advertisement

pmc speaker

I believe several people here use them, myself included, and many speak well of them..... What is your question or interest ?

What is your question or interest ?

I upgrade my exposure XV to XVII+XVIII-s ;-)
I own a Lua 5/3 (well known in germany) loudspeaker. but i am looking for a new loudspeaker.

Today I visited a hifi-dealer. there i heard a pmc. so I was surfing in the net to get some infos about pmc.

speakers witch were named (in combination with naim, exposure) at pfm are: kef, atc, spendor, proac, neat, epos.
I visited there website. but I didn't find what I am looking for: 3-way floorstander with min. 20cm bass for less than 2500.- EUR ;-)

What size is the room ?
Wouldn't worry if it's two or three way or size of bass driver..... Being transmission line they don't have problems generating enough bass.
Look at the new Twenty series...

And what do they offer (or not) to make them not worth the price (whatever 'worth' may mean in this context) ?

I use PMC GB1i with Naim amps, very pleased with them.

I auditioned quite a few speakers expecting to prefer another make but PMC came out on top.

Ob1 & Eb1 are superb but expensive ugly and big.

The new 24 is very good, have heard it on the end of Naim 252/Supercap/300, nice.

I have a pair of the original FB1's and I still love that full-scale sound you get with them. I think they are still capable of being upgraded to FB1+ spec (new tweeters and crossovers) but the £400+ price tag puts me off doing so.

I've used them very successfully with an all-Naim system and now with my Rega system (though I'm itching to try some Rega RS3's...).

I've owned a lot of PMC's over the years. I think the DB1i is the first small speaker I liked as much as an LS3/5a. (The Harbeth P3ESR is now the 2nd speaker in that category).

The TB2i's are a bargain. I love my FB1i Signatures. PMC offers sound quality similar to a Harbeth or Spendor Monitor series only with better imaging, tighter bass response and are much more room friendly.

The TB2i, for example is a grand cheaper than the Harbeth Compact 7 yet is only 7.75" wide, images like a mini-monitor, is 90db efficient and fits into small and medium rooms VERY easily. Like I said, a bargain.

PMC make great speakers, and I see no reason they wouldn't work with any appropriately powered amp.

I have the TB1's and run them with a naim nap 180 and a nac 32.5 with Avondale 821a line stages. Lots of deep controlled bass with detailed and punchy mids. Amazing for their size.

in an audio magazine I have read that the OB1i with complex music, get problems with the representation and resolution.
I imagine that this kind of mid-range driver is not so easy to master. ATC used decades, in order to come to the current quality. My guess is that PMC is not yet on a level with ATC.
Is that just scribbling, or there is some truth?

I used to use LB1's for a while and they were one of the best speakers that I have ever heard and owned. I then moved house and they just boomed in the new home. In the right room the LB1's are a hard act to beat IMHO.

advertisement

Back