advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCF1125_1024px.jpg

In the Gallery
Fuji X100: 1/8s handheld

Oh what I'd give to be here right now.

“The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest; always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind and body.”

A Wainwright.

Green and Great by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

From 2017

Olympus Pen F/12-40 2.8 Pro

“The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest; always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind and body.”

A Wainwright.

A favourite hill and an amazing place to photograph. And a nice view of the hill where my boy nearly killed me by mistake..

A Wainwright.

Green and Great by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

From 2017

Olympus Pen F/12-40 2.8 Pro

Sublime!

I wish I'd got views like that when I took my son up there for the first time this summer! We were well and truly clagged in - although I'm using it to give us a reason to go back up there again :D

Lefty

Sublime!

I wish I'd got views like that when I took my son up there for the first time this summer! We were well and truly clagged in - although I'm using it to give us a reason to go back up there again :D

Lefty

We were so fortunate that day, in fact I'd say in the many years I've walked in the Lakes, this was up there with the finest for weather. We set off from Honister Quarry in thick mist which remained closed in until well after Drum House. It began to lift though (it was Emma's first fell walk so wanted it to be good) and soon we had the whole amphitheatre of the Gables, Brandreth and the High Stiles with Haystacks in the centre spread out before us. Enough cloud though to make the sky interesting, and provide shadows on the fell sides & tops.

A favourite hill and an amazing place to photograph. And a nice view of the hill where my boy nearly killed me by mistake..

It's a wonderful place, I agree. We had a superb day up there but personally I prefer to walk these fells in the winter. Much quieter, and somehow greater atmosphere.

We were so fortunate that day, in fact I'd say in the many years I've walked in the Lakes, this was up there with the finest for weather. We set off from Honister Quarry in thick mist which remained closed in until well after Drum House. It began to lift though (it was Emma's first fell walk so wanted it to be good) and soon we had the whole amphitheatre of the Gables, Brandreth and the High Stiles with Haystacks in the centre spread out before us. Enough cloud though to make the sky interesting, and provide shadows on the fell sides & tops.

That's wonderful! Hopefully she has caught the fell-walking bug?

Having grown up in London, I came to it late in life. Sadly my parents had a 7 days a week, 364 days a week job (they closed the shop on Christmas day). I am extremely grateful for their sacrifice and hard work, but it did mean that I only ever got the opportunity to venture out of London on school trips (when we would gaze out of the windows of the school coach and marvel at the fact there were real, live sheep in the fields :D )

I moved out of London after University and my eyes were finally opened to the rest of the UK.. I'm determined to give my son what I didn't have while growing up: an awareness and appreciation for all that the UK Landscape has to offer.

Luckily, he wasn't the slightest bit put off by the clag and wet weather. He hugely enjoyed his first two fells (Catbells and Haystacks on consecutive days) and is eager for more. I just hope I can keep up with him when he's older! I thought I'd posted this before but it seems I hadn't (at least not on here): a phone snap of my son at the summit of Haystacks :)

51854909055_2e64155397_b.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S20

Lefty

I just hope I can keep up with him when he's older! Lefty

Absolutely no chance, a few years ago I'd be cajoling my son up the hills, now he leads on while I'm breathless behind! The good thing is that always offers to carry my pack as well, so he makes a good sherpa! Its absolutely great to do these trips, the bonding sessions and memories will last a lifetime.

Absolutely no chance, a few years ago I'd be cajoling my son up the hills, now he leads on while I'm breathless behind! The good thing is that always offers to carry my pack as well, so he makes a good sherpa! Its absolutely great to do these trips, the bonding sessions and memories will last a lifetime.

Haha :D

He's 7 now and I'm 39. I predict that by the time he is 16, the tables will have turned!

Agreed 100%. The trip holds fond memories for us both and we are eager to return :)

Lefty

Having grown up in London, I came to it late in life. Sadly my parents had a 7 days a week, 364 days a week job (they closed the shop on Christmas day). I am extremely grateful for their sacrifice and hard work, but it did mean that I only ever got the opportunity to venture out of London on school trips (when we would gaze out of the windows of the school coach and marvel at the fact there were real, live sheep in the fields :D )

I moved out of London after University and my eyes were finally opened to the rest of the UK.. I'm determined to give my son what I didn't have while growing up: an awareness and appreciation for all that the UK Landscape has to offer.

Luckily, he wasn't the slightest bit put off by the clag and wet weather. He hugely enjoyed his first two fells (Catbells and Haystacks on consecutive days) and is eager for more. I just hope I can keep up with him when he's older! I thought I'd posted this before but it seems I hadn't (at least not on here): a phone snap of my son at the summit of Haystacks :)

51854909055_2e64155397_b.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S20

Lefty

That's such a wonderful image. :)

I first got into hill-walking (or found enjoyment in it) during an A-Level Geology trip to the Brecon Beacons but never truly 'got it' until a group of us went to the Lakes in 1985 (I was 19). From then on, I was hooked. Was a bit of a mountain goat back then, unlke now where I think I'd make AW's pace look quick! :D

Thinking of starting a thread for 'landscape memories' for everyone to contribute. Be they memories of 30+ years ago, or yesterday.

That's such a wonderful image. :)

I first got into hill-walking (or found enjoyment in it) during an A-Level Geology trip to the Brecon Beacons but never truly 'got it' until a group of us went to the Lakes in 1985 (I was 19). From then on, I was hooked. Was a bit of a mountain goat back then, unlke now where I think I'd make AW's pace look quick! :D

Haha :D

I wish I'd found it 10 years earlier. I didn't really get properly into it until 2016.

As to my pace, I'd be a damn sight quicker if I didn't insist on carrying such a heavy pack! Even then, I'm not the fastest, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying myself :)

Thinking of starting a thread for 'landscape memories' for everyone to contribute. Be they memories of 30+ years ago, or yesterday.

What a fantastic idea - I'm in (despite not having a huge history of images / memories to draw upon). I'd look forward to reading others' contributions though.

Lefty

Lefty

Sheffield Pike is a nice wander from Glencoyne for youngsters. Great views off Ullswater and Helvellyn. Caudale Moor as well due to the great views and a chance to explore the old mines. So many great walks.

Wonderful as always Mark - painterly perfection!

Sheffield Pike is a nice wander from Glencoyne for youngsters. Great views off Ullswater and Helvellyn. Caudale Moor as well due to the great views and a chance to explore the old mines. So many great walks.

Fantastic - thanks for the tips Mark. Just had a look and Sheffield Pike looks ideal. Beautiful views and at an elevation of 675m, it will give my lad a nice sense of achievement as well :)

We did actually attempt Catstye Cam in October. Unfortunately it proved a little too much for him. He got to within 5m of the summit (according to the GPS) but was too afraid to go any higher due to the wind. I didn't force him and we made our way back down with smiles on our faces. I did float the idea of tagging Birkhouse Moor on the way down, but in the end, we just made our way straight back down to Patterdale.

PS - I made a little video of the walk using my little DJI Pocket 2 which I posted up on this thread here:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/catstye-cam-a-film-of-our-day-in-the-hills.260876/

Amar

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back