advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound of Eigg:

53213887095_e95367749d_b.jpg

Been getting slightly frustrated of late, wondering why I was unable to get full-res jpegs from the S5 Pro's Super CCD sensor after RAF conversion. Seems that latest versions of Lightroom (and Capture One) are unable to recognise the 'R' pixels from the sensor and dump them, giving only 6MP resolution after conversion. JPEGs are unaffected as the conversions are done in camera of course.

Anyway, had a tip from a fellow S5 Pro user on Facebook today who states that earlier versions of LR do recognise the RAF files and output the correct value. My 2009 MacBook runs LRCC (2015.14 release). The resulting DR is quite an eye-opener - not for the shadow recovery but the highlights which, within sensible reason, are unburstable. For a 16 year old camera it's not bad going. :)

Haverholme Mono by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Fuji S5 Pro/Tokina 12-24 ATX Pro

Been getting slightly frustrated of late, wondering why I was unable to get full-res jpegs from the S5 Pro's Super CCD sensor after RAF conversion. Seems that latest versions of Lightroom (and Capture One) are unable to recognise the 'R' pixels from the sensor and dump them, giving only 6MP resolution after conversion. JPEGs are unaffected as the conversions are done in camera of course.

Anyway, had a tip from a fellow S5 Pro user on Facebook today who states that earlier versions of LR do recognise the RAF files and output the correct value. My 2009 MacBook runs LRCC (2015.14 release). The resulting DR is quite an eye-opener - not for the shadow recovery but the highlights which, within sensible reason, are unburstable. For a 16 year old camera it's not bad going. :)

I always found (although quite clunky and slow) Fuji's own Hyper Utility software the best raw processor to recover highlights. Although I guess more modern software may be even better. SilkyPix did a good job as well and was much nicer to use, but if the chips were down I used Hyper Utility. The S5 Jpegs I found to be excellent with lovely full histograms which could still take a bit of abuse when "tweaking". In camera BW Jpegs were fab as well.......It was a great full sunshine camera not so good in low light but as you say for a 16 year old it is not bad going at all......

wow. Frustration is over. I love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back