advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys
The shoot was linked to a previous interview a friend of mine had done with her - which now looks like it may see the light of day on Louder than War. Not the easiest person to shoot in some ways but still quite fun.
I'd previously been asked to take down some live shots I'd done because she'd thought they were "hideous" , this and the alternate are apparently "nice".
Has taken off on Flickr some 830+ views so far, lot more than I normally get.

I've been in the darkroom printing a bunch of Berlin pictures. It's great to have a darkroom again after 18 months without one.

8400397332_f341340268_o_d.jpg

I've been in the darkroom printing a bunch of Berlin pictures. It's great to have a darkroom again after 18 months without one.

8400397332_f341340268_o_d.jpg

Lovely stuff there Ian - you an FB or RC kind of guy? I'm having a bit of a dabble with FB and am getting pretty frustrated with curl. Prints that are reasonably flat go curly as they are sat in my obviously rather damp house.

These are RC, I only print on fibre on the rare occasions someone is buying a print, or if it's for some other special occasion. These are all on bog standard Ilford glossy multigrade RC, because I'd run out of my usual Ilford pearl warmtone RC paper. I find the only way to flatten fibre prints is to put them under something very heavy for about a week (after they've completely dried). I use a world atlas with a sewing machine on top.

I might put these up - unmounted - in a local cafe and make a small cheapskate exhibition out of it.

Thanks very much. Mounting and framing costs a fortune (much, much more than printing), and based on previous experience the most I ever sell is one or maybe two prints from an exhibition, so pinning them up to the wall unmounted is definitely the way to go. Exhibiting is a big ego trip really, and can be a very good way of spending large amounts of money.

Exhibiting is a big ego trip really.

Yes and no. My other half is a painter and I've done the rounds of art fairs, exhibitions, open days and galleries across London. Some of the stuff people attempt to sell, and the prices they ask, is pure vanity.

Quality will out, though. Punters know it when they see it, and they'll pay for it. It's a bit different with photography – a print doesn't have as much intrinsic value as a one-off oil painting. Still, I'd rather spend some time with your pics (and many of the others on here) than, say, Jurgen Teller's latest burps.

There was a Michael Ackerman show in Berlin recently, with a mix of big framed matt inkjet prints and smaller unframed semi-gloss darkroom prints just hanging on little bulldog clips - the latter looked really good and 'object-like' compared to the flatter framed ones.

I've seen it a lot recently. I suspect there just isn't very much money about. But, at the same time, it can look good.

Thanks for the kind words, John.

Thanks very much. Mounting and framing costs a fortune (much, much more than printing), and based on previous experience the most I ever sell is one or maybe two prints from an exhibition, so pinning them up to the wall unmounted is definitely the way to go. Exhibiting is a big ego trip really, and can be a very good way of spending large amounts of money.

I know the feeling, but I use Ikea frames at £7.29 including mount, and have a collection of about 15 of them, which is about right for the size of exhibitions I do. I then cellophane wrap card mounted prints and put them in a hayrack.
Different exhibitions tend to sell different things, I held two exhibitions last summer, at one only sold framed prints (£79 a go), and the nest, a few weeks later, only sold card mounted work, at £29 a go.
Over Xmas we did an exhibition, and reduced the formerly £79 framed prints to £49, and sold none.

Presentation IS the key, if it looks like you are proud of your work, it gives it value. However, sadly, many prints sell because they match the new curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back