advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony a6000 with 16mm f2.8 lens

26252814804_b746e1d4b8_b.jpg

That's a cracker Paul - I wouldn't have known it was a panorama unless you'd said. Good use of the technique!

I was lucky enough to find myself in The Peak District this weekend. Believe it or not, this was my first time there. I'm not used to photographing such vast landscapes so it was a learning process. We were there for a 11 mile hike and I do regret taking so much camera equipment with me. (Particularly since it was 26 deg C and we were out in the hottest part of the day.) My back / legs are extremely sore!

Unfortunately, we were out in the middle of the day so the light was generally a bit flat / boring. When we were lucky enough to get some cloud / interesting light I got the camera out. Otherwise, I decided to focus on the hike, which was extremely enjoyable. Especially when we reached Lud's Church which was nice and cool! It will take me a while to sort through the shots. Here are a couple to start: (panorama best viewed BIG on Flickr)

Solitary by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D610 / Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8

Peak District Panorama by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D610 / Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8

Lefty

Lefty, ditch the FF for hikes, get a mirrorless system to run alongside the FF, something like a S/H X-E2 plus the 14 or 18-55 or both would do the trick, same size filter thread as well and can share hoods!!

Nice shots BTW

+3 excellent capture!

Lefty, ditch the FF for hikes, get a mirrorless system to run alongside the FF, something like a S/H X-E2 plus the 14 or 18-55 or both would do the trick, same size filter thread as well and can share hoods!!

Nice shots BTW

Thanks Mr P. In future I will definitely be taking less kit so I can focus on and enjoy the hike. Trouble is, contrary to my expectations, my most used lens was the big, heavy and excellent Nikkor 14-24/2.8. I need to spend some time with a smaller Fuji in the field to see if how it fares compared to the Nikon. I did actually have the little Sony RX100 II with me, which is an absolutely superb little camera. That probably would have done the job nicely in most circumstances. I need to make some decisions as to what I'll be taking with me for my upcoming holiday to Ibiza...

Lefty

Make that +4 BD, great stuff.

Amar, thanks, I tend to use a 50mm lens for my pano's as I feel it gives a bit more impact - my boat needs a bit more air around it as some of the aerial was lost during the Stitch :(

Oh, and carrying all that gear is character building :) My tripod and head is like something the 1st armored division would use :D

Make that +4 BD great stuff

Amar, thanks, I tend to use a 50mm lens for my pano's as I feel it gives a bit more impact - my boat needed a bit bit more air around it as some of the aerial was lost during the Stitch :(

Oh, and carrying all that gear is character building :) My tripod and head is like something the 1st armored division would use :D

I honestly hadn't noticed the cut off aerial until you mentioned it. Doesn't detract from what is a lovely image :)

My initial idea was to actually use a longer focal length for the panos (I used both my 50mm and 85mm on some shots which I am yet to edit) but the 14-24 (shot at 24mm) turned out best in this instance. I have a nice pano from the 85mm which I need to get round to processing. I will post it up when I'm done.

Character building - I like that! The weight wasn't that bad I suppose. It just made me feel encumbered and less free. I just didn't need to take so many lenses (I had my 70-200/4, 85/1.4, 50/1.8 and 14-24/2.8). I wish I'd just taken the Sigma 35/1.4 which would have been the best all rounder!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back