advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some while ago on an old WW2 airfield in East Anglia.

ApItaT.jpg

84Pjmy.jpg

3 Inch No.1 Mark 3 Rockets were the final incarnation of the unguided rockets that were mounted on rails beneath the wings of Hawker Typhoons in the last year or so of the war, famously used in the so-called 'cab ranks' over the Falaise rout of German forces in Normandy. They last saw use with Hawker Hunters in Aden in 1967, but this airfield was long closed by then.

I hasten to add that the boxes were empty!

There are many villages and hamlets dotted around Lincolnshire - most of them seem to have a church, sadly some of which are derelict. One which is in beautiful condition though is St Denys church, Aswarby, about 4 miles from us.

St Denys Aswarby by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Nikon D700/24-70 2.8 G
something about Lincs churches has always got to me since John Betjeman wrote 'A Linconshire tale' and then, when we lived in Northants we used to frive round visitingas many as we could. The proportions of that one are very beautiful.

When you look at many of the ancient and beautiful churches in these islands, the resource dedication to building them is astounding; you find these tiny little hamlets with exquisite edifices, modest by todays standards - that would have towered over the original wattle/daub/ timber/ cob dwellings, and represented hundreds of years of investment and dedication (in several senses) by the locals - and in new technologies. It's a fascinating subject in its own right.

I must pop 'next door' soon; and take some photos of one of my utmost, and very early, favourites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Laurence's_Church,_Bradford-on-Avon

- which is often put around 740-743 AD. NB the wiki page is not remotely well written, and mistakes the possible 110/11th C styles as original fabric for things carved into the existing edifice in relief - a lot of the arches and pilaster on the outside are carved in relief from the solid stone, obvious when close. and also a massive amount of work!

Housefire in Wellington, New Zealand.
51860069357_246ca68a80_b.jpg

Nikon D810 + AF Nikkor 300mm 2.8VR + TC20E-III Teleconverter. 1/1000 @ f5.6 ISO200. Hosted on Flickr, all rights reserved.

This is what they describe as a fire that is 'well involved'. From my work-from-home desk, I saw the initial billow of smoke ~3 metres above the roof, hoping it was from the fire service extinguishing the fire. A few seconds later saw the flames licking out from the thick black smoke. I heard the sirens, so rather than call 111, I set about getting my gear together. The fire was fanned by a 30-35 kmh wind from the north. Eventually attended by 11 appliances in total, the Fire Service managed to save all of the neighbouring houses (they're around 2-3 metres apart in this neighbourhood). My images are early in the piece, before the 'Snorkel' truck arrived. Thankfully the three occupants escaped unharmed.

Housefire in Wellington, New Zealand.
51860069357_246ca68a80_b.jpg

Nikon D810 + AF Nikkor 300mm 2.8VR + TC20E-III Teleconverter. 1/1000 @ f5.6 ISO200. Hosted on Flickr, all rights reserved.

This is what they describe as a fire that is 'well involved'. From my work-from-home desk, I saw the initial billow of smoke ~3 metres above the roof, hoping it was from the fire service extinguishing the fire. A few seconds later saw the flames licking out from the thick black smoke. I heard the sirens, so rather than call 111, I set about getting my gear together. The fire was fanned by a 30-35 kmh wind from the north. Eventually attended by 11 appliances in total, the Fire Service managed to save all of the neighbouring houses (they're around 2-3 metres apart in this neighbourhood). My images are early in the piece, before the 'Snorkel' truck arrived. Thankfully the three occupants escaped unharmed.

Rico - that's some image! Relieved that no one was harmed and clearly brilliant work by the emergency services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back