advertisement

pmc speaker

Only heard them at shows but maybe four occasions all in obvs different rooms and was not bowled over....

Something just "wrong" about the sound of 'em. hard to describe but I'll have a go.. it may get a bit "6 moons":rolleyes:

Very "controlled" in such a way that the control is a colouration... (told you it may get a bit 6 moons subjectivist here). "Controlled" in a way that becomes a bit of a house sound... all the ones I've heard had very similar-ish sound but bigger ones had more bass if you like.

Rather "it's all there but sounds artificial", lacking transparency ultimately, lacking timbral accuracy and range, I wouldn't expect the sound of the harmonic content of a violin or cello to seamlessly integrate with the main sound if you see what I mean...

odd but, "sounds like made to play electronic type music with great control and lack of harshness even at high volume", again, if you see what I mean....

I have a pair of the original FB1's and I still love that full-scale sound you get with them. I think they are still capable of being upgraded to FB1+ spec (new tweeters and crossovers) but the £400+ price tag puts me off doing so.

I've used them very successfully with an all-Naim system and now with my Rega system (though I'm itching to try some Rega RS3's...).

RS3’s were nice musical speakers on the end of my then, Brio R, and Linn front end, but the RX3’s were a step up again, and I’m now using PMC twenty5.23i’s which to my ears, are the best speakers i’ve heard in my difficult room. Their bass is well controlled but gets well down, and they excel at vocal projection and high frequency detail without being too hard or forward. They also play well at lower volumes. They’re foot tapping fast, and rhythmic, and so tick all my boxes. Planning to keep them until the twenty year guarantee expires, by which time i’m also likely to have expired!

Fact 12's here and sound fabulous on the end of a naim 500dr/552dr with 2 top end sources.
Great details and a nice solid bass, tried quite a few speakers at the time and the fact's just worked straight away out the box in a slightly difficult room position.
Love the transmission bass and the smaller cabinet you can get with this, but without losing anything.

Ignore other people's opinions. Go to a couple of dealers, listen to what they have on offer and choose what sounds best to you (not what sounds good to the dealer, to the famous reviewer or to anyone else).

One would hope the OP made a decision in ten years. I love post resurrections!

I was very impressed with the FB1’s I heard, driven by Avondale M130’s.

Fact 12's here and sound fabulous on the end of a naim 500dr/552dr with 2 top end sources.
Great details and a nice solid bass, tried quite a few speakers at the time and the fact's just worked straight away out the box in a slightly difficult room position.
Love the transmission bass and the smaller cabinet you can get with this, but without losing anything.
Many speakers will sound great with such amplifier !
I heard some Proac Response D2 driven by this amp in a hotel room at a hi-fi show and it was jaw dropping. People were looking for the subwoofer but there wasn’t any !

The price rises of the past few years is one reason why pink fishers aren't so interested; the 23i, a modest-looking floorstander, is nearly £4000 which is a lot.
There's also the fact that some fishers are interested in hifi products which don't actually exist....

advertisement

Back