advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2008 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one was crying out for minimum DOF so I just cranked it up to F1.4 and had to fudge the ISO to one of the Low settings (I think plus 1) so as not to exceed the maximum shutter speed.

Get yourself a neutral density filter for your prime. An ND3 reduces the light by three stops. Your camera will still focus fine and you'll be able to use 1.4 in bright sunshine without exceeding 1/8000 or whatever the D3 goes to.

Cesare

Cliff,

Is that the 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor or did you buy the Sigma 50mm?

Joe

2390387083_f73d7a08f6_o.jpg

#7. Really Big!

Tony.

matthew.

i never thought i would say something like this, but you may need to go to walmart to get what you're looking for.

vuk.

mr. cat.

i think getting closer to the the animals (or framing far more tightly with a longer lens) would have raised your game considerably here. i am think not just of isolating the interesting from all the jarring distractions, but an exploration of textures/patterns which is the interesting thing here. something like this is what i'm thinking, though possibly from a slightly better angle/perspective:

lamb.jpg

yes, it's relatively easy to see things like this after the fact, but you need to visualise them on the spot.

vuk.

mr. cat.

i think getting closer to the the animals (or framing far more tightly with a longer lens) would have raised your game considerably here. i am think not just of isolating the interesting from all the jarring distractions, but an exploration of textures/patterns which is the interesting thing here. something like this is what i'm thinking, though possibly from a slightly better angle/perspective:

lamb.jpg

yes, it's relatively easy to see things like this after the fact, but you need to visualise them on the spot.

vuk.

yeah, thanks for that...I guess one of the most common comments on my pics (on flickr) are suggestions for crops...I agree - I should defo look at this a bit more - however, most of my photos are just representations of of what happened and at times i don't always have time to study the composition etc so I tend just to leave in everything that's in the shot... :)

but this is a decent shot I took a couple of years back - untouched apart from a bit of sharpening...
319452946_2bb5ba14c6.jpg

2393025000_b5eaab99f1_o.jpg

#8 Pallet.

I've just been going through my desktop 'temporary' camera folder and this is one from earlier in the year (Jan). I got as far as doing the Photoshop stuff at the time (i.e. making it B&W) but never bothered uploading it. Given that I've taken so little this year it's possibly worth sticking up.

Tony.

tony.

there is a nice tonal palette (wink) there, but your lines are all verticals and horizontals. it's very difficult to make that sort of thing work in a picture. it's the equivalent of a thud. diagonals lead the viewer through the picture, make it seem to have flow.

similar problem here. for it to work, i would have needed the impossible: both higher sun and longer cap-nut shadows:

the_wrong_time.jpg

vuk.

there is a nice tonal palette (wink) there, but your lines are all verticals and horizontals. it's very difficult to make that sort of thing work in a picture. it's the equivalent of a thud. diagonals lead the viewer through the picture, make it seem to have flow.

I know exactly what you mean, and it is what made me hesitate in uploading it in the first place. Looking at it again fresh I kind of liked it, as for some reason that I can't pin down it works, at least on some level. Possibly in an 'anti-photography' way, i.e. that it is clearly 'wrong'.

I'm at the stage with photography where, whilst I may not have fully grasped them, I at least acknowledge the existence of the 'rule of thirds', 'diagonals = good', 'triangles = good' etc etc, but find it far too easy to get trapped into doing the predictable and as a result find much of what I take boring. The thing I love about Eggleston etc is that they completely break these rules - I see them as a punk-like "f*** off!" to convention and when they work they really work. I like your pic for the same reason, even more so that you left some obvious lens barrel distortion in that I'd have wimped out and fixed in Photoshop ;-)

Tony.

Been laid up in bed for the best part of the last two days, feeling like absolute shite and apparently going for the world record in how much sweat a body can produce, but got round to developing the roll I finished off in the Yashica the other day.
Here's a couple
2392702893_432483fc30.jpg

2392459121_4d3f584b1d.jpg

Neopan400 & Xtol

More in my stream http://flickr.com/photos/pete_tainsh/

Well given we had snow settling here in Brighton, here are some of the locals out discovering there is a limit to how big a snowball you can physically push.

Cesare

KC7U3880.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back