living room spot, she picked out'...etc etc.

You lot must date/marry some bloody odd women! Nearly every girl I've been out with has owned some kind of proper audio system and had a good record or CD collection. I've always met people because of a shared interest in music, at gigs, in record shops etc. I can't understand those who seek vacuous empty houses with no things, no records, no books, no personality, no interests, just ugly artless bare walls and a couple of pictures of their ugly children etc. By comparison my house is bloody amazing; it's a reflection of what interests me, what I've done, where I've been etc - it contains a life. My girlfriend's houses have been the same, and most had a decent system of say the Rega 2, Nad, Royd A7 level if not better. Some damn good records too and a fair few had guitars, basses, keyboards etc (and could play them a damn sight better than me). Life is too short for bland empty people in bland empty homes!

Women don't usually have time to sit down and listen to music, let alone fiddle with wires.

Life is too short for bland empty people in bland empty homes!

I might be a bland empty person, but my house is far from empty. It is an OCD person's nightmare. God knows what I'll do if/when we have to downsize to a smaller house or a flat.

I might be a bland empty person, but my house is far from empty. It is an OCD person's nightmare. God knows what I'll do if/when we have to downsize to a smaller house or a flat.

I lived in flats/apartments from the age of 18 right up until about 12 years ago when I moved to my current three bed two living room house. I've filled it to the point I'm actually a bit concerned about the back bedroom coming down due to the amount of vinyl stored up there! The point to which a house can fill itself is simply astonishing. I've filled the cellar with cardboard boxes too. Quite the collection.

Capitalism entered a period of global economic boom after WW2 and this lasted, give or take the odd blip, until the late 70s.

No coincidence that the audio industry enjoyed huge growth during this period because the disposable income of 'the ordinary working man' was growing consistently.
Prospects for decent long term jobs and careers were good, and the upper elites could afford to throw some rather large crumbs to the masses, because it suited and their labour power was essential for growth.

That's been over for many years and will not return - ever.
The course ahead for the world global economy is one of general decline, with wealth passing increasingly to the powerful few, punctuated by the odd very mild and largely ineffectual upswing (such as currently seen in the UK).

Eventually enough people will feel the pain of falling living standards to produce a groundswell of forces able to effect massive change. Until then, it's going to be grim.

I lived in flats/apartments from the age of 18 right up until about 12 years ago when I moved to my current three bed two living room house. I've filled it to the point I'm actually a bit concerned about the back bedroom coming down due to the amount of vinyl stored up there! The point to which a house can fill itself is simply astonishing. I've filled the cellar with cardboard boxes too. Quite the collection.

In my defence, it's not just my stuff cluttering the place up. Mrs H's office is based in the house, and some of that has overflown from her office room to the top room. We don't have a cellar, but the loft is choc-a-bloc. The Christmas decorations and Christmas tree stand are just inside the loft door, which is just as well, because I'd never find them otherwise. There's an entire shelving system in there, along with many children' toys and books, a set of speaker stands and goodness knows what else. Cardboard boxes, of which we too have a fine collection, reside in the cupboard under the stairs. Behind those, way at the back in the corner, are a set of Kan speaker stands.

Eventually enough people will feel the pain of falling living standards to produce a groundswell of forces able to effect massive change. Until then, it's going to be grim.

Be pretty grim after it, if most revolutions are anything to go by.

I'd take crap capitalism over revolution any day, at least I can largely ignore the former and just get on with spinning Miles Davis etc!

Eventually enough people will feel the pain of falling living standards to produce a groundswell of forces able to effect massive change.

Stay away from the bookies, Marxists have been p*ss poor at predictions for the past 100+ years.

I'd take crap capitalism over revolution any day, at least I can largely ignore the former and just get on with spinning Miles Davis etc!

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're all doing what we can
But if you want money
For people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

The Beatles (in case you weren't sure).

Stay away from the bookies, Marxists have been p*ss poor at predictions for the past 100+ years.

On the...specifics, let's say...maybe...but Marx did clock the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, which is basically what we're (not) talking about.

On the...specifics, let's say...maybe...but Marx did clock the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, which is basically what we're (not) talking about.

Not talking about dear old Marx, but his followers.

advertisement

Back