advertisement

Pet peeves in films/tv

I don't let any of this sort of thing bother me or compromise my enjoyment of movies and TV programmes. At the end of the day they are generally meant to be entertaining and/or escapist, and many of the most popular are largely preposterous nonsense anyway. For instance, any James Bond movie is full to the brim with ludicrous plot lines, utterly unrealistic stunts and batshit crazy scenarios so who cares if tiny details are incorrect such as the plane tyres squealing when it lands or an accent is not 100% accurate... I just enjoy them for what they are, warts and all.
Sure of course and 99% of the time that's true for me also. Just over time you get to notice trends and occasionally they are pretty blatant in a scene and just make me do a virtual "roll my eyes" for a moment.

Oh. And while I’m at it!

Nuclear explosions don’t sound nuffink like wot ‘ollywood says.

1min 40sec in, if you’re in a hurry:

Interesting. It's surprisingly high pitched and short too. It doesn't even seem to overwhelm the microphone so gives the impression it's not defeningly loud either.

And I thought they were chimps in PotA? They can be nasty buggers.
Yes in the main they're Chimps, but the "military" is made up of Gorilla. I'm not sure I'd say Gorilla's are passive animals, whilst they are vegitarian they're capable of being agressive under the right set of circumstances. Much like Chimps really, wild ones will defend their territory and you wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of either.

I'm sure you're right about the gun. It shouldn't put off people from Saving Private Ryan - I read a while back that soldiers actually part of the landings rate the beginning of that film as unusually (and of course horribly) realistic.

My main pet peeve:
Interestingly I've seen it said that "The Longest Day" was a far more accurate depiction of the invasion. Maybe that relates to the film in it's entirity rather than the beach landing scenes themselves though.

For example: a police chief is explaining a situation to his assembled crew, he says a few words, then one of his right hand men takes over with another few words of explanation, then his next in command jumps in with a bit more, then it goes back to the chief, then…….
…. and between them they somehow get to the end of it.
Just doesn’t happen like that!
Literally just watched a scene like that in NCIS, where the 5 NCIS members all took turns to say two sentences each (only one secntence at a time) explaining to the perpetrator how they knew it was them.. it was just ridiculous.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how much it irks me that Trek was canned after three seasons.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where Nomad has gone before!​

It’s right bloody there in the opener! Mind you, it has proved remarkably fertile in other ways, but …. FIVE YEAR MISSION dammit! Five years!

But … man … what a … show .. it was!

Joe

Nobody ever goes to the toilet. (Except in "Ice Cold in Alex")
You've obviously not seen Rudiger Vogler take a very real shit in Wim Wenders' 'Kings of the Road'.

Wim Wenders' interviewed about it far later....

"That’s gonna pursue me for the rest of my life. The truth behind it is that we shot the scene with the guy taking a leak, and then the camera assistant said that we had to do it one more time because the camera jammed, and it’s not on film. I had to break the news to my actor, and I said we had to shoot it again. And he said, well, I can’t do it one more time, I mean, I can only fake it, and I said, well then, just take a shit…. in a provocative way because I thought he’s never gonna do it. And before I knew it, he was leaning down and he was actually taking a shit, and we all were breathless. I didn’t say cut or anything, because he was doing it, so we’re filming it, and I knew in my heart we were never going to use because…. you can’t do that.

Then we came to the editing room, and the editor said, you’re not going to use that, and I said no, but then he said what are we going to do without it, and I said, go ahead, we can always take it out again.

Then it became this thing, because he began teasing me that I didn’t have the guts to keep it in, and it became a game, and it stayed in, and then it was too late to take it out, and it was forever in.

It was the first film I showed in Cannes, and the director of the festival came to me and said, “We all love your film very much, but you have to take that scene out. The jury is not gonna reward it.” But it was too late, because now that it’s in, now I have to insist that it’s in.

I regretted it very often, but then again, at one point, I had to stand up for it. It followed me for the rest of my life. The actor, poor Rüdiger, it marked his life."

Interestingly I've seen it said that "The Longest Day" was a far more accurate depiction of the invasion. Maybe that relates to the film in it's entirity rather than the beach landing scenes themselves though.
Yebbut ... I'll stop here, hah!

Last edited:
Shouldn’t that be “number of car crashes”?

;)
If you are talking about the Dukes of Hazzard, "amount" appears to be correct.
7f01b4c66a1572ad6292cabbfc0f7f98.jpg

I’ve never understood the conceit of characters in historical dramas using flowery language. Surely literacy standards would have been far lower then?

advertisement

Back