advertisement

Phono Card MB

Hi Neil,

I received my boards yesterday. Caught me by surprise. I guess you did the mailout with the NJ323 boards.

They look great with 0V tracks radiating from power ground reminding me of the alien 'walkers' in War of the Worlds.

I see that the output end of the teddyregs is further from the daughterboards than the input end. Does this make for a more rational star earth layout?

Many thanks for the no-doubt considerable number of hours that went into this.

David

Yes my MBs have arrived too. Well you'll know that anyway Neil as you sent them with the 323 boards but I thought I'd mention it here anyway.

Not being too much of an electronics genius it took me a while to work out how the MB does what it's meant to do but now I've sussed it out I can appreciate what's gone into this design so a big thank you from me Neil for your efforts.

Do I have to use the muting circuit or can it be bypassed?

So now for for the first of what will likely be a series of inane questions:

In the BOM, Neil gives some recommended resistor values for the Teddy Regs using a 37V raw DC supply. If my raw DC supply is putting out 36.7V is that close enough to 37V to use the R values that Neil recommends?

Okay, already a second question. For the 37V raw supply, Neil recommends 3k4 for R1, 158R for R2, 100k for R3. and 1M for R4. I have those exact values for R1, R3, and R4. I don't have 158R but do have 140R. If I use 140R, what will that do to the voltage out?

For the 37V raw supply, Neil recommends 3k4 for R1, 158R for R2, 100k for R3. and 1M for R4. I have those exact values for R1, R3, and R4. I don't have 158R but do have 140R. If I use 140R, what will that do to the voltage out?

Not sure where exaclty you are picking up those values - but I posted a calculator on Google Drive, it should be accessible here

But the voltage derived from your resistor set would be 27.73..perfect for the back end of the 323 cards but too hot for the front.

Anyone built this yet or doing a write upas they progress?

Another question, apologies if this has already been covered, what case, phono connectors and switch(es) would you recommend for this project? I have some Teddy Pardo kit, so if someone could recommend a box with similar aesthetics, that would be greatly appreciated.

We haven't started building ours yet. I don't have that much free time at the moment. We have the motherboards to build as well and we'll probably do those first and use Naim cards for starters. The next step will be getting the components together.

If you have a phono card MB that you'd be willing to sell please drop me a PM. I'd also be up for a pair of 323 cards. Not bothered if they're built or bare boards.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mus

Well, thanks to Neil I've got my phono MB all ready to go. Here are some piccies.

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0423.jpg

Look good don't they :)

Stefan

The phono MB bears an uncanny resemblance to the 321/729 MB. I already have one of the latter. Can I use it for the phono cards? Anything that would need tweaking first?

advertisement

Back