Not open for further replies.
Pete - love that black and white image. Beautiful

Here's another ICM. Taken this morning:

The Woods by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8 / Formatt Hitech Firecrest 10 stop ND

Lefty

Fuji X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8 / Formatt Hitech Firecrest 10 stop ND

Lefty

I see that you are trying to preserve a little more of the original image (at least in this one).

It must be difficult to find the right balance?

I like it when you really have to think what it could be without making it impossible. Having said that, I guess leaving it open to interpretation is fun too.

Again, the warm colours are very nice imho.

May I ask how is it going with your new phone (not just for photos)?

31568471020_da388fae07_z.jpg

I see that you are trying to preserve a little more of the original image (at least in this one).

It must be difficult to find the right balance?

I like it when you really have to think what it could be without making it impossible. Having said that, I guess leaving it open to interpretation is fun too.

Again, the warm colours are very nice imho.

May I ask how is it going with your new phone (not just for photos)?

Hi Drummerman,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still trying to get to grips with ICM so am experimenting between completely obscuring the subject and giving it a little more definition. As you say, I think I'm finding a preference for giving at least some clue as to what the subject is. Getting the balance right isn't easy as you rightly say. I am also finding that despite the more loose nature of the images, good composition, light and subject matter is as important as it is with more 'normal' images. The image you see was taken early in the morning in temperatures of -3 degC in order to get the best light. I couldn't feel my hands!

With regards the phone, I'm loving it! Having changed from an iPhone, the operating system took a few days to used to, but I'm now very happy with it. Only complaints are: battery drain is very directly linked to screen brightness. (More so than the iPhone).

• The native mail app is terrible.
  • The audio quality (both from the inbuilt speaker and the 3.5mm output is no way near as good as my iPhone 6.
  • The colour rendition of the screen is horribly over saturated using default settings. (I have a colour calibrated monitor here for reference). Putting the screen profile to 'basic' helps to make things more neutral, but I still think the iPhone screen handles colours better.

Other than that, the phone is a nice improvement on my iPhone 6:

• User expandable storage.
  • Better battery life when the screen brightness is set to a fixed level around 30 - 40% brightness
  • I love the fast charge capability
  • Better screen resolution
  • Much better camera

In terms of the pictures that I have taken with it, I am waiting until I've uploaded all of my ICM images (one a day) so that I have all the pictures together in my Flickr feed (part of my New Year's photo resolution to focus on sets of images and have them go together) before uploading them. However, here is a link to my Instagram feed which contains 2 of the Samsung S7 images.

https://www.instagram.com/amar_sood_photography/

Lefty

@ Lefty

I had a look at your Samsung images ... as everything you do, very nice. The picture in the woods with sun shining through stands out.

I agree with your findings about the S7. I have my screen at about 40%, use Wifi & 4g, Location off (unless needed), Sync on and using Touchwiz with the Stock browser (which has just had an upgrade and is, imo, faster than for example Chrome).

With regards to Screen accuracy and quality, I don't have any corrected monitors so have to rely on my eyes. Totally agree that out of the box the screen is horrible (Dynamic). The basic mode is better but I still found it a smidgen to warm so I use 'ScreenBalance' to add a tad of blue to get slightly cooler whites. Its probably not perfect but good enough for me. Incidently, in early test versions of Android N there were colour temperature sliders but they have since been removed. I would guess manufacturer pressure has led to that. Samsungs Galaxy 7 screens are reportedly among the best calibrated ones (sRGB).

Battery life for my Exynos version is outstanding. I get around 8 hours of SOT with two days on standby using the phone for a lot of browsing, WhatsApp, Spotify or Tidal, some image taking and processing, the odd phone call but no gaming.

Facebook is a known resource hugger. I don't use it.

Good apps to keep the house tidy are AVAST Clean-up and Ccleaner, both of which I use regularly. I don't use any package disablers etc as the Samsung apps don't use a lot of resources.

Like you I use Snapseed for some of the processing and am looking for another programme to add a little bit more versatility. Perhaps R3 (Photomate) but SS does most things decently.

As to sound, I find it acceptable if not outstanding. I use a cheap pair of Sennheiser PX100ii with it and it passes the time. I can't compare it to an iphone. Perhaps you could add a Dragonfly or similar?

Hope you enjoy the use of the S7.

Apologies to everyone and back to the photo thread.

I had a look at your Samsung images ... as everything you do, very nice. The picture in the woods with sun shining through stands out.

I agree with your findings about the S7. I have my screen at about 40%, use Wifi & 4g, Location off (unless needed), Sync on and using Touchwiz with the Stock browser (which has just had an upgrade and is, imo, faster than for example Chrome).

Battery life for my Exynos version is outstanding. I get around 8 hours of SOT with two days on standby using the phone for a lot of browsing, WhatsApp, Spotify or Tidal, some image taking and processing, the odd phone call but no gaming.

Facebook is a known resource hugger. I don't use it.

Good apps to keep the house tidy are AVAST Clean-up and Ccleaner, both of which I use regularly. I don't use any package disablers etc as the Samsung apps don't use a lot of resources.

Like you I use Snapseed for some of the processing and am looking for another programme to add a little bit more versatility. Perhaps R3 (Photomate) but SS does most things decently.

Hope you enjoy the use of the S7.

Thanks Drummerman, and also for the tips on the S7. Very much appreciated. 8 Hours of SOT is amazing! I'll have a look into the house keeping apps :)

Lefty

Thanks guys

No Lefty still not got around to buying a polariser as i'm still unsure which lenses to keep, got far too much £££ invested in glass but it's getting harder to part with any of them !!!

I'm leaning towards keeping the 16-55 & 50-140 and selling the rest.

No Lefty still not got around to buying a polariser as i'm still unsure which lenses to keep, got far too much £££ invested in glass but it's getting harder to part with any of them !!!

I'm leaning towards keeping the 16-55 & 50-140 and selling the rest.

Good choices - they are cracking lenses. The 16-55/2.8 gets a lot of use on my X-T2. I'm usually a primes man but the 16-55 is stupidly good.

Lefty

I love it Drummerman - I'm a sucker for minimalistic images so this pushes my buttons. I like the little trail of lights in the lower left hand corner :)

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back