advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was our local dip in the sea. I did not partake (since I have a cold and, hey, someone's gotta take some snaps):

L1010656.jpg

L1010663.jpg

L1010667.jpg

All Q2. Most are cropped in quite a bit, jpg export at lower res does lose quite a bit of detail however. Reasonably happy with how this went today.

Fuji for the win imo.
Ah, I always promised that 'Q2 Review' and since I'm avoiding tidying my office right now, now might be a good time to put some thoughts down in comparison with the only other pro-level camera I use - the XT2, and taking it from the spirit of your comment above.

The XT2 clearly doesn't have the resolution of the Q2 but, all things considered (in terms of end results), the XT2 is far from embarrassed by it. The Fuji files tend to be easier to work with - in what needs to be done to them, and (being smaller files) they're quicker to load and manipulate. What's more, based on my experience with both, XT2 RAWs tend to have less noise at a given ISO than Q2 DNGs, though I'm not sure which camera (pixel-by-pixel) is the 'sharpest' SOOC. What lets the XT2 down is the handling - like all Fuji XTs, the ergonomics are typically Japanese: buttons in random places, an excess of functionality at the expense of usability, inconsistencies in modality, basically trying too hard to be all things to all men. The Leica strips back most of the unnecessary and gets out of the way more. The Q2's 28/1.7 is better than anything I have for the XT2 - 16/1.4, 27/2.8, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 and the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. But what lets the Q2 down a little is its metering. It really struggles, and it makes me work a bit for my image. Ergonomically (now that I have a JJC thumb grip and also the Arca-Swiss grip plate) its way superior to the Fuji, and in terms of capability it beats the XT2 (I can crop way more, and that lens ;) ) but for the most part neither camera beats the other.

Am I disappointed in the Q2? Not really, it's a joy to use and as a single lens only solution it's great. But the XT2 has a certain something about it too, and I'll defend it to the ends of the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back