advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2008 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like it, seems a bit poor you can't post comments about peoples photos, isn't that the general idea?

I may well have misunderstood the initial request, if so someone just say and I'll merge the two threads back again.

Tony.

I may well have misunderstood the initial request, if so someone just say and I'll merge the two threads back again.

Tony.

tony.

i think the idea was to isolate picture from discussion in the "theme" thread(s) only, not necessarily right now, but in the future ones. we can just do that on our own by creating two distinct threads when starting it up--if people still want to.

that said, i think that 1 or 2 people wanted a clean photo-only thread for PAW, which isn't turning out to be such a great idea, IMO.

vuk.

Lets leave it for a day or two - I can easily put it back, but I'd like a little more feedback first as spitting it in two was a pretty tedious 45 minutes or so, i.e. it is far easier to put back than to do again! It was nice to see all the pics again though, some great work IMO.

Tony.

yes...lovely...!!

I've got some shots of the morpeth shop on my home laptop - if I remember / if good enough then I'll post them up on here.. :)

here goes...
2388174396_f4e080bb2a.jpg

I like that Cliff. Looks slightly odd in a good way. If I were you I'd glue that 50mm on for a year and not use anything else.

That has an interesting 3d quality. I agree with Guy, don't use any other lenses for a while.

-- Ian

Just realised I've commented on Cliff's pic in the PAW pic-only thread. Now Officially Confused. Are we supposed to just post comments here?

Anyway, Cliff - that shot (nothing to do with the cones - honest) has a really interesting quality. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was medium format colour neg film rather than the D3.

As Ian says, it's the feeling of space you get from the sharp area of focus and then the gradation into the very smooth background blur, and the pronounced vignetting. What aperture were you using?

I think everyone is agreed that we should comment in the original thread as it's just too disjointed. There are possibilites to pull the pictures out of the PAW and theme threads to give a picture only / gallery view whcih would be the bset of both worlds i think.

Anyway, Cliff - that shot (nothing to do with the cones - honest) has a really interesting quality. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was medium format colour neg film rather than the D3.

As Ian says, it's the feeling of space you get from the sharp area of focus and then the gradation into the very smooth background blur, and the pronounced vignetting. What aperture were you using?

I'm sure a better photographer than me could get even more out of the damn thing, but yes its doing all the more of stuff that I wanted. For instance if you go into a dimly lit church and want to shoot detailed shots of fonts, effigies or whatever then you just whack the ISO up to 1600 or even 2000+ and you know its not going to be too noisy, then the rest is about focussing, framing and you can if you're lazy just auto bracket everything on motor drive to avoid having to manually meter everything.

That one was crying out for minimum DOF so I just cranked it up to F1.4 and had to fudge the ISO to one of the Low settings (I think plus 1) so as not to exceed the maximum shutter speed.

Ahh spring lambs, they have them in East Sussex too where we're staying this weekend.

iGary - he lives in Weardale - basically East South East of Newcastle in the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back