advertisement

Phono stage recommendation

A Valab LCR works well for me in my system.
I think new price is within your budget although it would have to be imported and attracts payable duty.
Occasionally they come up for sale s/h.

The RSL stage is superb, and at the price (though you do have to factor in Customs duty) an absolute steal. It operates wholly in "Dr T" mode, but in a very flexible way through the use of internal jumpers. In practice it has huge gain where needed and is very low noise. it also has a "proper" external PSU, rather than a wallwart.

I've owned a P75 (Mk1), A Clearaudio Balance (on the whole I think their stages tend to be overlooked), and have had an Aria on extended home dem.

The RSL beats them all; and I came to it from a £3k VIDA.

Recently heard the Big Bottle Mk III, to my ears something rather special.

So I've been told recently by a friend that bought one, apparently wipes the floor with his Whest 2.2 or Croft with SUT, apparently as quiet as the Whest and more preferable to either in SQ.
The RSL is apparently excellent as well.

Have you had a listen to the Tron Convergence? Be interested how it compares to the Tron Seven.

I have a TRON Convergence (MC Signature version) and I think it's pretty spectacular for the money. Impeccable case-work too. Mr Tricker is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. IME, buy with confidence.

Have you had a listen to the Tron Convergence? Be interested how it compares to the Tron Seven.

It's very close to the base model Seven. The Signature version is better still.

Update: It's interesting to note that both Convergence models have superior signal to noise performance than all previous versions of the Tron Seven.

Last edited:
The latest Arkless GTI is really good and amazing value if you can get your hands on a Cambridge Audio 640P/651P which its based on. I'm currently enjoying a Dynavector P75 mk 4 which works really well in PE mode. It about double the price of Jez's stage and sounds pretty well identical to me. Is the extra cost offset by not having to be on a bit of a waiting list? Only you can decide, but they are both great stages.

Another vote for the valab one member on here had the auroasound vida sold it and purchased the valab , not a lot in it was his opinion , i imported mine , £37 tax and duty , lots of adjustments and sounds great ,

I’ve had some recommendation on the other forum.
Trilogy 906
Bigbottle
s/h Tom Evans groove
Dynavector P75 mk4
s/h Lehmann decade
a bit over budget Gold Note PH10
I haven’t heard any of these apart from the TE groove.

A vote for the Gold Note- an absolutely cracking phono stage. When/if finances allow you can add a power supply which improves the performance even further. The flexibility and build is absolutely second to none.

FFS
Buy wisely (in terms of ££) second-hand, based on online bull, then buy another similarly bulled-up and compare.

Bought wisely? You'll loose nowt on the exercise.

Very, very, vey few people will have heard more than 2-3 of the options available, side by side, so take all comments with a pinch of salt.

Thanks to all your inputs guys. Really appreciate it.
I’ve just placed an order of the Bigbottle mk3.

Ta

A Ryan Sounds Lab phono stage is a steal for the money had one on loan for a month, if I didn’t have a Paradise I would have no hesitation buying the RSL. It is that good with plenty of flexibility for MC cartridges.

Regards,

Martin

X2 So good l purchased one, incredible VFM.

advertisement

Back