advertisement

PFM's Picture a Week 2024

I had a similar rainbow pic down in Devon, this week. Think that particular pot of gold will be somewhat sodden..
53626987741_7f0febcee6_b.jpg

Countisbury Hill leading into Lynmouth, just after a rain shower and the sun had come out again. 1-in-4 ahead so low gear selected.
Once clear of town, catapulted up and out the other side, 3rd gear, 5 cylinder warbling away happily.
53624817331_262aac5a34_b.jpg
Its a long way down to the sea, you should to try it on a motor bike it looks very easy to go over the edge!

Pete

@Pete MB&D The coast road isn't so bad, it's the very steep gradiant on the 2nd hairpin (heading West) at Hillfords Bridge that looks 'interesting', if on two wheels. The scrapes in the tarmac tell a few tales!

@Pete MB&D The coast road isn't so bad, it's the very steep gradiant on the 2nd hairpin (heading West) at Hillfords Bridge that looks 'interesting', if on two wheels. The scrapes in the tarmac tell a few tales!
I have overtaken a car going up porlock hill between the hairpin bends.

Pete

For a few days away, this year we chose Kraków as our annual city break destination. Being fortunate enough to share my life with someone who loves travelling, we've racked up quite a few European cities over the years - some we're not too bothered about returning to, others have got under our skin a little and look forward to going back. Kraków is certainly the latter.

The Polish people were extremely friendly, the city beautiful and utterly spotless - and from what we found, a place that is very much loved by its inhabitants.

It obviously has its very dark past, none more so than Auschwitz and Auschwitz II - Birkenau. Our superb guide made it clear which places we shouldn't photograph, something I adhered to of course. Shame on those who ignored her polite request.

No freedom here by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

For a few days away, this year we chose Kraków as our annual city break destination. Being fortunate enough to share my life with someone who loves travelling, we've racked up quite a few European cities over the years - some we're not too bothered about returning to, others have got under our skin a little and look forward to going back. Kraków is certainly the latter.

The Polish people were extremely friendly, the city beautiful and utterly spotless - and from what we found, a place that is very much loved by its inhabitants.

It obviously has its very dark past, none more so than Auschwitz and Auschwitz II - Birkenau. Our superb guide made it clear which places we shouldn't photograph, something I adhered to of course. Shame on those who ignored her polite request.

No freedom here by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Interesting. What did she ask you not to photograph, if you don't mind me asking? I was inspired by this to look back at what are for me the most powerful post-war images of the long-empty concentration camps, those made by Michael Kenna between 1988 and 2000, and there seemed to be nothing forbidden to him, including human remains. I of course understand the need for dignity and privacy, but it is also imperative that the message is conveyed. Perhaps too many photographs, snapped to easily, serve only to dilute that message.

Interesting. What did she ask you not to photograph, if you don't mind me asking? Perhaps too many photographs, snapped to easily, serve only to dilute that message.

I think this may be the main reason. The areas off-limits were the underground cells (ie those where people were kept standing in confined spaces for days), the gas chambers and the incinerators where the victims died and were disposed of. There was the usual 'selfie-brigade' and I got the feeling by placing a ban on this in the more sensitive area was to try and remove this problem. Still didn't stop a couple of folk ignoring the guide though.

advertisement

Back