advertisement

pfm Health Club

Thought I’d made progress. 132.4kg on Wednesday. Unbelievably 134.2kg today.

I’m not giving up, but I am going to switch to posting monthly for now. We’re in the middle of a house sale/purchase, and lots of other life/work stuff. I think lifestyle is the key phrase here, and if all pans out as hoped, things should get easier.

I'm going to be tough here. There's no real reason to postpone progress, or delay until a certain set of conditions are met. If you've plateaued a little, then switch things a little - I'm keen for you to be making small changes to the 5 of your 5:2. Slightly smaller portions, being a bit more disciplined in-between meals, replacing some of your calorie dense food with green vegetables are all ideas, just pick one.

All meant with kindness and best intentions.

At last. Job done. 69.6kg today. That's 13kg of lard gone the journey. When I started about six months ago I though getting under 75kg would be tough. It has been but it's actually been getting easier in terms of what to eat/not eat. It's now become normal not to eat bad things for 90% of the time. The other 10% I'll do what I want.

I think I'm officially a proper skinny cyclist now. Thanks to CD for the help and advice.

At last. Job done. 69.6kg today. That's 13kg of lard gone the journey. When I started about six months ago I though getting under 75kg would be tough. It has been but it's actually been getting easier in terms of what to eat/not eat. It's now become normal not to eat bad things for 90% of the time. The other 10% I'll do what I want.

I think I'm officially a proper skinny cyclist now. Thanks to CD for the help and advice.

Well done. Its always what you learn that is the most valuable.

The bizarre bit is after serving smaller portions, sometimes I cannot manage to finish the meal

Bloss

Yesterday I kicked the ‘revised health plan’ off. Because the battery had died on the scales (honest, guv!) I had to guess my weight, but last I weighed myself it was around 84Kg and it’s fairly stable so I’ve assumed 85Kg. I used to measure and record each meal quite accurately into MyFitnessPal, but at some point stopped doing that and started guessing - a mistake.

I’ve a fairly sedentary lifestyle *except* for my running, which - at upwards of 40 miles per week - will have a big impact on calorific needs. However, my ecosystem of health devices - Fitbit, Garmin - and their respective apps all seem to play along fairly nicely and those additional calories get added to my daily allowance. My ‘baseline’ (maintenance) intake, it seems, is 2220 KCal/day, which seems reasonable but doesn’t go a long way when you enjoy your rice and pasta as I do. The danger faced is that eating beyond that number makes assumptions about the actual energy expenditure of my running, which is not an exact science. But, a 7 mile easy run (in just over an hour) seems to burn about 700 KCal, so over the course of the day I ate around 3000 KCal.

I’ve decided not to focus on losing weight at present, as with two marathons to run within the next two months losing weight could dramatically impact my performance (though that’s nothing spectacular). So, maintenance, erring on just a little under (net) seems to be the way to go. A change of job has also robbed me of around 10k additional steps-per-day of walking (due to driving now) so I’m resolved to also go for more walks. And I’m doing 10 push-ups per day, plus two light weight-lifting sessions per week.

All that said, I do need now to look at what I am eating, not just how much energy it provides - I need nutritional balance as well as elevated electrolyte intake - but this is a big positive first step into joining the dots on my holistic health goals...

The danger faced is that eating beyond that number makes assumptions about the actual energy expenditure of my running, which is not an exact science. But, a 7 mile easy run (in just over an hour) seems to burn about 700 KCal, so over the course of the day I ate around 3000 KCal.

Yep, this is a common mistake that the modern apps can lull you into.

To be absolutely honest with you I would not add the calorie allowance of exercise at all - for all the efficiency reasons I've bored HarryB with, it will be a gross over estimate. If you did a 7 mile run I'd allow about 150-200 calories max, and I'd make that protein biased, something like a shake or a high protein yoghurt with about 15g of protein for 140 cals. Also I'd only eat moderate amounts of carbs on your training/ running days.

Weight loss would improve your performance, not damage it. You only need to carb load in the 24-36 hrs prior to your race.

I hear what you’re saying but 200 KCal for a 7-mile run seems too little. I just walked 5K or so and that was about 300KCal (though some of that will clearly be the baseline energy during hour or so I spent doing it). I’ve tried training to a deficit (as reported by MFP) and I get incredibly sluggish and tired when I do. I doubt I would function so well if I cut back that much, though equally I’m trying not to eat my way through all the ‘earned’ allowance either- some kind of happy medium is probably best. I should try to find those efficiency reasons you mention, do you know on what page they are?

Edit: all of this being said, I’m game to try it as an experiment and see how I go. I’m just wondering how I might survive a day on 2220 KCal and still train properly. I’ve had bran flakes and a lunch of noodles today, plus (I admit) two biscuits. That leaves me about 1100 KCal between now and bedtime, if I don’t use any of my ‘earnings’. I’m gonna be hungry :)

when I run on the treadmill - I tend to burn ~100KCal per 1km (given my weight, age and speed)...and I tend to do between 3-5km..

Well done. Its always what you learn that is the most valuable.

Indeed. And I've learnt a lot about my own body as well as disciplining myself to consider what I eat instead of just shoving it in my gob thinking "I'll burn those calories off later"

The best thing I've learnt (although I actually knew it from pro cycling but didn't think it applied to me) is that dropping weight (fat) can hugely enhance cycling performance.

I wanted to lose weight in order to get better on the bike. At almost 63 that's a tough ask. But the last time I was going this well was 2012. I'm happy with that

Never eat standing up.

It’s hard, but avoiding slipping that extra bit of cheese or whatever in your mouth when making a sandwich or cooking can make a difference.

Weight still going down slowly, 14st 9lbs.

The warm weather sent me rifling through my drawers for my shorts. I have put several pairs away in storage as they were too big. \o/

advertisement

Back