advertisement

Pet peeves in films/tv

Spaceships that aren’t rotating yet have gravity on board.
In the TV series ‘The Expanse’ gravity is created by the forward momentum (linear acceleration) of the spaceship (so the decks are arranged like skyscrapers and the front of the ship is actually the top).

Geek mode off…

In the TV series ‘The Expanse’ gravity is created by the forward momentum (linear acceleration) of the spaceship (so the decks are arranged like skyscrapers and the front of the ship is actually the top).

Geek mode off…
Doesn't that require constant acceleration,?

People who drive their cars into deep, freezing cold rivers and spend inordinate amounts of time underwater rescuing passengers, looking for stuff they dropped etc. I wonder they don’t check the tyres while they’re down there.

@Bob McC. It does, and if you watch, this is shown in the programme. To travel, the ships first "burn" to constantly accelerate, then at some point half way, they turn around (causing a brief period of floating as there is no acceleration) before engaging the engines in the opposite direction to slow down. In both "burn" phases, any loose objects will be pulled towards the bottom of the ship, creating a gravity-like effect.
The hint is that they refer to the sustained G-force produced by the engines, and that's something that only happens under acceleration.

The mountaineering action scenes where a rope or other piece of equipment gradually unravels under load as the protagonist struggles to gain a foothold, grab a hand, etc. Also the way that people can hang by one hand, sometimes with someone else hanging from the other hand or a leg, for minutes at a time.

Some of these things (slow car chases, etc) are just a device to get around the practicalities of filming highly dynamic events. It feels a bit churlish to object to them in films where the suspension of disbelief is part of just going along for the ride.

When running away someone will fall over, usually the woman or young person.

When hanging from a rope,ledge,railing you must let go with one hand then grab back on.

Pete

@Bob McC. It does, and if you watch, this is shown in the programme. To travel, the ships first "burn" to constantly accelerate, then at some point half way, they turn around (causing a brief period of floating as there is no acceleration) before engaging the engines in the opposite direction to slow down. In both "burn" phases, any loose objects will be pullevity a towards the bottom of the ship, creating a gravity-like effect.
The hint is that they refer to the sustained G-force produced by the engines, and that's something that only happens under acceleration.
Cool. According to General Relativity this is indeed the same as experiencing gravity on Earth - this was Einstein's "happiest thought" https://www.sciencemusings.com/albert-einsteins-most-happy-thought/. General Relativity says, on Earth, the objects supporting our weight e.g. the floor, chair etc. are actually accelerating us upward in the local frame of reference, forcing us away from an inertial path (geodesic).

Movies that try to change history. You know the ones, eg U571. Just why?
Propaganda. It then BECOMES history. Like Black Hawk Down, where the accepted story was of the crew saving a family. She was interviewed some time later and said they actually used them as human shields. Hollywood is the most incredible propaganda machine ever, as it is not even recognised as such so often.

Person runs away, chases shout ‘stop, come back here’, the other alternative is ‘stop police’. This never works.
I vaguely remember a Police Officer describing the difference between UK Police and US Police: In the US they shout "Stop! or I'll shoot" in the UK they shout "Stop! or I'll shout Stop! again...

I vaguely remember a Police Officer describing the difference between UK Police and US Police: In the US they shout "Stop! or I'll shoot" in the UK they shout "Stop! or I'll shout Stop! again...
In a modern film they would both have the f-word included at least 2 times and probably the c- as well, and the American cop would shoot anyway.

Most police here would probably avoid the chasing bit as they are too fat;) May still be able to wheeze out the word ‘stop’.

That's a Robin Williams gag, from one of his standup shows.

I'm sure you're right about the gun. It shouldn't put off people from Saving Private Ryan - I read a while back that soldiers actually part of the landings rate the beginning of that film as unusually (and of course horribly) realistic.

My main pet peeve:

The German defences would have been able to lay down a lot of suppressing fire with the MG08s (Maxim) - in Private Ryan, they made the mistake of thinking that German forces only had the '42.

advertisement

Back