advertisement

pmc speaker

in an audio magazine I have read that the OB1i with complex music, get problems with the representation and resolution.
I imagine that this kind of mid-range driver is not so easy to master. ATC used decades, in order to come to the current quality. My guess is that PMC is not yet on a level with ATC.
Is that just scribbling, or there is some truth?
While the mid dome used in the OB1i looks similar to the ATC one, the PMC version is inferior, I believe. There are two versions PMC make, a cheaper, simpler one and a better one that is used from the IB1i upwards IIRC. The latter is fine.

Personally, I didn't get on with the OB1 (note: non-i). Don't know the current version.

What's wrong with your existing speakers?

That PMC mid dome is inferior ATC's model, I believe, too.

After 14 years my Lua 5/3 get problems regarding representation and resolution, with complex music.
Over the years I think the tweeter coating vanishes.
I also missing some bass.

Which ones did you listen to and did you like them? I personally really like PMC speakers for their accuracy. A lot of recording studios, mastering houses, film studios use PMC speakers so I don't believe they have an issue competing with ATC. FWIW I have the PB1i model that I believe has the same midrange driver as the OB1i and don't find any problem with resolution. I'm sure the PMC midrange driver they use in the IB1i and up the range sounds better (only had a very brief listen to this driver in the IB1i and MB2i stack) and can handle more power but I can't really fault the PB1i. The main problem for me with the much bigger speakers is that they are not very living room friendly from an aesthetic point of view. The PB1i has a massive sound that doesn't boom and is very accurate and they only look slightly bigger than the FB1+ they replaced. I also use the active TB2s model in my studio for monitoring.

Ive owned PMC IB1's and DB1i's.
The IB1's have serious bass and spl output, but are let down by the cheap mid unit. The IB2 and up have a much better mid, but ive heard its not as good as the ATC unit. I'd like to compare them someday.

I think the IB1, and any of the 3 ways below the IB2 use a Vifa mid dome like this
vifa-d75mx-41-08-698-p.jpg

The IB2 and upward use a Volt/PMC mid like this
volt-vm752-midrange-unit-499-p.jpg

Ive owned PMC IB1's and DB1i's.
The IB1's have serious bass and spl output, but are let down by the cheap mid unit. The IB2 and up have a much better mid, but ive heard its not as good as the ATC unit. I'd like to compare them someday.

I think the IB1, and any of the 3 ways below the IB2 use a Vifa mid dome like this
vifa-d75mx-41-08-698-p.jpg

The IB2 and upward use a Volt/PMC mid like this
volt-vm752-midrange-unit-499-p.jpg

my mb2s have the volt and the mid is excellent in my humble opinion

Ive heard the BB5-XBD actives at a show before. They were seriously impressive.

My last 3 pairs of speakers have been ATC, so i might be biased ;)

Cheers
Matt

A lot of this I think will be down to the crossover design, which PMC seem to have had change of direction, as heard on the Fact series and the new twenty series, which have to me have a more open and clearer mid. Not such a fan of the older models.

I have a pair of Fact 8's. I shortlisted Spendor St's and Monitor Audio Platinum's and the Fact 8s ticked most boxes. The spenders were great if a litre dark an uninvolving and I couldn't live with the look of the monitors in my room... I like having the option of tweaking the frequency responses with the toggle switches own the crossovers too. Should future proof them if I ever change rooms...

The fact's are a little on the lean side so perhaps no the best for rock but they do imaging really well if you're into classical...

I have DB1+ and to my lugs they're the best speaker I've owned, in my room, for my lugs, with my electronics. (I've had Minstrels, Credos, RR1s, ...). Probably the closest for "can't-turn-them-off-factor" were the Minstrels, but there's something about how honest and communicative the PMCs are. Love em!

I've owned a lot of PMC's over the years. I think the DB1i is the first small speaker I liked as much as an LS3/5a. (The Harbeth P3ESR is now the 2nd speaker in that category).

The TB2i's are a bargain. I love my FB1i Signatures. PMC offers sound quality similar to a Harbeth or Spendor Monitor series only with better imaging, tighter bass response and are much more room friendly.

The TB2i, for example is a grand cheaper than the Harbeth Compact 7 yet is only 7.75" wide, images like a mini-monitor, is 90db efficient and fits into small and medium rooms VERY easily. Like I said, a bargain.

I've owned the LB1 Signatures for about 3 years, listened to my mate's EB1i several times and IB1 at the dealers. The new Tb2i and FB1i Signatures may be different and an improved version of the older PMC models that I have owned. In my experience I find the older PMC models to lack clarity and detail at the top frequency spectrum. Overall not a very open sounding speaker. Another LB1 Signature owner whom I was in contact with concurred with this. He upgraded to the Fact 8 whilst I upgraded to the Harbeth SHL5s.

I find the Harbeth to be more open and revealing than the (older) PMC speakers while the former LB1 Signature owner finds the Fact 8 to be a substantial improvement over the LB1s in areas of transparency and openness. He did not audition the Twenty series, FB1i Signatures or TB2i Signatures so I am not sure if these are more open than the older PMC models that are slightly shut-in in nature.

I used to use LB1's for a while and they were one of the best speakers that I have ever heard and owned. I then moved house and they just boomed in the new home. In the right room the LB1's are a hard act to beat IMHO.

Have you listened to the latest range of PMC speakers? I am a former owner of the LB1 Signature. Another LB1 Signature user concurred with my thoughts on the LB1 Sigs. We felt that the LB1 Sigs were lacking in clarity, detail and openness and sounded slightly shut-in in the mids. I've used couple of amps on the LB1s which include Plinius, ARC and Krell and the character of the speaker remains fairly similar with these amps. The other guy was using a Bryston 4B-SST on the LB1 Sigs.

The Fact 8 was reported as a significant improvement over the LB1 Signatures in areas of transparency, openness, refinement and detail.

I haven't heard the LB1 but I know the AB2 which looks like a slightly bigger version. I think I know what you are talking about and actually I'd put the lack of transparency (perhaps immediacy?) down to the upper range of the woofer. They are a 2-way design and the woofer, while good in the lower range does have a bit of added 3rd harmonic in the upper range before it hits a resonance; a bit close to where the tweeter takes over.

PMC speakers have improved since these designs, not only with new tweeters but also different woofers which are doped paper I think.

I still don't agree with the bum and tits voicing of domestic PMC speakers but the quality can not be argued. If you want a flatter frequency response then look at the professional range. I still lust after my old AML1, I hope to hear them again.

Re: the comments about the OB1 mid - it sounds great to me and is really what swung me from the new 24's which I don't think hold a candle to the OB1i's - esp. when the price difference can be reduced...

Go for the professional range they are ugly but sound far superior. They need to be tri-amped if they are run passively otherwise you only get 75% of the ultimate quality. Personally I prefer the PMC mid to ATC. Try to get a second hand IB1 and run with a bryston 4b sst2 and add a 4 way bryston later.

I have been to the Munich HiEnd last Saturday, and discovered the PMC which for me were just a known name.
I auditioned the first three of the new Twenty series, and must say I was rather impressed. They played in a largish room with all Bryston electronics, and the sound, even from the small 21, was huge detailed and controlled.
Yet, when I posted here my mention of the PMC got lukewarm responses, some said they are overrated.
I would be interested in them, too, for my two-piece and half Naim system. I plan a serious demo in the next week. I might post my impressions.

I know, I know… this is a jolly old thread but I don’t see why I need to start a new one…

Anyhoo, after owning a pair of FB1 i’s for many years, I have ONLY JUST noticed that the dispersion fluting on the seas tweeter is actually made of ‘i’s
How cute is that detail!

If you have i series pmc’s have a look…

:)

in an audio magazine I have read that the OB1i with complex music, get problems with the representation and resolution.
I imagine that this kind of mid-range driver is not so easy to master. ATC used decades, in order to come to the current quality. My guess is that PMC is not yet on a level with ATC.
Is that just scribbling, or there is some truth?

Ignore other people's opinions. Go to a couple of dealers, listen to what they have on offer and choose what sounds best to you (not what sounds good to the dealer, to the famous reviewer or to anyone else).

I had a pair of FB1+ at the same time as I had Martin Logan clarities. These probably go for about the same price 2nd hand. The FB1’s had better deep bass but compared to the clarities they sounded enclosed and small and did not have the singer in the room sound like the clarities. The clarities were just head and shoulders above in how they portrayed the music. It was like lifting a vail.

That is the only time I have had a pair of speakers together to compare.

advertisement

Back