advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2008 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah sorry Tony -- posted that then saw how your comment of how long it took -- would've been nicer about it had i realised!

Matthew, sounds cool, what exactly would that entail from my perspective?

For minimal impact at your end one could do it without any server side code. i.e. just have a remote app that gets the RSS feed for this thread, parses out the pictures, author data etc. and generates some static HTML with only some minimal client side javascript and nothing server-side. You could possibly add some static links in the vBulletin config, so that "PAW Gallery" appears in the quick links section, say. And likewise the PAW Gallery could include "Comment on this picture" type links that link back to the PAW Discussion thread.

To host it on this domain would just need an ftp location and user name / password where the HTML can be uploaded. Obviously this would be a sub-directory and the user id would only have write access to that bit. Or it could even be hosted by someone else and done entirely without any effort / risk on your part.

I believe young people would refer to this as a "mash up" and it's like, you know, veh web two point zero dude.

"though by saying that I'd insist anything we proposed did run on this server rather than externally"

If you run code on your server it's a whole different kettle of fish with proper security implications. You would need to do that properly and it would quickly escalate to more work than it's worth I think. You would also need a LINUX / php type person to do the work which means either hanging out at Rochdale Polytechnic, joining a Counter Strike clan or asking Vuk :)

There might well be ways to do this via external sites with more approriate web based technologies; I could write something to do it from my home server and on the small scale we have here it would work fine but really that's the "wrong" way to do it and it should be done via something more appropritate for the Internet (e.g. someone like Vuk writes something running on his server that generates the appropriate HTML and PFM just links back to that).

"as I not comfortable with a situation where one user had the ability to remove or impact large aspects of this site's photo content."

The thread is still there. It's just re-packaged into some HTML to allow a more photo friendly alternative view so I'm not sure that should really be too concerning. Also PAW / Theme could continue as is with inline discussion since the external HTML provides a noise free picture view.

Note also that pfm (or whoever) would not re-host the pictures and would simply wrap the supplied links in HTML. This is important, not least as the photos are owned by their respective authors and pfm or anyone else should not rehost without their permission.

Matthew, can we do 'veh mash up' thing in standard HTML - I'm really only prepared to go down roads that are part of pfm, i.e. I don't want to use code distributed on other people's servers, plus I have a deep-seated mistrust of Microsoft web technologies based on many years of experience! pfm is my business / day job and I need to retain full understanding and control of every single aspect of it however small. As for the HTML code, just email it to me and I'll hoof it up where you want it to go.

Tony.

You either have code on someone else's server or code on your server. From your point of view I would have thought having it on someone else's is by far the preferred option since it means zero risk or effort on your part. it would of course be relatively simple to do it server side in php or something but a) you need to speak to someone other than me and b) you really do then have potential security issues.

I don't think e-mail would work as you would want it to update when someone posts a picture.

Matthew

The obivous option is of course the do nothing option and just have a couple threads with 10 pictures in them. It's obvisouly not worth making anyhing too complex for such a small part of a relatively small site.

2387484616_dfd3f96dd0_o.jpg

Door from graveyard at Goudhurst Churchyard
Nikon D3, 24-85 zoom at 50mm

Ok, if those are the breaks it looks like a non-starter, sorry. I'm not happy to run stuff out on other people's servers for the reasons given earlier and I agree running unsupported 3rd party PHP this close to pfm's main vBulletin installation has unacceptable security risks.

Tony.

Cesare,

Seems like same shop I photoed last year in the Borough, does this make the place in the background/left of the second picture below the pub you've been to ? The area was too busy on an April Sunday morning.

Cheers as they say
Omer

Yes, that's the place. I was there to meet the others at the Market Porter and had the end of a roll of HP5 in the camera and realised it wasn't going to be any use in low light (as the rest was at ISO400). I finished the roll off with some shots of the market and the cheese shop. My shot was through the window since it was actually closed at the time.

Here are some shots from there I too about a year ago, Eos 3, Tmax 3200, so quite grainy but I like them. One of the pub from outside the cheese shot, and one of them clearing up in the evening.

D3wq43

http://www.loftsoft.co.uk/pictures/film.551.jpg

http://www.loftsoft.co.uk/pictures/film.552.jpg

Ok, if those are the breaks it looks like a non-starter, sorry. I'm not happy to run stuff out on other people's servers for the reasons given earlier

I'm not sure I understand your reasons but I was beginning to wonder quite what I was getting myself into in terms of time comitment, so fair enough.

I also wonder if there is not someway to do this via an existing RSS feed reader as it seems quite an obivous thing to do.

matthew.

it would take me a couple of hours to script a php routing that grabbed the PFM html ripped through it and parsed out picture links, presented then, etc. it would involve nothing at tony's end.

vuk.

it would take me a couple of hours to script a php routing that grabbed the PFM html ripped through it and parsed out picture links, presented then, etc. it would involve nothing at tony's end.

As stated earlier I'm not prepared to have anything to do with pfm hosted anywhere outside of my direct control. Apologies, but that's just the way it is.

Tony.

Vuk -- You don't need the HTML as PFM is all RSS'd up so you can get the XML directly. Whch also allows you to subscribe to it rather than polling.

Tony -- I think what Vuk is suggesting wouldn't require anything from your end. It's just a different way of looking at the pictures without all the stuff around it which is necessary for forum reasons but gets in the way when looking at the pictures. i.e. its no different than an RSS reader (which I am fairly sure would do this for you anyway wihtout any code).

Ok, as long as it needs nothing here (i.e. people don’t need to embed tags into their posts or anything else), and assuming Carl says it doesn’t impact pfm’s security at all then I’m happy to give it a go.

Vuk, please wait a day or two before trying anything at all though as I’m currently having a bit of a nightmare getting the hosting company to deliver acceptable performance as is. I really don’t want another variable in the mix at this time. I think pfm is getting migrated to another server / hosting plan later today in yet another attempt to get past the mid-day slow down / database errors.

When we do get to trying stuff please also PM or email me the link before making it public – I obviously need to ok it first.

Tony.

It would be completely non-intrusive with regard to PFM and to the server would just look exactly like someone reading the RSS feed.

guys, since we created the new room, activity seems to have died down considerably.

vuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back