advertisement

pfm Health Club

Habits are easier to break than you think, its all about priorities. I've recently had to give up alcohol, meat (inc. fish) and a whole host of other foods, basically I'm eating a mostly plant and grain/legume diet, with limited oils/fats. Being so restrictive its quite hard, but I now wonder why I used to think I simply had to have that bottle of wine or bar of chocolate. The mediterranean diet - if you didn't already know - was based solely on the people of Crete in the 50s, they were poor so ate mostly what they could grow, few meats, some fish, few luxuries. Modern Italians are quite fat, don't be fooled into glugging 'healthy' olive oil! Damn it, our affluence has made many of us ill.

Short update: I’ve decided to review diet and exercise balance as soon as I’m through Saturday’s race. In the meantime, it’s all about staying hydrated and figuring what can sustain me through the big day. Should be okay, but being my first proper endurance event who knows how it will go!!!

Short update: I’ve decided to review diet and exercise balance as soon as I’m through Saturday’s race. In the meantime, it’s all about staying hydrated and figuring what can sustain me through the big day. Should be okay, but being my first proper endurance event who knows how it will go!!!

Good luck!

Reactions: JTC
Put on a pound this week. Could have been loads of beer on Thursday. Indian curry and more beer on Friday and chocolate on both days.

Ah well, back on the case next week.

2lbs off this week. Down to 162lb. 2lb more off and that’s 60lbs gone.
Feels like cheating as I made Tiramasu at the weekend. Apparently I’m to visit one of those eat all you want buffet things over Easter. Can’t see the progress being maintained!

I'm down to 17-7. I've noticed that as I lose more weight the rate of loss slows down somewhat. Apart from work I don't get enough exercise but I'm bloody exhausted when I get home and too tired to do anything. I'm not complaining though. Today I'm wearing a pair of trousers that I haven't been able to get into for quite some time!

I am going to weigh myself today, now that my big race is over. I want to lose a stone or so, but need to know exactly where I am as a baseline. It’d be good to make a firm resolution to improve, and now is as good a time as any :)

I am going to weigh myself today, now that my big race is over. I want to lose a stone or so, but need to know exactly where I am as a baseline. It’d be good to make a firm resolution to improve, and now is as good a time as any :)

How did you get on?

When you say a stone or so, what approach are you thinking of for your target weight?

Race was hard going: reasonably good to around 20K then started to suffer abdominal cramps/discomfort which remained for the next 30K. I had to drop pace a bit (had no choice) and ended up ‘jeffing’ most of the second half.

Not sure of approach yet. Probably just cutting back a bit on portion size, a bit more upper-body training and avoiding eating too much crap!

I'd just like to give a bit of encouragement to all those either on or considering a journey to healthier and fitter lifestyles in the pursuit of well being.

Just remember that despite all the fad diets and gimmicky magazine articles about '8 weeks to a beach body' etc, that for most of us the path is going to be a mid to long term one that requires persistence and commitment. Your goal can sometimes seem very far off into the distance, if you can see it at all. I find the best thing to do is keep in mind firmly where you want to go, but focus most of your energies on completing the next step which is easier to manage. Its the classic break your goal down into manageable chunks pep talk, but it bears repeating.

Lots of people struggle for all kinds of reasons to make it past 12 weeks, but usually I find those with level heads and sensible expectations can make it to 6 months and beyond, and its at this milestone that many people see real signs of progress which in itself builds confidence and renewed purpose to going the rest of the way, whether its the scales or the mirror, or fitting better into clothes, having more energy etc.

Keep going!

indeed - diets tend to be a waste of time, it has to be a way of life...

you will have setbacks (I've got a sore right shoulder just now) - but as long as you're progressing overall and heading towards your goal then good.

but it can take discipline and dedication (depending on your level), but you should enjoy it, this will enable you to sustain this for the long term...

document your progress too, as you do 1 specific exercise at a certain weight / time, then as long as you're able to better that then you will see the progress over time and see how far you've come... :)

I keep track of my weight daily now and knocked up a simple spreadsheet to give a seven day rolling average. This is showing slow but steady progress. I've got about 15 lbs to go to get to my ultimate weight goal.

Fitness wise, I am not in training for anything beyond being healthier and staving off the threat of diabetes. I measure progress by being able to climb the 122 steps up to the upper west stand at the Amex without stopping.

I think I should look into a sport or something, maybe a racket sport such as squash or badminton, exercise purely for the sake of exercise like gym stuff, running or cycling just holds no long term interest or enjoyment for me so it would last maybe a week until I jacked it in.

Adding a little competitive side to things with an actual point to doing it may be the key, do they run these sort of things at local leisure centres etc. or is a specific club job?

Thought I’d made progress. 132.4kg on Wednesday. Unbelievably 134.2kg today.

I’m not giving up, but I am going to switch to posting monthly for now. We’re in the middle of a house sale/purchase, and lots of other life/work stuff. I think lifestyle is the key phrase here, and if all pans out as hoped, things should get easier.

Consistently under 15 1/2 stone now. Walking is a lot easier.
It is simple really, just cut down on the portions.
Reducing the alcohol consumption is my next mission as I have managed to cut down on the cookies.

Bloss

and I'll mention (again) hunger levels...i think it seems normal for people to eat (a meal) until they're stuffed and can't eat anymore...I'll maybe do that a couple of times a month, but the rest of the time I eat until around 90% full, and this works for me

advertisement

Back