advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desert balls (that's enough desert, ed.)

temp-Image-FDsk-Q5.jpg

I don't seem to be able to insert images into my posts. Only links. What is the trick?
This is a copy and past from the PFM FAQs, there was a fairly recent thread on this - I think gintonic wrote it but I can't remember! FAQs
Once you know what to do, like most things, it's easy - but rather frustrating when you don't!

How to link to image files

The pfm forum does not provide free image hosting though it does allow links to external images using the vBcode IMG tags. The reason pfm does not provide this facility is that it has an impact on the database size and bandwidth, and therefore the actual performance and running cost of the site. It is also unnecessary to provide this kind of facility these days as every internet service provider (ISP) provides their customers with an amount of webspace included in the monthly fee, i.e. you already have the facility and have paid for it.

To get your picture to appear in a post on pfm you will need to find out how the webspace of your own ISP works, this information can be found in the ISP’s FAQ section. You will need a simple FTP (file transfer protocol) application to get your image up to your webspace, there is a wide choice available for PC, Mac and *nix, including freeware, so it need not cost anything. You need to know the sign in details for your webspace, again this is between you and your ISP. For the rest of this FAQ it is assumed that you been able to get the file up either onto your own webspace or onto a site like Flickr, Photobucket, Postimages.org etc (which is actually the easiest way of doing it by far).

To link to your file you obviously need to know where it is, i.e. you need to know the full domain, path and file name of the location where you uploaded the image, it will look something like this:

www.mysite.com/myfolder/myfile.jpg

It is now a simple matter of enclosing this information within the vBcode IMG tags:

If using Flickr the easiest method is to click the "more ways to share" button (the one which is a box with a curved arrow coming out of it). You now get an option to "grab the HTML/BB code" - choose 'BB code', select the image size you want and the supplied code can now be pasted directly into your post. Tinypic.com offers similar BB Code links too - just upload the file and a BB Code link is provided.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back