advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you know the answer already....................

I'm open to suggestions. Criteria are:
  • Genuinely pocketable
  • Have to be able to adjust exposure settings (shutter speed, ISO, aperture) with one hand (with dog lead in the other)
  • 16MP min resolution
Lefty

I'm open to suggestions. Criteria are:
  • Genuinely pocketable
  • Have to be able to adjust exposure settings (shutter speed, ISO, aperture) with one hand (with dog lead in the other)
  • 16MP min resolution
Lefty

X100 series - big pockets - solved

On my F, with just my right hand, I can adjust aperture using the lens ring (remember it has a couple of tags on it to ease this), set front dial to command, this adjusts EV +/-5EV when top dial is set to C, press it and it adjusts ISO including the ability to select 3 x AutoISO modes, set SS Top Dial to T, and rear dial adjust Shutter Speed, full Manual control one handed :)

I'm tempted!

X100 series - big pockets - solved

On my F, with just my right hand, I can adjust aperture using the lens ring (remember it has a couple of tags on it to ease this), set front dial to command, this adjusts EV +/-5EV when top dial is set to C, press it and it adjusts ISO including the ability to select 3 x AutoISO modes, set SS Top Dial to T, and rear dial adjust Shutter Speed, full Manual control one handed :)

Yes, I fit my old X100T into my pockets with no problem. Loved that thing and may just end up getting another....

Lefty

Much as I love the X100 (it's a truly special camera when all's said) if I wanted a pocketable camera I'd take the Ricoh every time. Its IQ is just as good, its lens is sharper (it's tack sharp at all apertures, even at min focus), has IBIS and was designed from the outset to be useable one-handed. As with the Fuji, it produces gorgeous jpegs - mono especially - thanks to Pentax's input. Only downside is that the GR's probably not quite as robust.

Of course the best solution? Get both. :)

Only downside is that the GR's probably not quite as robust.

Of course the best solution? Get both. :)

The GR series has another (for me) significant failing, when you hold it up to your eye, you viewfinder is very black :) (but it is more pocketable)

@Gromit @Mr Perceptive

It's official - I've got a serious case of GAS!

So I didn't know the GRIII doesn't have a viewfinder. Unfortunately, that could be a deal breaker. I shoot through the viewfinder most of the time (hence why I plumped for the RX100 III over the II). However, everything else about the GRIII looks great.

Potentially a silly question, how do you both think the recently announced Fuji X-E4 would stack up? It seems almost as small as the X100 (when used with something like the new XF 27/2.8 WR). It would also mean I could add further Fuji glass down the line if required.

Another left field suggestion - what about the Olympus Pen F. Is there a suitable lens with which this could become a pocketable camera? How does the image quality hold up?

Lefty

@Lefty

If you can find a good used Pen F I might - just might - take one over the GRIII and X100*. Add something like a Panasonic 20-1.7 and it's smaller than the X100. It has superb IBIS (it's an Olympus after all) hi-res function, and although it 'only' has the Mu43 sensor, it'll hold its own unless you get daft with the ISOs. Lovely jpeg output, especially the monos.

If you go onto the Flickr image for this, it's the Pen F doing its thing with the tiny 45-1.8:

F3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back